Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

400 mm Petri 6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: 400 mm Petri 6.3 Reply with quote

I took pictures with my 400 mm Petri lens the other day. I could not reach infinity.

What is the register distance for this camera lens? Does anyone own this and, if so, can they reach infinity?

Any comments about how good this lens is? I think it is built of super quality but I am having trouble reaching infinity or it was too dark outside or my diopter was fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzy. I was pointing at clouds when trying to assess infinity since nothing nearby was interesting.

Indoors it is sharp as a tack!!!!! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton, you have provided no information about the mount at all, so how can you expect anyone to help you? Petri lenses came in bayonet or screw mount. Register distance is easily found with Google.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri M42 lenses have the same register as all other M42 lenses so should hit infinity.

6.3/400 sounds like one of the common doublet in a long tube type lenses, does it look like other Petri lenses with a silver ring near the back or is it one of the 80s ones that were rebadged from other makers?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be screw mount, there is no way short of mount surgery to mount the Petri bayonet on anything else.

So M42.

Petri didn't offer a 400mm for the first, early Petri SLR, 1958-62. They just had an uncommon 500mm made by Kyoei - which is a very fine lens btw.

So his Petri 40mmm probably dates from the 1970's when Petri had Cosina make an M42 camera. The lenses were also all third-party contracts I believe. If Newton posts a picture of it we would probably recognize it. I am guessing, sight unseen, its probably a Tokina.

Possible reasons for an infinity problem ? Theres always the probability of poor quality control. This should be easy enough to fix though, most long lenses have a way to loosen the focus grip and set it back a bit to adjust the travel.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
It has to be screw mount, there is no way short of mount surgery to mount the Petri bayonet on anything else.

So M42.

Petri didn't offer a 400mm for the first, early Petri SLR, 1958-62. They just had an uncommon 500mm made by Kyoei - which is a very fine lens btw.

So his Petri 40mmm probably dates from the 1970's when Petri had Cosina make an M42 camera. The lenses were also all third-party contracts I believe. If Newton posts a picture of it we would probably recognize it. I am guessing, sight unseen, its probably a Tokina.

Possible reasons for an infinity problem ? Theres always the probability of poor quality control. This should be easy enough to fix though, most long lenses have a way to loosen the focus grip and set it back a bit to adjust the travel.

Yes, the later M42 Petri lenses are made by other makers and the two I've tried were nowhere near as good as the Petri bayonet lenses I've tried.

I bought a 135mm 'Petri' lens thinking it was the classic silver-ring bayonet lens but sadly, it's a not-great third-party cheap lens and the Petri writing on the end isn't even in the right Petri typeface.

6.3/400 will be one of the T-mount doublet at the end of a tube type lenses, they have a short T mount to M42 tube on the end, I have one and it's crap, mine is badged Optomax but they are also common under many other names, sharp only in the centre, terrible away from the centre, poor contrast, lots of CA fringing, poor colours, just not very good at all. The 5.6/300 and 8/500 versions of the lens I also have and they are the same - crap, sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheap generic 400's I've seen are actually 4-element jobs, with two-element group in front and a pair in the back. I've had decent luck with them.

I have used several actual two-element long lenses, all of them identifiable as to maker - that Petri 500 is one of them. Some are great, some are so-so.

Sharp in the center is what one usually wants with these, for the nature/sports stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocusG, sorry I shoot with Canon EOS. When I have problems like this that I post questions about, it is almost always a Canon question or issue. Even Googling the register distance would have no meaning to me because all the experts are here. Wink Do you have any idea if there is a problem with Canon?

I took some more shots with it a few minutes ago over the past six hours and it clearly does not reach infinity but does provide some outstanding pictures up close to the distance it was designed for but no more. There is obviously a problem with the mount.

Ian, yes, it has the same back end.

Luisalegra, yes, it is the long tube thingy. I think mine is the 2 element thingy. I did not know they are cheap. They certainly are not easy to find and they do sell for quite a bit on the market. I think the quality is high for a 400 mm lens. I dont know about this Petri though but so far it is one of my most impressive sets of brand lenses in the series of junk that I have. I am that attracted to them. I do not know why and I cannot explain this. I guess, they are cheap and old and useless. Sad

Anyways, mine has the T-mount, the classic Petri or whomever makes it, T-mount. I do not own the M42 mount and gave up on finding one with it. I made my own adapter. It works. I don't get to infinity though even though I should, as you are mentioning. It is frustrating because it is a nice piece of glass! Very frustrating!!!

I must be missing something. I scanned everyone's responses and may have missed something. I will re-read carefully. I also have not downloaded my pictures yet to really know if it is indeed crap. I will let you know how it shoots. Thanks. Sorry if I am of the opinion it is a great lens. So far I have been blown away by the results on the viewing screen!

luisalegria wrote:

I will post a picture of it, the lens. One of my pics. Wink It is the exact same length as the M42 400 mm that I own---just like it. I just want it to reach infinity and would like some help. I think it has to be a decent piece of glass out in infinity land......if I can get it to get there.

