Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cropping contest of silly image
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Cropping contest of silly image Reply with quote

Well, the price is only honor, but feel free to crop this rather silly image to something good. It is also allowed to rotate, rescale, change sharpness and contrast to increase 3D-ness, but the cropping is my main interest. Nothing can be manipulated away from the image by other means than the cropping action.

I was out trying to test sharpness and contrast of my beloved Leitz Macro Elmarit-R 60 2.8 stopped down to f5.6 (I normally shoot wide open). So there is massive detail, objects close and far, diagonality, perspective etc. Still I find it very hard to crop since there is always something distracting left (flagpole, lightpost, road gate, poster sign, etc). I normally crop to square or 1x1.5 ratio, but I tried something in between and still I didn't get something I liked.

Is it really hopeless?

Click on it to get a larger version.

Cheers
/T

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than try cropping, why not try editing out the detail you don't like. Sometimes it takes a bit of patience, but often it can be done in such a way to make a big difference. For example:

From this:

To this:

From this:

To this:

From this:

To this:

All those tall light poles in front of the building, and even that big one on the right side can be gotten rid of with a bit of patience.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the examples. Pretty impressive stuff.

Removing things with PS tools can be fairly easy with some patience as you say. But I'd like to improve on my cropping style and composition and have some other persons view on what can be interesting. Perhaps some distracting elements can be left in the image to improve on 3D feeling. Or it can be a part of this rather messy place, to show perspective and lead the eyes into the image. Or it is best to avoid them totally.
Things like that is what I'd like to experiment with.
I could have made several different crops and have a discussion about that, but then I'd not get to see the results as made with different eyes.

cheers
/T

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick edit in silkypix. Deciding on a crop for this image is not that easy, plus we don't know what you'd like the image to mean. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I quite like the photo as it is although Ludoo's crop is good as well as that white pole through the right hand side is a little distracting.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to add more sharpness or contrast.
Just cropping won't do any justice to that picture. You have to remove those 2 poles, the barrier and the banner on the bottom left hand corner.
What letters were there?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's my quicky attempt. I cropped the image first to one that I thought worked better. I removed a lot more than two poles, but I didn't remove the banner. Taking the banner out would be easy enough to do, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
No need to add more sharpness or contrast.
Just cropping won't do any justice to that picture. You have to remove those 2 poles, the barrier and the banner on the bottom left hand corner.
What letters were there?

Both letters are R Smile
I agree that the ad on lower left steals a lot of attention from the building.

Last edited by torbod on Sat May 14, 2011 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Okay, here's my quicky attempt. I cropped the image first to one that I thought worked better. I removed a lot more than two poles, but I didn't remove the banner. Taking the banner out would be easy enough to do, though.

That is very nice, at least the missing flag pole on the right. It clears up the image greatly together with the missing light posts on far left.

For me the focus of the image is the oddly built high building on top left (it is an old bakery, rebuilt to a super market) and the perspective (roof line) to the massive COOP FORUM letters on top of the roof. This in conjunction with the diagonals from the criss crossing road leading up to the upper parking deck.

What is left to distract me is the 72:- ad lower left, perhaps yellow banner mid right and road gate lower right.
Is the image getting a bit unrealistic when all clutter is removed?

Cheers
/T

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I honestly think it looks better with the clutter removed. People who will view the image most likely won't even realize that the clutter is removed. We tend to tune out power poles and light poles and other parts of a city's infrastructure anyway.

Okay, so here's another quicky attempt, this time with the offending sign, gate, and banner removed. I also noticed two light poles that I had truncated, but not entirely removed. I went ahead and took them out too.

It does open up a rather large empty space there now, but you'll have to be the judge as to which is better. Me, I prefer this one without the advertising.

Also, just so you can better see what all I did, here's a copy of the image where you had already placed a few arrows. I added more, for each item I removed, and also showing the crop.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice editing Michael!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

+1 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael. Good work, thats a lot of arrows. I tend to agree with you, less mess more focus on the real subject. Now it has become a more straight forward image without distractive elements.

Orio: Why not. Interesting idea. This is the purpose of the tread, to find different images within the image Smile
I would probably have cropped less tight on the left side for a less compressed look. on the building and rotating sign.

/T

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only crop I liked is an unconventional one. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I personally prefer is Carsten's. But I wonder why nobody thought of straightening the white building: since it's the focus of the picture, I think it really should be straight.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
But I wonder why nobody thought of straightening the white building

I did...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

The only crop I liked is an unconventional one. Wink

I like your crop. The only thing distracting is the light post to the right, but the crop gives a nice perspective.

/T

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing how you guys can make things disappear!
I hardly could but also found signs to the far left and right disturbing. took another route reducing contents / clustering of colors, made it square concentrating on the coop and forum letterings + having all the silver poles asf as prominent feature

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:

Orio: Why not. Interesting idea. This is the purpose of the tread, to find different images within the image Smile
I would probably have cropped less tight on the left side for a less compressed look. on the building and rotating sign.

My idea was to work on the pattern of 3 :

to give the image a "rhythm" that would depure it from the confusion of the many chaotic elements.
For that I needed a tight crop, because the larger I would go, the more confusing elements I would add, and the weaker the geometric composition would be
(also I needed the two big poles to be roughly at the thirds in the composition).
If I could edit out parts (which was not allowed) I would have erased the small elements on top left, to leave there only sky

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

If I could edit out parts (which was not allowed) I would have erased the small elements on top left, to leave there only sky

quick fast example of what could be with a little erasing:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you wanna get rid of all the clutter, eh? Well, here's your answer:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Orio wrote:

quick fast example of what could be with a little erasing:

Very nice. With your phenomenal explanation in the earlier post I now understand your though and it is this kind of thinking I'd like to learn more of. Hopefully I can start improving the composition and plan the shots better before taking them Very Happy

Thank you all again for all contributions.

BR
/T

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:

Very nice. With your phenomenal explanation in the earlier post I now understand your though and it is this kind of thinking I'd like to learn more of. Hopefully I can start improving the composition and plan the shots better before taking them Very Happy
Thank you all again for all contributions.
BR
/T

There is an Italian photographer who is famous for this type of geometrical compositions, Franco Fontana:

In the long run, I find this type of images sterile (I can stand a few of them, not a whole book). However, with some contemporary urban landscapes, it can be the only way to give the photos some aesthetical interest, as today's architecture per se can feel really cold.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio. Must check up on that guy.