Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40...Different Colour Coatings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Helios-40...Different Colour Coatings Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a Helios-40 85 1.5. I've noticed that some of the silver bodied ones have different colour coatings.

What are the build quality like with the silver body Helios and would a lower Ser# be any different that a higher Ser#?

Here's an example.

Low Ser# with blue coating also with a extra red mark on the ring.

High Ser# with redish coating

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That top one really has a nice blue sapphire colour, but I'd go for the bottom one because it doesn't have the yellowed glass, so the colour balance will be better and transmission will be higher. You may be able to correct the yellow glass by adjusting the white balance, but you will not get the light that was absorbed in the glass.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
That top one really has a nice blue sapphire colour, but I'd go for the bottom one because it doesn't have the yellowed glass, so the colour balance will be better and transmission will be higher. You may be able to correct the yellow glass by adjusting the white balance, but you will not get the light that was absorbed in the glass.

I don't think that you lose so much light due that yelowing. Guess there are minimal absorption. You would have some problems with WB, indeed. But it is not such challege if you don't want to shoot slides or be fast with digital. Measured it is ~1500K warmer than normal.
In fact is that red pi mark means better coating something like V on Meyer or T mark on Zeiss lenses for instance. It is true that coatings are not in high standart qualities but many older lenses show some flares of reduced contrast when you shoot backlighted objects or when you are shooting to spot light. Also this lens.
Built quality is probly the same but serials with starting 00 are special pieces as I read. The best ones or ... maybe somebody from forum would have better quotation =/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@spleenone

I don't have personal experience with these lenses but I've heard about the Super Tak 50/1.4 and others as well that the light loss can be significant, so you can't rule it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One stop is easily lost. Without a reference you might not even notice a one stop yellowing unless you compare lenses (or use a hand-held meter). I had a Takumar that gained almost two stops on UV bleaching, and I did not even notice it had yellowed until I directly compared it to a clear lens.

Last edited by Sevo on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Canada and have a Helios 40 available if you are interested?

its already converted to m42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Red П version is a top quality; I've read that the low serial numbers were reserved for lenses that came out best during quality control. However, the color of the coating on the second lens is the same as that of multi-coated Helios 40-2 lenses, so I wonder if it is one of the early MC versions - a transition model or something. Then it may have better flare prevention, but lower contrast. Anyhow, the difference in quality tolerances even between different Helios lenses of the same vintage can be bigger than the difference between coatings. In this case I would probably go for the Red П (first) lens because of more guaranteed optical performance and cured yellowing with UV light.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no MC versions made of Helios-40 (2). There were, however, several coating types used throughout the life of the lens. The blue coatings produced the warmest image. Purple/magenta coatings were used later; those produced more neutral results with sometimes warm/green color shift. The final version used amber coatings that produced the most neutral, slightly cool result.

Interestingly, Jupiter-9 used blue, magenta, colorless (? I don't know how that is, but reflections of late non-MC versions appear to be of no particular color), and MC coatings throughout its life. All produced different color shifts.

BTW, some manufacturers (e.g. Fuji, Nippon Kogaku) coated different lens elements differently. For example, Nikkor-P 105/2.5 (Sonnar type) has amber coatings on front and middle lens elements and purple/blue coatings on the rear glass to compensate for the differences in color transmission.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Helios-40...Different Colour Coatings Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
I'm looking at getting a Helios-40 85 1.5. I've noticed that some of the silver bodied ones have different colour coatings.

I apologize for the late reply, may be still useful.

The first two digits in the majority of Soviet lenses - the year of manufacture of the lens:
00 - mean pre-production (in this case it`s a 1957);
65 - mean 1965
"П" (Pi) - in the first ten years of manufacturing coated optics for the Soviet Union meant - "coated" or "Просветленная", then all the optics in the USSR was made coated - the need for additional marking gone.

This "П" is not modern "L" Smile and does not imply a difference in quality.

The coating color is different in mind to make progress in the Soviet chemical industry, violet coating gave a yellow tint in the photos, and eventually was replaced by another.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios-40...Different Colour Coatings Reply with quote

fotkino wrote:
TBaker wrote:

I apologize for the late reply, may be still useful.

The first two digits in the majority of Soviet lenses - the year of manufacture of the lens:
00 - mean pre-production (in this case it`s a 1957);
65 - mean 1965
"П" (Pi) - in the first ten years of manufacturing coated optics for the Soviet Union meant - "coated" or "Просветленная", then all the optics in the USSR was made coated - the need for additional marking gone.

This "П" is not modern "L" Smile and does not imply a difference in quality.

The coating color is different in mind to make progress in the Soviet chemical industry, violet coating gave a yellow tint in the photos, and eventually was replaced by another.

Excellent Info, cheers.

I have a Helios-44-2 from 75 that has the same coloured coating as the 67 Helios-40 pictured.

This is how it handles flare when the sun is behind the subject: