Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

55mm f/1.8 S-M-C Takumar on 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: 55mm f/1.8 S-M-C Takumar on 5D Reply with quote

Today it was dreary cold, and I had no real inspiration, but I'm posting the pictures anyway Smile

Why the 55mm f/1.8? Because it is a superb lens, cheap, and can be used on the 5D from ininity to the MFD without any modification to either the lens or the camera.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning presentation ! All are just simple very, very good images.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive! and without inspiration !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Tak guided me, I did nothing Smile

Thanks guys. I think they are looking better now. Maybe I just did not like them too much because I knew how cold it was in reality.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking Smile Possibly the best value fast+normal lens out there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Absolutely. Everyone is concentrating on the 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar but in reality the 55/1.8 is probably the better lens of the two. I cannot think of valid reasons to NOT get one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Absolutely. Everyone is concentrating on the 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar but in reality the 55/1.8 is probably the better lens of the two. I cannot think of valid reasons to NOT get one.

I actually sold mine and kept the 55/2, because...in low light the camera metered them the same wide open Confused Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: 55 f1.8 and 55 f2 Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Everyone is concentrating on the 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar but in reality the 55/1.8 is probably the better lens of the two. I cannot think of valid reasons to NOT get one.

Everyone should remember that the Takumar 55 f1.8 and 55 f2 as well as the first bayonet K versions are the same lens and that the f2 was in no way inferior samples or a different lens but simply produced as an f2 for marketing purposes.

However with the later M and A series Pentax had 50 f1.7s and 50 f2s. The f1.7 had the same lens scheme as the 55 f1.8 and f2s but the 50 f2 was a different lens scheme and produces generally inferior results especially at the wider apertures in comparison to all the others mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 55mm f/1.8 S-M-C Takumar on 5D Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Why the 55mm f/1.8? Because it is a superb lens, cheap, and can be used on the 5D from ininity to the MFD without any modification to either the lens or the camera.

So can the 50mm F1.4. It's now my favourite 50mm on the 5D mkii as my previous favourite the Helios 44-2 hits the mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 55 f1.8 and 55 f2 Reply with quote

jmiro wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
Everyone is concentrating on the 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar but in reality the 55/1.8 is probably the better lens of the two. I cannot think of valid reasons to NOT get one.

Everyone should remember that the Takumar 55 f1.8 and 55 f2 as well as the first bayonet K versions are the same lens and that the f2 was in no way inferior samples or a different lens but simply produced as an f2 for marketing purposes.

Indeed; an internal "waterhouse stop" was added to reach the f/2. Pretty interesting, as the f/2 version was thus more expensive to make (more parts than the f/1.8 version).

Quote:

However with the later M and A series Pentax had 50 f1.7s and 50 f2s. The f1.7 had the same lens scheme as the 55 f1.8 and f2s but the 50 f2 was a different lens scheme and produces generally inferior results especially at the wider apertures in comparison to all the others mentioned.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 55mm f/1.8 S-M-C Takumar on 5D Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

So can the 50mm F1.4. It's now my favourite 50mm on the 5D mkii as my previous favourite the Helios 44-2 hits the mirror.

I think the MkII has a slightly shorter mirror, so you're less likely to have problems? I have sold my 50/1.4 so I cannot test it anymore on the MkI. I do still have the SMC Pentax 50/1.4 though (optically the same).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure a great lens, unbelievable sharp and with nice rendering!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the SMC 55 f/1.8 and the SMC 55 f/2 are as good as the SMC 50 f/1.4 or better. I almost bought a 55 f/1.8 but didn't think it would be as good as the 50 f/1.4 I already had. If you were going out to shoot and had the f/1.8 version setting beside the f/2 version which would you take? I think I need one of these.

The samples you posted look very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
So the SMC 55 f/1.8 and the SMC 55 f/2 are as good as the SMC 50 f/1.4 or better. I almost bought a 55 f/1.8 but didn't think it would be as good as the 50 f/1.4 I already had. If you were going out to shoot and had the f/1.8 version setting beside the f/2 version which would you take? I think I need one of these.

Well, the f/2 and f/1.8 version are exactly the same, but the f/2 version has an added light baffle to cut off the f/1.8 optics to f/2. So... That was Pentax's way to create a "cheaper" kit lens. Only with the SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2 the design was different from the f/1.7 version. So, you cannot go wrong with either the f/2 or f/1.8 versions of the Takumar.

Quote:
The samples you posted look very nice.

Thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

SMC PENTAX 55/2 was never sold in Japan, it was an export only model.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the 2/55 version will be probably slightly sharper wide-open than the 1.8/55 version Wink