Show me how to adjust it....the screw thingy. I don't know if Tokina makes this one. I don't really know how many elements are in it. I have a feeling it is a great lens, if I can get it to go to infinity.......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you made your own mount, that's probably where the issue is! I'm presuming you don't have a filter on the front? I've had lenses where the filter was crap and knocked infinity out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No filter. I asked a manufacturer to make a mount for the world, so they are working on it. Mine works for now. I tried to measure distances with the best ways I could and matched it with that of an M42 but I know that is not precision and I do not know if absolute precision is needed on the mount to get to infinity, but it is so damn close that I am disappointed.

Anyone else been able to reach to infinity using their Petri glass? I have a desire for it to be a good piece of glass so that is why I am curious. Please pictures, turn out beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I made my own adapter. It works. I don't get to infinity though even though I should, as you are mentioning. It is frustrating because it is a nice piece of glass! Very frustrating!!!

I must be missing something. I scanned everyone's responses and may have missed something.

The missing thing is registration distance (as mentioned by others): if you build an adapter without knowing the registration distance of the lens system and of the target system, you will be able to reach infinity only by chance.
Here a list of registration distances: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Since T2 has 55mm and EOS 44mm, your adapter perhaps resulted over 11mm of length. If less, infinity is reached before the end of focus range (check it). One adapter at random: http://cgi.ebay.it/T2-T-mount-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-450D-5D-50D-XSi-XS-Adapter-/260489219386

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Petri lens that I know of has any collectors interest.

Petri was never a premium brand, quite the opposite. Some of their lenses were however quite good in fact if not by reputation. All or nearly all were relabeled from third party makers

400/6.3 presets are quite cheap in the US market. There were lots of these sold here. Spiratone and Astranar, among lots of others, were two very common brands under which different makers 400mm's were sold by mail-order as "girl watching" lenses. $20 is a decent price for a functioning 400/6.3 of this sort.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if that adapter will work for it. I think it is the inverse of the adapter, perhaps, a Petri T mount.

eBay sellers are selling these lenses for over $120. The value ultimately lies in what someone is willing to pay. I think for a 400 mm lens, it is pretty decent. The alternative is to pay a thousand or more. I think it is worth it.

My first shot today with it. I cannot remember if I shot this through a car window or if it was down. Skyscrapers in the background.

Just one of many pics I took with it. I checked some other forums and there were a number of people speaking well of Petri. I could care less if it is a collector's item. I don't collect or sell. I use all my lenses (24/7). I think almost all my lenses, especially the manual ones, are junk anyways so I am happy to be playing with junk to get the junky pictures I do get!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use all your lenses 24/7? Wow, that's impressive to be doing nothing else but using all your lenses all of the time. Laughing

Anyway, that sample certainly looks ok for a cheap lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luis...generally these old lenses shouldn't sell for much. Anyone advertising them for huge amounts on ebay as "buy it nows" is unlikely to sell them. But...they can be useful! I took an old Hanimex 400/6.3 out yesterday (pictures will be in the Digital Gallery MF section later today). I used an older version of the same lens a few months back and caught this:

Little Egret looking over the water by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I am not sure if that adapter will work for it. I think it is the inverse of the adapter, perhaps, a Petri T mount.

It is indeed the right one (there is no particular interest in having the inverse). It is for T and T2 mount lenses (sort of standard, non Petri specific), to put them on Canon EOS bodies. There are even cheaper versions around.

newton wrote:

eBay sellers are selling these lenses for over $120. The value ultimately lies in what someone is willing to pay. I think for a 400 mm lens, it is pretty decent. The alternative is to pay a thousand or more. I think it is worth it.

I'm observing 400mm and 500mm since some time, because I want one too. However, prices are lower. For a 400mm auction, I'm aiming at <40€ (shipping included); in Buy-it-now, prices are as low as 65€ (shipping included). Something more for 500mm. With 100-120 euros you find brand new versions of those old lenses (Danubia, Samyang, etc: not sure about quality). With a thousand you buy Zeiss, on these sizes Wink .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
newton wrote:

It is indeed the right one (there is no particular interest in having the inverse). It is for T and T2 mount lenses (sort of standard, non Petri specific), to put them on Canon EOS bodies. There are even cheaper versions around.

newton wrote:

I'm observing 400mm and 500mm since some time, because I want one too. However, prices are lower. For a 400mm auction, I'm aiming at <40€ (shipping included); in Buy-it-now, prices are as low as 65€ (shipping included). Something more for 500mm. With 100-120 euros you find brand new versions of those old lenses (Danubia, Samyang, etc: not sure about quality). With a thousand you buy Zeiss, on these sizes Wink .

I have 5.6/300, 6.3/400 and 8/500, paid very little for them and never use them as I have a Tair-3C 300mm that is much better.

If you want a 6.3/400 or 8/500, drop me a PM you can have either of mine for just the shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a 300 mm. The 400 mm is too long for my everyday shooting. Wink. Ha ha!

But yeah a shorter lens is what is next. I have no knowledge or experience with TAIR so have to wait until I do the research on these.

