Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Major Mitchell cockatoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Major Mitchell cockatoo Reply with quote

On the endangered list here due to habitat issues, I'm hoping I'm posting exclusive to Mflenses in the wild pics as in never posted here from the wild pics for this forum.
Lens used Telyt 560mm f6.8 Camera K 20D.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful bird...I never knew exactly what a Major Mitchel looked like...is it a variety of cockatoo? They love nesting in those old gum trees!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira, Leadbetters cockatoo or pink cockatoo, habitat is the Mallee area. Their preferred food is the cones from the white cypress.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos John. Do you know what is the tree the bird is on?

I'm not sure to understand what you mean when you say:

Quote:
I'm hoping I'm posting exclusive to Mflenses in the wild pics as in never posted here from the wild pics for this forum.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, my meaning is first pics of this parrot in the wild photos posted here. I know pics have been posted elsewhere of this parrot in the wild and I suspect I might have posted pics from the zoo in the past. The tree the bird is on is a eucalyptus, probably a river red gum recovering from drought damage. One thing we saw in our travels was trees nearly dead but rejuvenated by a very wet year. I'll post pics in another thread of some of that recovery.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent captures from a lovely creature!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation! I forgot to add great shooting into the back light,I know how hard that is... Very Happy