Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

YASHINON DS-M 1:1.4 50mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: YASHINON DS-M 1:1.4 50mm? Reply with quote

hi all!

I'm wondering your opinion about YASHINON DS-M 1:1.4 50mm about its sharpness, colors, cromatic aberrations,...

Regards,
Toletum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome! Sorry I missed your question earlier.

I own the DSM 50/1.4, and I think it's an excellent lens. It belongs to the last series of M42 Yashinons, so it has the benefit of very effective multicoating.

I've found its color rendition to be first-class - about on par (as far as I can see) with that of the later, C/Y-mount Yashica ML series. In terms of sharpness, it's good (not superb) wide-open; stopped down a bit, it's very sharp indeed. With respect to chromatic aberration, I don't feel that I've given it a thorough enough trial to speak confidently on that subject. About all I can say is that I haven't found CA to be an issue so far. Bokeh is excellent - to my eye, anyway.

One or two other points:

1. The DSM lenses, according to most sources, don't have auto/manual switches; my copy of this lens certainly doesn't have one. And my flanged M42 adapter doesn't push the aperture pin far enough to provide the full range of f-stops (something about the way the lens's aperture mechanism is designed). I had to disable the auto-aperture pin, and that was an extremely frustrating procedure in this case. It may be that other flanged adapters would work perfectly, but I have my doubts. Some members report that there are examples of DSM lenses that do have auto/manual switches, so that might be something worth looking for. If there is an auto/manual switch, it will be a very slim switch just below the aperture ring - very easy to miss, unless you're looking for it.

2. The overall build quality of the DSM lenses is a step down from the earlier Yashinon-DX (single-coated) series. The DSMs aren't as smooth, and they don't feel as though they're built to equally precise tolerances. They're not bad, by any means; just not in the top rank. But it might be fair to say that what you lose in mechanical robustness, you make up in optical performance - if only by virtue of the multicoating. Note, also, that it's very common for the rubber focus ring of the DSM series lenses to become loose, or to detach itself and disappear altogether.

3. The DSM series is the multicoated version of the DS series, which followed the DX series. The DS lenses seem to be the same mechanically as the DSMs, but they're single-coated. So if you have a choice between a DS and a DSM, I think the DSM is the better option.

Generally speaking, I've had excellent results with Yashica lenses, from all eras and series. Note that sometimes it's possible to find a 50/1.4 DSM attached to a camera for a lower price than the lens alone commands.

I hope there's something helpful there!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks a lot Very Happy

Regards,
Toletum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
In the search box :

http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-auto-yashinon-ds-50mm-f-1-4-t27750,highlight,%2Byashica+%2B50mm+%2B1+%2B4.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-dx-50mm-f1-4-christening-pics-t21387,highlight,%2Byashica+%2B50mm+%2B1+%2B4.html

cheers