Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikon Contax IIa + Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50mm/2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Zeiss Ikon Contax IIa + Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50mm/2.0 Reply with quote

This wekend was a very good one - in regards of photo equipment buying Smile
Otherwise it was not that good - mother in law is on visit here Wink
OK, have to be honest: She is a great help for us.

I found a Zeiss Ikon Contax IIa (color dial) with Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50mm/2.0 for 30 Euro on a flea market.
The same camera like Orio has / had:
http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-iia-t15902,highlight,%2Bcontax.html

I do not know if I should sell this camera to raise some money, but probably the money I get for an old Leitz lens will be enough for the first time.
This rangefinder camera is used, it has Zeiss bumps, and the lens looks bad, has fungus on the front lens. Foccussing is a bit hard, but I think my finger gets used to it. I hope I get used to the rangefinder (there the last part, I think some rubber is missing).

I tested some years ago on a Photokina a Leica M6 some hours long, and a Leica 0 series shorter time. And I own some simplier rangefinder cameras (Minolta, Canon..)
Because of this experiences I thought rangefinders are not my kind of camera.
But now I have to re-think that. With this old camera, camera history touches me Smile

And I am impressed that this at least 50 years old camera seems to work just fine. It shows very high workmanship:
The self timer and longer shutter speeds seem to work.
I think even the 1/1250s shutter speed is working correctly - as far as I can hear the difference.

The Contax II camera was shown on the first Photokina in 1950. The last 1961 - 50 years ago - and 10 years before my birth Smile
The color dial version seems to be a bit rare - the webpage Orio posted states ~ 3000 pieces.
Because I am not a collector, I probably better sell it - I am a user, and my cameras are used - like a hammer or another tool. But I have an old Rolleiflex which I didn´t use really - own it only to play sometimes with it Smile

On the weekend I exposed the first roll of film, but probably I had a like leak this time, not sure if the film is not overexposed - or even possible that it was exposed before.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, it is a beautiful and precious object.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio!

Do you use your Contax IIa, or is is a collector item in your equipment?
Or did you sold it?

I have sometimes thougth about a Leica IIIf. Thought I would like to have that camera to play a bit with it. Now this came reality - not absolut exactly a Leica, but its rival.

Some years ago I dreamed about an old sturdy Nikon camera, and found a cheap F2-AS with lenses Smile Bought it, and played with it. And exposed one film. Afterwards I sold it. Dream becomes true, and I was satisfied. Never missed the camera afterwards.

The old Rolleiflex Standard TLR from (I think) 1937 was not a dream. I bought it, and due to it´s bad shape didn´t thought about reselling.

The Contax IIa body is good enough to sell, the Leitz lens from same day is as new - much too good for me, I must sell it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

Do you use your Contax IIa, or is is a collector item in your equipment?
Or did you sold it?

I use it sometimes, but lately I am using more the Contax II prewar.
Unless in very difficult financial situation, I don't plan to sell any of the two.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Congrats!!! I love them better than any other 35mm cameras from that ages. I look forward your shoots!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Attila!
I am not sure if I make many photos with that camera.
I have only one single lens for it - in contrast to the many, many lenses I could use on my EOS cameras.
That old Zeiss Sonnar lens could be interesting - but not on a Rangfinder were I don´t see the flares from the sun on that old glass.

Orio, how much time you have for photography?
I have not enough time to photograph with my EOS cameras and some lenses. Don´t know when to use the Contax IIa or the Rolleiflex Standard TLR. I am pretty happy to work the last years full digital - without the need to let someone develop the film and make prints / scans.

But I have to admit: I miss some effects from my darkroom times, like the border from film and a self cut film mask.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Serial number Reply with quote

Hello Orio!
Your serial number list of the Contax IIa nd IIIa is interesting, thank you!
http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-iia-iiia-serial-numbers-t16023,highlight,%2Bcontax.html

But I am wondering.
I read that there are conversions from older models to newer standard, probably that could be the reason:

My camera has P 98426 on both places.
Which is after this list
P, 97,001-100,000, 11/1949 to 6/1950
an early one of the first batches before Photokina 1950.

But for example here
http://www.zeisscamera.com/articles_cdbd.shtml
is stated that color dial was made since 1954.

Do one know, if factory conversions from black dial to color dial could be identified?

Need to make some photos of it/her after the basic cleaning!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Thank you, Attila!
I am not sure if I make many photos with that camera.
I have only one single lens for it - in contrast to the many, many lenses I could use on my EOS cameras.
That old Zeiss Sonnar lens could be interesting - but not on a Rangfinder were I don´t see the flares from the sun on that old glass.

I have same thought when I bought mine I would test and re-sell , still with me and I did put it to maintenance.
Jupiter-12 , Jupiter-9 are inexpensive and very, very good lenses.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone V (what is your name?)
I will not claim to be an expert of Contax rangefinders when I am not.
I think that on this forum there are persons more informed and knowledgeable than me - Exaklaus for instance, and other ones also.
I have little time for photography, so I understand perfectly what you mean.
I have a very small darkroom with an enlarger - I call it my nano-darkroom. Rolling Eyes
I barely have the room to turn around Laughing
But I agree with you, the joy of darkroom - of printing especially - is unparalleled by any digital editing.
Photographing with these old jewels of the best German technology is still a thrill even in these modern days. There is something about operating these pieces of superbe craftsmanship that no digital camera can ever give.
For some tasks, however, digital is really a more convenient medium.
But I think it is possible to use and enjoy both - with some selection effort! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus is my real name.
ZoneV is a name I took long time ago as I worked more in the darkroom, and read some things about the zone system from Ansel Adams.

To select what to do with the time is a hard thing - I have still some 40 ideas on my photo DIY list. And some work for my homepage...
But I agree, the old mechanic cameras like the Contax could be a joy for use. Probably even without film inside Smile
I sometimes play with the shutters of old lenses...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
...I have same thought when I bought mine I would test and re-sell , still with me and I did put it to maintenance.
Jupiter-12 , Jupiter-9 are inexpensive and very, very good lenses.

Yes, probably I find some lenses that fit by accident.

After further testing yesterday eveneing it seems that the 1/1250s shutter time doesn´t work as it should. From visual observion it seems that the slit is not open over the full frame.
Film test will tell me more.
From the few years with digital I am no more used to wait for external film development Smile
But sometimes a bit more slowness is not bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complete camera Contax IIa Color Dial

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm/2.0

Camera detail

Further details of the camera

Made with Canon EOS 1000D and Chinon 50mm/1.7 Macro or Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 25mm/0.95

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a beauty ! I can't wait to get back my Contax from maintenance.