Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where all those lens names comes from?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Where all those lens names comes from? Reply with quote

Hi all,
i was wondering about all those nice name given to lenses, like: rokkor, tessar, sonnar...

Where it comes from?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor was the brand name Chiyoda Kōgaku Seikō and subsequently Minolta used for its camera lenses. The name Rokkor is derived from Mount Rokkō (六甲), a mountain near Osaka that could be seen from Chiyoda's Mukogawa factory . it was probably also inspired by the name Nikkor used by Nippon Kōgaku from 1932. It appeared for the first time in 1940 on the 20cm f/4.5 lens of the SK-100 handheld aerial photography camera

The word Tessar is an acronym derived from the Greek word tessares meaning four. It expresses that this lens is comprised of four lens elements.

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/CLN_39_en_Tessar/$File/CLN39_en_tessar.pdf

The Sonnar is a photographic lens originally designed by Dr. Ludwig Bertele in 1924[1] and patented by Zeiss Ikon. It was notable for its relatively light weight, simple design and fast aperture. The name "Sonnar" is derived from the German word "Sonne", meaning sun. It was given this name because its large aperture (f/2.0) was much greater than many other lenses available at the time

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.. thanks
All those names have similar ends.

Is there any DB of all those cool names, please?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.g wrote:

not that i'm aware of, maybe try http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Camerapedia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.g wrote:

HA! That would be quite an undertaking! ZILLIONS of lens names exist, such as:

Apotar, Novar, Radionar, Lausar, Ensar, Solinar, Solagon, Telinear, Agnar, Skopar, Symnar, Claron, Arton, Biogon, Dagor, Artar, Raptar, Rodinar, BBAR, Takumar, Weltar, Nikkor, Westron, Sandmar, Primagon, Helioplan, Kilar, Xenar, Betavaron, Yashinon, Oreston, Dakon, Domiplan, Primotar, Cintar, Rikenon, Trioplan, Cintagon, Westar, Westagon, Ennalyt, Telemegor, Varioprox, Synchronex, Flimovara, Cinelux, Varimirax, Varob, Elmar, Elmarit, Komuranon, Omegaron, Componar, Colorstigmat, Noflexar, Culminar, Heliogon, Trioplan, Navitar, Prakticar, Sunray, Ektar, Ektanar, Biotar, Pancolor, Lithagon, Hektor, Fujinon, Varex, Amber, Trigor, Reomar, Anaston, et al.

Those are in no order (I pulled them from scratched notes and my lens DB) and are only a tiny fraction of given lens names. Yes, see Wikipedia and Camerapedia for more. But I doubt that an exhaustive list exists, especially with the etymology of the names. Hmmm, compiling such a list would be an interesting project. For someone else. Go right ahead. I had enough trouble compiling a canonical list of the name of varieties of supernatural beings. THAT was a devil of a job!

Last edited by RioRico on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar is the name that Asahi Optical gave to its lenses, notably but not exclusively those for its own SLR cameras. Named after the Japanese craftsman Takuma Kajiwara (梶原啄磨 Kajiwara Takuma?),[1] the name adorned its lenses until 1975, when Asahi switched from the M42 screw mount to the bayonet K-mount. K-mount lenses were simply named "SMC Pentax".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for the Serenar 70-200/2.8 L Smile

Explanation:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/s/data/19-35/s_sere_28_35.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and all those has (most) ...ar ending word. Smile Why?

I was talking with Zeiss guys and they will release Planar article as a next chapter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and, we have Gauss type.. and what are the rest? The same amount of lens formulas?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.g wrote:

I was talking with Zeiss guys and they will release Planar article as a next chapter.

I'm not sure if the -ar ending means anything. I guess not. But the -gon ending comes from the Greek "gonia", which means angle. It's mostly used for wideangle lenses for that reason (Flektogon, Biogon, etc.).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.g wrote:

That's a phonetic trick to make it sound special, connected to technology and science.

The "-gon" suffix derives from Greek γωνία [gÅnía] = "angle".

"Bio-" (as in "Biotar") derives from the word for "life" and refers to "light" (as in a "fast lens") here. The same is true for "Sonn-ar" which comes from Germen "Sonne" (= "sun").

"Flek-" mean "to bend", so a "Flektogon" is a lens that bends angles. Wink

"Plan-" (as in "Planar") refers to the plane level of the image circle.

"Tess-" derives from Greek τέσσαρες (="four").

Some lens names, such as the "Dagor", were derived from real names, here: "Doppelanastigmat Goerz" and the phonetic addition "-r" again.

So, most lens names can be traced back to some meaning. I am sure that some of the Japanese names can as well, but since I do not know any Japanese word other than "bokeh" Laughing I cannot help here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fascinating thread...thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leitz Hektor: the lens designer Max Berek named the lens after his dog, Hektor. Supposedly the Elmax was named after Max Berek, while the Summarex was named after Mr. Berek's other dog, Rex. This is all from memory though Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Russian names:

http://forum.mflenses.com/what-is-tair-t9999.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Takumar is the name that Asahi Optical gave to its lenses, notably but not exclusively those for its own SLR cameras. Named after the Japanese craftsman Takuma Kajiwara (梶原啄磨 Kajiwara Takuma?),[1] the name adorned its lenses until 1975, when Asahi switched from the M42 screw mount to the bayonet K-mount. K-mount lenses were simply named "SMC Pentax".

just seen a commercial for Mazda car that uses term Takumi for makers of samurai swords...maybe Takumar is derivated from that term Very Happy as Takumar lens sharp as samurai sword

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love you guys
Attila, please do we have wiki engine here? Mediawiki has addon to integrate phpbb users to be auth vice-versa. Let me start lens names wiki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the book "A History of the Photographic Lens" by Rudolf Kingslake,
there are all the names of classical and some modern lenses. At the end of
his book, there are brief description and photo of the famous people in
the history of lens making, it is quite interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very interesting book, thanks for the mention.

Personally I think the -ar suffix comes from "ARE you going to buy them all?!" And ARmageddon all of them! And if Spouse Finds Out, ARmagedding out of the house... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Personally I think the -ar suffix comes from "ARE you going to buy them all?!" And ARmageddon all of them! And if Spouse Finds Out, ARmagedding out of the house... Laughing

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the 'classical' lens-type names; and there are the well-known branded names; but there are also kinky proprietary names that any dinky glass-caster could (and did) bestow upon their paltry products. Thus do we see Reomar and Optimar and Cleotar and Luxogon. As for the 'ar' suffix, I blame Zeiss. They had a success with the Tessar, and others copied.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
mo wrote:

+1

+2. Great stuff. Back in history lane.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
+2. Great stuff. Back in history lane.

Well, we need some more contributions then! More names, more names! I tossed in a few dozen. Everybody, do your part! Vitalize the history! Find lists of obscure lens names and post them here!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about
Sonnar
http://reference.findtarget.com/search/Zeiss%20Sonnar/

Tessar
http://reference.findtarget.com/search/tessar/

Plannar
http://reference.findtarget.com/search/Zeiss%20Planar/

and very nice articel with a lot of constriction schemas
http://reference.findtarget.com/search/Camera%20lens/

and some list of P6 lenses
http://reference.findtarget.com/search/Pentacon%20Six%20mount/