Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparing Zeiss 1.4/50 AEJ, Zuiko OM 1.4/50, Zuiko OM 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Comparing Zeiss 1.4/50 AEJ, Zuiko OM 1.4/50, Zuiko OM 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Hi,

this is my first post here. After quite a while of consuming, I though it was time to participate in this forum.

It happens that I have 3 50mm lenses and I did some comparison shots with EOS 5D and 7D. If you are interested, have a look at the results. The description is in German language, but even if you don't understand that, it should be pretty clear, what I've done.

The lenses:
Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 (C/Y), S/N 6026471, Made in Japan (AEJ)
Olympus Zuiko MC Auto-S 1:1.4/50 mm, S/N 901758
Olympus Zuiko Auto-S 1:1.8/50 mm, S/N 5628896

The tests:
1) Sharpness in frame center, EOS 7D, manual focus with liveview at 10x magnification at 1.4 / 2.0 ( 1.8 ) / 2.8 / 4.0 / 8.0
2) Vignetting on EOS 5D at 1.4 / 2.0 ( 1.8 ) / 2.8 / 4.0
3) 4) 5) Example shots with EOS 5D at 1.4 / 2.0 ( 1.8 ) / 2.8 / 4.0 / 8.0

The Pictures: Here

Please let me know, what you think about this. Medium term I'll have to get rid of one or two of those lenses (most likely the Zuikos), as I already have enough glass and a Leica R 2/50 is about to join the collection this weak. Laughing

Last edited by hoacker on Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Zeiss 1.4/50 AEJ, Zuiko OM 1.4/50, Zuiko OM 1. Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:

The Pictures: http://dslr-forum.schwedenstuhl.de/vgl50/vgl50.html

Last edited by NikonD on Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, thank you. I'm quite impressed by the Zuikos. Considering the 1.8 weighs less than 200g...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cistron wrote:
Neat, thank you. I'm quite impressed by the Zuikos. Considering the 1.8 weighs less than 200g...

Yes, the 1.8 is really small and light. If there just wasn't that vignetting of the Zuikos... Sad

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Cistron wrote:

Yes, the 1.8 is really small and light. If there just wasn't that vignetting of the Zuikos... Sad

Yes, but the 1.4 Zuiko looks much better wide open than the Planar. And when shooting wideopen, main subjects are often centered.
If I were you, I'd sell the Planar and the 1.8 Zuiko

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
the 1.4 Zuiko looks much better wide open than the Planar.

True. Anyone can tell if the MM planar is performing better than AE?

exaklaus wrote:
If I were you, I'd sell the Planar and the 1.8 Zuiko

It's not that I needed to sell a lens, but the collection is growing. Just this morning a Auto Revuenon 1.4/55 did arrive, fungus on every lens element. After cleaning it's quite usable. Thursday I'll pick up a Cron 50 and a Nikkor PC Auto 2,5/105 from a dealer not too far away. So, that will be 5 manual lenses with 50/55mm focal length. How to explain this to my wife? Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:

Yes, but the 1.4 Zuiko looks much better wide open than the Planar.

I think it's a subjective preference. As far as I am concerned, while the Zuiko looks a bit sharper in the samples, I prefer, also in these samples, the blur of the Planar, and when shooting wide open the quality of the blur is often as important as the sharpness of the subject.
Also, we are talking of empirical tests, not scientifical measurements. In empirical tests several factors may not be 100% precise, and this, in the evaluation of sharpness (but also of chromatic aberration), is critical.

Especially with modern 50mm lenses, which are all based on the same basic optical scheme, I recommend to decide based on the actual use in taking real photos. Sometimes, lenses that look better in a test, may feel worse in the hands, and may perform less satisfactorily in some real world shooting conditions (example: have you tried testing these lenses in strong backlight situations?)

Last edited by Orio on Mon May 02, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Anyone can tell if the MM planar is performing better than AE?

Mine perform the same.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't do the test series to decide which one to keep and which to sell. I did the test because I had these lenses and I was curious about the results. I just wanted to share the results and discuss them.

Actually, I like the rendering of the Zeiss a bit better. Looking at the colored glass thing in the example it looks a bit more 3D to me. When I take a 50mm with me, I usually pick the Zeiss. I was a bit surprised that the Zuikos are that much sharper wide open.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't like in the samples from the Zuiko wide open are the very harsh bokeh highlights. Planar's are not smooth either, but Zuiko's are just too much. I mean, always based on your samples.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test, thanks for sharing. One important thing that is missing is a test for long focus distance/infinity. There the Contax will show it's magic.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
One important thing that is missing is a test for long focus distance/infinity. There the Contax will show it's magic.

Well, actually, I did shoot the Zeiss for quite a bit longer than the Zuikos. There have been some longer distance shots in between and I've been very pleased with the results. If I get the chance to shoot a long(er) distance comparison, I'll post it. In the meantime I'll enjoy the Zeiss until the Cron arrives...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shooting with OM stuff (I have both 50/1.4 and few 50/1.8, and also 55/1.2 and scratched 50/1.2 Smile ), but I have also tried that Planar. Well it didn´t bring better results, no doubt problem is in hands Laughing But the smallest, lightest and cheapest 50/1.8 always surprise me. Take a look at a picture, sadly it´s a bad scan from 13x18cm photo Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all three fifties tested here, and all of them are truly excellent. Technically, my copy of the Planar is slightly sharper and has less CA than my copy of 50/1.4 Zuiko (past-1,1M version); the Zeiss is also a more contrasty one. However, rendering wise, I prefer Zuiko style. The 1.8 version is superb for what it is, so choosing which one to grab is always a tough call.