Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What wide angle for the NEX ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: What wide angle for the NEX ? Reply with quote

I can take a NEX 3 in 299 E 16mm included .
Is it the Sony 16mm good enough or should I search somewhere else? the 17mm gang( Tokina , Rokkor ,Canon FD ) is better even bulkier and heavier and , i am afraid ,pricier? the 15mm Heliar is a compact and very appealing solution , but 50% higher price . Help !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it!
I like the 2.8/16 a lot. It's fast, good and compact.
You can always get another lens later...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12mm Heliar with be great with the NEX:
http://www.ffordes.com/product/10072316355514

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/544-voigtlander12f56nex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12mm Heliar is the best , but expensive option. I bought 16mm NEX even if I have many excellent lens started from 17mm. Why ? Small, quality is good enough for family and average tourist shoots, great for video where is manual focus is a pain on kids, animals etc.

http://forum.mflenses.com/buda-castle-sony-16mm-af-sony-nex-3-t37122,highlight,%2Bsony+%2B16mm.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the zoom.. you will have more versatile combo.
Then after some time when you have some more money to spend you can look at the heliar Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Get the zoom.. you will have more versatile combo.

That's true, but my first concern was to have a compact camera. And with the zoom the NEX is not really compact any more, is it? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, the 16mm is not a bad lens, but I've heard from several people that they have had bad copies of this lens and had to exchange it (one did not find a copy that satisfied him at all). I believe the 18-55mm kit lens is a bit better (but far less compact of course).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16mm is quite OK actually, and for size it is very difficult to beat! I'm sure it's better than most 17mm primes out there (Tamron SP for example) as it was designed for APS-C format. And it's AF which is handy when you just want a small point and shoot with lovely IQ Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The 16mm is quite OK actually, and for size it is very difficult to beat! I'm sure it's better than most 17mm primes out there (Tamron SP for example) as it was designed for APS-C format. And it's AF which is handy when you just want a small point and shoot with lovely IQ Smile

I totally agree with this. (I got this lens yesterday.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I totally agree with this. (I got this lens yesterday.)

Today I did change my mind about Tamron SP 17mm ... I did make crappy pictures with Olympus E-1 and Panasonic G1. Today I did take out her with Sony Nex... difference is awesome! I will publish some shoots a bit later.

16mm SONY AF is very handy good lens, Tamron SP 17 I think better, more details on pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-17mm-f3-5-sony-nex-3-budapest-hungary-t38183.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results published by Attila show better quality from the Tamron 17mm than the Sony 16mm .
Yes , the 16mm is very appealing as it is beautifully compact . But the results are not great , and the variability of samples give me a lot of trouble Confused
Anyway my nex 3 if I'll get it won't be very compact , as my main lens will be Konica 24mm/2.8 (for a 36mm equivalent) Yashica 28 /2.8 or Rokkor 28/2.8 (for a 42mm equivalent) .With the adapters , these are roughly the same dimension as the 18-55 , if I don't mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find better lens than Konica Hexanon 24mm f2.8 , enjoy ! And if you need a small kit or you will shoot video much I still recommend 16mm AF.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila , I am curious what setting did you used for the Pictures with Tamron(Aperture mainly) , and what settings did the Nex used with the 16mm . Maybe the camera used some settings that disadvantages the lens (even if I doubt it)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Attila , I am curious what setting did you used for the Pictures with Tamron(Aperture mainly) , and what settings did the Nex used with the 16mm . Maybe the camera used some settings that disadvantages the lens (even if I doubt it)

Vivid color settings my default on NEX all time, I shoot usually at F8-F11.
If I put on AF lens usually I set to most convenient 'intelligent mode' and I not set anything manually on camera. Shoots taken with AF lens remind me for a quality compact camera.

Sony AF 16mm

http://forum.mflenses.com/buda-castle-sony-16mm-af-sony-nex-3-t37122.html

Quality difference is visible between two lenses.

Check exif perhaps here aperture was lot more open by camera than F8.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exifs show f8 , so , the same as the Tammy .