Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 30/3.5, Derelict Castle - C&C Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 30/3.5, Derelict Castle - C&C Welcome Reply with quote

This was a visit to a Derelict castle that is about to be rebuilt to a 5* standard hotel. I used the Pentacon 30/3.5 and .45x WA converter throughout. Comments and Critique welcomed, This is almost something I've forgot how to do, given almost all of my shots are underground recently.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good subjects for a strong b&w conversion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 30/3.5, Derelict Castle - C&C Welcome Reply with quote

NewStuff wrote:
This was a visit to a Derelict castle that is about to be rebuilt to a 5* standard hotel.

This is a sad news. I hope that your government has some office that watches over preservation of antiquities and will control that the restoration is done scientifically and without denaturating too much the original structure.

About your photos, they are all nice and well composed. The only critic for me is that they look a bit harsh, perhaps a bit too much sharpening?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The castle is actually a Folly, and the body that oversees it is CADW. They will not likely interfere too much, as many attempts have been made to fund attempts at restoration, and this commercial venture is the only one that will work. It will be fairly sympathetic, but very modern inside, retaining as much as is practical. The choice was this, or it would likely be left to rot, as the bill will likely be multiple tens of millions of pounds.

Atilla - I'll certainly have a play with B&W.

Orio - Indeed it is, I have a nasty habit of doing that. I will reduce the processing I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewStuff wrote:
The castle is actually a Folly, and the body that oversees it is CADW. They will not likely interfere too much, as many attempts have been made to fund attempts at restoration, and this commercial venture is the only one that will work. It will be fairly sympathetic, but very modern inside, retaining as much as is practical. The choice was this, or it would likely be left to rot, as the bill will likely be multiple tens of millions of pounds.

Yes, I understand.
Sadly in our times money rules everything and is more important than the arts.
What is saddening is that such a beautiful castle could not find state financements for preservation.
I hope that the hotel owners will only restore and not build - example, in your last photo, an empty inside structure is shown. To rebuild rooms in it would be quite fairly destructive of the original structure. Such parts should be preserved as they are, and obviously maintained so that they don't decay furtherly. And the necessary hotel rooms should be either created where an inner structure is still existing, or possibly somewhere near but outside of the original building.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, that won't be happening. Given all that has happened in this places history, it's a wonder it's still standing. What are known as "Travellers" moved in (illegally), and ripped everything out of the building, set it on fire and smashed many things for no reason. The local authority should have stepped in at that point, and most of it would have been salvageable. Sadly, it was left to rot for another 15 years. As a result, it's future is only assured by it's promise as a commercial venture.

The entire place is a shell, there are no floors, and the walls were falling until the company bought it, and had stabilisation work done to prevent further decay. The architect and manager who was with us today is trying to walk a fine line between original restoration, and making this a paying venture. Short of him having £50 Million as a budget, the best that can happen to it is what will happen to it. He would love to restore it faithfully (He loves the building), but knows it's not practical or financially viable, so must do the best he can with what he has. I have an invite back to take some "during" and "after" shots, so will share with you when I get them, the projected finish date is 2014/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck then.
And please take your assignment very seriously as you have the responsibility of being the documenter for future generations of an historical monument in it's original state that will be gone forever - consider that probably experts in some centuries from now will have to rely on your photographs as an invaluable source for historical researches and studies on that castle.

I still wonder however: hasn't the central State anything to say about that operation?
Or you can decide such things only locally?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can show as many shots of castles as you like, as I love em and Wales has some excellent castles...the folly I remember seeing regularly from the main road was castle Coch:-

http://www.castlewales.com/coch.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - These decisions rarely go higher than CADW, which is the body in Wales responsible for ensuring the work is done in a certain manner. It's not really very old, and has been added to many times over the years. In this state you can see the construction of it... lot's of concrete. Although it has the facade of a Castle, it's certainly not built like it in most parts. What parts are built in the same manner as a traditional castle will be retained and restored, such as the main spine walls, and Marble covered staircase.

Excalibur - This is Gwyrch Castle, near Abergele in N.Wales.
http://www.gwrychtrust.co.uk/index.html