Regarding Russian lenses, I am out of reach for them. I live in the United States and until they make there way over here in huge volumes at low low low prices, they are not for me. Lucky you live in a proximity to these. I, however, buy on the used market for my junk that has stayed and been very well kept by collector's and families for the past 30-40 years preserved in good old fashion American ways, which I am proud of, with little worry or risk. Send me one of your TAIRS and then I think it would be a snap like crossing the English Channel. BTW, congrats on the Royal Wedding thingy. I know I won't be watching. Wink. lol

Last edited by newton on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
You use all your lenses 24/7? Wow, that's impressive to be doing nothing else but using all your lenses all of the time. Laughing

Anyway, that sample certainly looks ok for a cheap lens.

Yeah, Martin, thanks! LOL. I shouldn't divulge my personal life on a public forum, but I do sleep with my lenses and my camera, too. My large bed is a sea of lenses. I am very lucky enough to still be buoyant! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:

I'm observing 400mm and 500mm since some time, because I want one too.

I would get one. They are A LOT of fun to shoot with. There are times when I go shooting with it, I attract the cops and swat teams, as I did a few weeks ago. Seven police units showed up!!!!! No one else's new or old telephoto lenses attracted anything like that until I showed up! LOL. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
newton wrote:
I made my own adapter. It works. I don't get to infinity though even though I should, as you are mentioning. It is frustrating because it is a nice piece of glass! Very frustrating!!!

I must be missing something. I scanned everyone's responses and may have missed something.

The missing thing is registration distance (as mentioned by others): if you build an adapter without knowing the registration distance of the lens system and of the target system, you will be able to reach infinity only by chance.
Here a list of registration distances: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Since T2 has 55mm and EOS 44mm, your adapter perhaps resulted over 11mm of length. If less, infinity is reached before the end of focus range (check it). One adapter at random: http://cgi.ebay.it/T2-T-mount-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-450D-5D-50D-XSi-XS-Adapter-/260489219386

I do not think this is the right adapter. The eBay seller's ad is mislabeled.

I checked that link above. This is a Petri bayonet mount with a register distance of 45.5 mm, the same for as C/Y. Canon EOS has a register distance of 44 mm. This distance works for C/Y.

I should be able to get to infinity and I do not believe the proper EOS to Petri bayonet mount is sold.

I am probably off by just a bit and want to ask how to fix that. If I shorten the distance a bit, do I get closer to infinity? I think this might be possible with a little bit of work. Suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton: I based my suggestion on what you wrote here:

newton wrote:

Anyways, mine has the T-mount, the classic Petri or whomever makes it, T-mount.

If your lens has not T-mount, of course you cannot use a T-mount adapter Wink . If it has a T-mount, such adapter is definitely ok.
T-mount is a 42x0.75 screw, basically. As already asked, put a picture of the mount to help in recognition. It could even be that has a T-mount to Petri bayonet on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the logic. Thanks! Wink

Here is the pic. It is in the middle of the thread.

http://forum.mflenses.com/i-found-a-petri-lens-t37915.html

Ironically, the mount is like a Canon T2 mount but Petri's is different. I find it cool that Canon adopted or paid homage to Petri in making their EOS mounts.

If you directly try to fit a Petri bayonet into your DSLR it almost fits with no adapter!!!!!! Canon EOS and Petri ----pretty damn close.

Check the link and my pics. I need to figure out a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I like the logic. Thanks! Wink

Here is the pic. It is in the middle of the thread.

http://forum.mflenses.com/i-found-a-petri-lens-t37915.html

Ironically, the mount is like a Canon T2 mount but Petri's is different. I find it cool that Canon adopted or paid homage to Petri in making their EOS mounts.

If you directly try to fit a Petri bayonet into your DSLR it almost fits with no adapter!!!!!! Canon EOS and Petri ----pretty damn close.

Check the link and my pics. I need to figure out a solution.

I did not see a 400mm among the pictures (which would have been more useful). If you mean this one, it is not a T mount (and neither a T2 mount that by the way is not a Canon mount). As suggested by Ian, is a Petri mount. The hypothesis of other readers here was that your lens is a T mount because most of 400/500mm of those years were made with T/T2 mount and adapted (which, missing a picture, is still an option).

I think you are confusing mount names (even in the last post)... T and T2 mounts are specific screw type mounts, not a generic name for some mount. There is no Canon T2 mount.
It is hard to tell EOS is a copy of Petri mount... some more expert member will tell you the difference, however Petri is breech lock style, EOS is bayonet style. Many mounts have three tabs. However

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know the terminology. Sorry. Thanks for the clarification even though it may take more examples to fully get it. So three tabs is almost standard...okay cool.

Bayonet vs mount
Male vs. Female?

Why T in the name? What is root? Is T related to T2. I don't have any idea.

I will post a pic of the 400 mm. I am tempted to change it to an M42, but I have other Petris that are not going to infinity because of my home-made mount. It needs to be pushed back a tad bit to reach infinity...the real trick.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the picture I promised. Please tell me what the mount is and if there is an adapter available somewhere for EOS. Thanks! (Sorry for the flash, I was being lazy.)