Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Auto Yashinon DS 50mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Yashica Auto Yashinon DS 50mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience of this lens ? I'v carried out a search and found references to Yashinon lenses with various combinations of aperture (1.4, 1.7, 1.9) and quality (DX, DS & DS-M) but I can't find this one.

The lens is Auto only so I will have to modify my adapter to try it. Is it worth it ?

There is one on the bay ...

Click here to see on Ebay

but I guess that the price is a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey john
sorry i dont have experience w this particular lens, but i do with the yashica ml 50/1.4, which many, and i, consider a great lens and can be found on ebay for much less than the yashinon. perhaps im wrong, but i cant imagine the yashinon would be better as the ml is considered the poor man's planar!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here are two discussions that might be helpful:

Link 1

Link 2

Limiting the conversation (because I don't have any experience with the C/Y lenses) to M42 versions: the most commonly encountered series are DX, DS and DS-M.

The DX lenses are single-coated, rather distinctively styled and very nicely made. I've been pleased with the results from my DX 50/1.4, 50/1.7 and 200/4. DX lenses have an A/M switch.

The DS lenses are also single-coated, of later production, and, generally speaking, seem to feel a bit lighter, less robust and less well-finished than the DX lenses. I've used a couple of DS lenses, and the images have been perfectly nice, but the lenses don't handle as well as the DX's. The only DS I own is a 20/3.3, which is a fairly seldom encountered lens (and not really a stellar lens, so I wouldn't want to generalize on the basis of its performance). Note that the DS lenses are often described as lacking an A/M switch, but my 20mm has one.

The DS-M lenses were (I believe) the last M42 Yashinons, and are multi-coated. In terms of finish and handling, they're on the same level as the DS's; but they produce lovely images. These, too, are said to lack the A/M switch, but there are reports of DS-M lenses that have them.

Note that the 50/1.4 DX is known to have mirror-clearance issues, not only with digital bodies but with film bodies as well.

Hope there's something useful there!

Cheers,

Jon

Last edited by Univer on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your replies.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some samples : Yashica Yashinon-DS 50mm f1.4
wo, contrast adjusted on some of them - E510

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the samples.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the asking price is way too high considering I picked up a DX 50 f1.4 for $35 on Ebay late last year.
I quite like my DX but have the mirror clearance issue at towards infinity focus on my Pentax K20D. I can't comment on the DS not having used one.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
I think the asking price is way too high....

yes, definitly!!!
I would think you should be able to get this lens for about 40 Euro

( well, it has been over a year, I had paid, on ebay, for the package of a Yashica TL-Super with 3 Yashinon DX, a 2.8/35, f1.7/50 and 2.8/135, all in a state like new, about 30 Euro )

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
The DS-M lenses were (I believe) the last M42 Yashinons, and are multi-coated. In terms of finish and handling, they're on the same level as the DS's; but they produce lovely images. These, too, are said to lack the A/M switch, but there are reports of DS-M lenses that have them.

Cheers,

Jon

Most of the DS-M lenses do have an A/M Switch... !!
On my 7 lenses of the Yashica DS-M Series, there was only one if i remember right, the 1.7/50mm, which has no A/M Switch..

They do have an very small ring A/M switch, often not seen by the user.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A radioactive lens by the way ;
Probably mirror clearance issue with the 5D. (to check)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Univer wrote:

Cheers,

Jon

Most of the DS-M lenses do have an A/M Switch... !!
On my 7 lenses of the Yashica DS-M Series, there was only one if i remember right, the 1.7/50mm, which has no A/M Switch..

They do have an very small ring A/M switch, often not seen by the user.

Cheers
Henry

Very interesting - thank you for the information. I currently own only one DS-M, a 50/1.4, and it definitely does not have an A/M switch. I've used two or three other DS-Ms of other focal lengths, and I don't recall A/M switches on those lenses either. But I don't have those lenses at hand, and I could well be misremembering.

On the other hand, my DS 20/3.3 - and the consensus seems to be that the DS's lack the A/M switch - does have the thin A/M ring switch you describe.

Seems like there were more than a few running changes during the production life of these Yashinons!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh finally found some talk about this lens. So can anyone confirm that the DX will hit my 5DMK2 mirror at infinity?

Thanks,
Roy