Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica 28/2.8 ML fungus question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Yashica 28/2.8 ML fungus question Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

So I have a friend offering me 3 yashica lenses for a pretty reasonable amount of money:

70-210 f4.5 zoom
28/2.8
50/1.9

However 28 has some fungus on front and back elements, It has just started and its barely visible, and only on the outer parts of glass (near the ring), one has to really look close to see it.
Has anyone had any experience with this lens and fungus in it. There is no one around here that cleans the lenses professionally, so what Im asking is how much would the fungus take to spread where it will affect image quality if I store the lens correctly from now on...

The 50 1.9 has a lot of dust in it, and I mean a lot.It really baffles me how is possible to get that amount of dust specks into a lens. But since I primarily shoot wide open would it affect quality much?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your friend if you can test it and you'll see what comes out. I saw perfect pictures coming from lens full of fungus and dust too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it'll be down to what you are really buying since a DSB (single coated) Yashica is not the same as an ML (multi coated) and that may do all the difference between your friends asking price being good or outrageous.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that all lenses are ML versions, and his asking price is $70 for all 3 lenses...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bothers me with the deal is that the 28mm alone is not worth that much (at least you can certainly get it for less), the 50mm is not exactly the fastest 50mm, not among Yashica's ML's or any brand (as you already know of course) and the zoom by itself I am really not sure how good is it but that also says alot (yeah I have read alot).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML 28 has good reputation, but I supposed you will be able to find one without fungus rather easily?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
ML 28 has good reputation, but I supposed you will be able to find one without fungus rather easily?

Not around here Im afraid... The guy who sells them has no knowledge about photography whatsoever, he inherited them so he's selling.

Ive got 5 50mm lenses, and Im really not interested in zooms but that 28/2.8 got my attention and I can always sell the other ones I guess...

My C/Y adapter to EOS is due to arrive so Ill give the lenses a go and see if they are worth it...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many modern Japanese lenses has glued lens blocks and impossible to clean fungus if infected inside in lens block . Where do you live ? This lens is good but not spectacular, perhaps we can suggest alternatives, depend from your location.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many modern Japanese lenses has glued lens blocks and impossible to clean fungus if infected inside in lens block . Where do you live ? This lens is good but not spectacular, perhaps we can suggest alternatives, depend from your location.

Yeah I thought so too, on my first inspection the lens seemed very hard to get into/disassemble and clean.

I live I Bosnia Herzegovina, and basically nobody in this country repairs MF lenses, or gives a damn about photography in general Sad.

I do love photography though and my love for old lenses is growing stronger and stronger, and since I cant get what I want here, Im looking for all kinds of lenses I can get my hands on. But around here only things one can get are kit lenses for praktica and zenit, so helios 44 and pentacon 50/1.8 or tessar 50/2.8 99% of the time... Every now and then a jupiter 37A emerges but those go for 40Eur and upward...

Im currently bidding for a CZJ Prakticar 28/2.4 and I think I could get it for 50Eur or so. I realize its Praktica B-mount, but even If I have to get a new adapter It could be a good deal as I read its basically a flektogon for a different mount.

I already ordered a C/Y adapter for EOS but I guess Ill pass on these yashica lenses...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in Eastern Europe just same like me, Pentacon 30mm f3.5 is a very nice lens and available some times. Flektogon 25mm f4 Exakta also close to your targeted 28mm.

Fungus usually not much in lenses and if just some spots not impact picture quality.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a SMC takumar 28 3.5 and its a really nice lens, but im really lookig for something faster. I also have pentacon 29/2.8 but I dont like it much. I will look out for the pentacon you mentioned.

P.S. Hungary is light years ahead Bosnia in everything Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friend from Bosnia who is a girl, I know your case, not easy.. If you need faster one look Kiron 28mm f2.0 or Vivitar Series 1 28mm f1.9. Mir 25 35mm f2.0 or Flektogon 35mm f2.4 perhaps also good for you and more common even in your country.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 28 2.4 selling, Its praktica B mount...Is it the same lens as flektogon just in different mount?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
I found a Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 28 2.4 selling, Its praktica B mount...Is it the same lens as flektogon just in different mount?

Praktica B mount is different (Bayonette mount), you may need an adapter
to mount on your Canon camera. You can get an adapter around US$22.

This particular Prakticar 28/2.4 is very rare lens, might be mucho expensive,
if it is cheap sell it to me. Very Happy

There is Prakticar 28/2.8 too, this lens is a quite good one. Not too many
people use it, but the lens is capable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry, It was my mistake, its a CZJ 35/2.4 Prakticar...And I think i could get it for under 50 Eur, like new condition with a carrying bag and caps.

I understand Ill need an adapter but thats not a problem to me if this lens really is a flektogon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingMan wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, It was my mistake, its a CZJ 35/2.4 Prakticar...And I think i could get it for under 50 Eur, like new condition with a carrying bag and caps.

I understand Ill need an adapter but thats not a problem to me if this lens really is a flektogon.

Yep same as a Flektogon Smile I have one too. Great for close ups although you won't reach "real" infinity on a Canon camera I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You are in Eastern Europe just same like me, Pentacon 30mm f3.5 is a very nice lens and available some times. Flektogon 25mm f4 Exakta also close to your targeted 28mm.

Fungus usually not much in lenses and if just some spots not impact picture quality.

Yeah, tell me about it Sad. Problem here is that people dont appreciate photography yet they are starting to ask for huge sums of money for not so good MF lenses. So Im looking and asking around if someone has got some old cameras lying in the dust, and sometimes i get lucky Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yep same as a Flektogon I have one too. Great for close ups although you won't reach "real" infinity on a Canon camera I'm afraid.

Oh? Didnt know that, is it because of the B mount? While the close focus ability is very nice on a lens that is really sharp, I had other uses in mind for it, landscapes primarily...

Oh well, I guess Ill take it If it doesn't reach some huge sum. If not Ill look for a pancolar Smile. Is 40 Eur an okay price for a nice pancolar (black mc, not in red)?

Thanks