Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oh NO! Ive tried Zeiss glass :(
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Oh NO! Ive tried Zeiss glass :( Reply with quote

If this is what cheap pancolar can do, Ill be selling all my glass for Zeiss Sad.

After using it only for one day, I like it more than takumar SMC 50 1.4 heh...

Wide open, available light.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots! I must say though that with the Pancolar you have not seen the "real" Zeiss. Wink Things like the T* coating still make a big difference. Just wait till you try something like the Contax Distagon 28/2.8. My Pancolar looks bland in comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is hope... I just sold my 35/2.4 Flektogon. Lovely lens, I simply didn't use it enough to warrant keeping it... I wonder if anyone on here won it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Nice shots! I must say though that with the Pancolar you have not seen the "real" Zeiss. Wink Things like the T* coating still make a big difference. Just wait till you try something like the Contax Distagon 28/2.8. My Pancolar looks bland in comparison.

Thats exactly what im afraid of Sad. Pancolar is one of cheapest Zeiss glass out there, I can only imagine what true zeiss gems are capapble of. Ive been looking at photos of the Makro-Planar T* 50mm f/2 ZF, and it makes me want to cry... literally Sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great captures espacially the second with this soft Pancolar effect ( wide open ? )

as for Zeiss lenses, well they're worth their money, and by far. Might they be Contax mount which i like or the latest for Nikon or Canon mounts

you try, you keep !

and want more Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you try, you keep !

and want more.

Amen to that! Smile

[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful baby!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent samples Smile Once you've had Zeiss, there's no need to look twice Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What a beautiful baby!!

My friends daughter, very beautiful baby I agree Smile

Few More:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last shot is spot on... Well captured.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet smiling baby Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely colors and framing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pictures of a beautiful baby.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great images!

BTW, I am very interested in your assessment of this lens. Could you share what attributes you liked with this lens in comparison to the Tak 50/1.4?

Also, what version of the PANCOLAR was this taken with?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
Wow great images!

BTW, I am very interested in your assessment of this lens. Could you share what attributes you liked with this lens in comparison to the Tak 50/1.4?

Also, what version of the PANCOLAR was this taken with?

It is a Black PANCOLAR electric 1.8/50 MC (White letters).

To answer your question. I just like how the zeiss renders a lot more, while the bokeh on pancolar is bit more 'funky' as opposed to creamy bokeh from Takumar, the zeiss bokeh looks bit more...ummm unique if i might say ? Smile

Also, the colors are totally different (might be due to the fact that Takumars get yellowish over time and my certainly does look a bit yellow) but i like the zeiss colors more as it is. Strangely enough, while the takumar has a great smooth focus action I foucus easier with the zeiss.

I took 2 quick shots outside handheld @f2, the composition and focus point is not the same but I think youll get the idea Wink

Oh, and Pancolar focuses down to 0.35m which is great!

Hmmm, I just checked some other shots I did, and the color doesnt seem nearly as different as on the 2 examples I posted.

I wonder what might have happened there...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should compare colour cast only when shooting film. With digital cameras, colour cast is a non-issue.
The one thing that is evident from your sample is that the Pancolar has more of both macro-contrast and micro-contrast than the Takumar. If you look at the tulip leaves, they look flat in the Takumar image, while they look dimensional in the Pancolar image.
The more contrast is easy to detect by looking at the shadows between the leaves and at the highlights on the edge of the leaves.
The micro-contrast is detectable on the leaves surface, in the Pancolar image it's easier to detect the surface texture, in the Takumar image it's more difficult.
_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I definitely see what you mean. And when i said how I liked zeiss rendering more i guess I was talking about micro contrast without knowing it Smile

Im not a very experienced photographer, but Im learning a great deal on this forum.

P.S. I liked the zeiss more even without comparing it to the takumar Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
To answer your question. I just like how the zeiss renders a lot more, while the bokeh on pancolar is bit more 'funky' as opposed to creamy bokeh from Takumar, the zeiss bokeh looks bit more...ummm unique if i might say ? Smile

Also, the colors are totally different (might be due to the fact that Takumars get yellowish over time and my certainly does look a bit yellow) but i like the zeiss colors more as it is. Strangely enough, while the takumar has a great smooth focus action I foucus easier with the zeiss.

I took 2 quick shots outside handheld @f2, the composition and focus point is not the same but I think youll get the idea Wink

Oh, and Pancolar focuses down to 0.35m which is great!

Yes, I agree these look dramatically different, though I think the focus may make things a little harder to evaluate on equal ground. Given the lens, I wonder if the SMC 55/1.8 wouldn't be a better match?

I also, wondered how the Tak would perform if didn't have yellowing too. So many possibilities.

Still, I like the idea of a Pancolar collection. They certainly do look nice. The skin tones in your first images look fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had issues with yellow cast with my takumar up until this point. My understanding is that their glass is supposed to be bit yellow from the coatings. I definitely didnt see it up untill this photo, and I shoot people (that didnt came out right) mostly so If it was the case it would have been obvious.

Also, I shot a lot with canon 50 1.8 and it is a very fine lens, but I think its no match to pancolar wide open, especially if you have back lighting. Canon just sucks there, big time! Night shots wide open at high iso with canon were also always unusable to me, I took few shots with pancolar the other night at iso 1600 and they look a lot better!

This all, of course, is subjective. Takumar is a very fine lens, but I just like this one more. Too bad it goes to 1.8 only...

If youre interested i can take some shots with tripod some other time, and you can compare those.

I shot this one when I was making this little test. Wide open, no PP.
Get it, you wont be disappointed! Im actually more happy with it than I thought i would be Smile. On the contrary, I wasnt that happy when I got my tak Wink

One more thing, I dont find tha pancolar soft at all. It may not be the sharpest lens ever but imho its pretty sharp wide open. My canon 85 1.8 is wicked sharp stopped down a bit, but pancolar doesnt trail much, at least the one I got Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
This all, of course, is subjective. Takumar is a very fine lens, but I just like this one more. Too bad it goes to 1.8 only...

If youre interested i can take some shots with tripod some other time, and you can compare those.

I shot this one when I was making this little test. Wide open, no PP.
Get it, you wont be disappointed! Im actually more happy with it than I thought i would be Smile. On the contrary, I wasnt that happy when I got my tak Wink

I also saw a 1.4 version, but I honestly don't know anything about the various models and variances out there. Not to mention where I'm not sure if a .4 aperture difference would be discernible.

FRT. I don't own a Takumar/1.4 though I think I have a few wide and normals primes that may fall in t he same spec categories. However, I do own a few SMC-K and SMC-A normals, which are f/1.4 respectively. Which may prove to be interesting to compare against. Not to mention the excitement of starting a Zeiss collection of course. :p

And thanks again for the ongoing samples with this. They are very helpful

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Beautiful photos.

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
You should compare colour cast only when shooting film. With digital cameras, colour cast is a non-issue.
The one thing that is evident from your sample is that the Pancolar has more of both macro-contrast and micro-contrast than the Takumar. If you look at the tulip leaves, they look flat in the Takumar image, while they look dimensional in the Pancolar image.

I don't completely agree that colour cast only matters for film. It's one extra processing step which a neutral lens saves you.

The difference in contrast is not so suprising, considering the f/1.4 vs f/1.8 aperture. I found that my Super-Takumar 55/2 actually has a bit more contrast than my Pancolar when stopped down.
The framing of those two shots isn't identical btw, and it looks like the Tak shot was taken from a slightly shorter distance. The DOF is much shallower than the Pancolar shot anyway.

I also like the 0.35m MFD on the Pancolar and it works quite well on extension tubes as well. Smile