Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Better bokeh 50mm 55mm or 58mm 1.4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Better bokeh 50mm 55mm or 58mm 1.4? Reply with quote

This a general question and I ask to owners of many lenses:-)
At 1.4 aperture, which one lens could have short deep of field and best bokeh? In your opinion wich lens not expensive do you suggest?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortest DoF will have 58mm lens

best bokeh depends more on construction and type of lens than on the focal length

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"best" bokeh is not matter of focal length, but of specific lens, since it is a quality (often unspeakable). With equal aperture, DoF is shallower for longer lenses (play here to have an idea: http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html ).

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to suggest anything because there are so many 50-58mm lenses and you don't say which camera you have. 58mm lenses will almost invariably have stronger background blur.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you are definetly asking this the wrong way since well there is no right way anyway.

The only thing we can tell you is that the more the blades of the diaphragm the better chances you have at getting smooth bokeh, that is also why the Pentacon 135 and 200 mm are called bokeh monsters since they have like 15 blades to keep the aperture as round as possible at all f-stops.

And yeah for general purpose photography a smooth bokeh will be lesss distracting. For artistic purposes you may desire an distracting bokeh though.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, bokeh is just too subjective to declare any lens "best".

Take a couple of (highly enjoyable) hours and study the "best of" subforum, you'll see lots of examples from different lenses.

I will recommend the Helios 58/2, they're dirt cheap and will provide lots of fun while you hunt for bargains among the more expensive options.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Pentacon 135 2.8...but it has 6 blades..is there another version with 15 blades?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the on ebay...is there a comparison between 135mm 2.8 15 blades and 200mm f4 15 blades?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Honestly, bokeh is just too subjective to declare any lens "best".

Take a couple of (highly enjoyable) hours and study the "best of" subforum, you'll see lots of examples from different lenses.

+1 ... Bokeh is a matter of taste, IMHO, and image composition ... Besides the optical scheme of the lens and the number of diaphragm blades, the background too influences the bokeh of a picture ...

Personally, i like the SMC Pentax 50/1.4 rendering, but other people will reply that the Tomioka 55/1.4 is better, while other will reply that the Planar 50/1.4 is the only one that can render a nice bokeh ...
Moreover, a creamy bokeh may be good for portraits, still life, macro and the like, but there are other kind of pictures where an harsh bokeh may be more useful to "read" a picture ...

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
I will recommend the Helios 58/2, they're dirt cheap and will provide lots of fun while you hunt for bargains among the more expensive options.

+1 ... Be sure, nevertheless, to get a good sample (i had four of five of them before getting one really good) ... I would recommend the 44M and the 44M-2 (i think there are seven different models) ...

Hope this helps ...