Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 - Sony Nex-3 - Budapest Hungary
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 - Sony Nex-3 - Budapest Hungary Reply with quote

Sony NEX-3 vivid color mode, no polar filter. F8-F11

Hi-res images are here

Last edited by Attila on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:10 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite nice images.

Does that lens have a strong barrel distortion?

Are they recent shots? If so your place is much warmer than Toronto. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Quite nice images.

Does that lens have a strong barrel distortion?

Are they recent shots? If so your place is much warmer than Toronto. Rolling Eyes

I made them today, we had 13-23C at all week.

I don't know it's distortion how strong I didn't use much this lens and have to say honestly I rare recognize it Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results , Attila ! Very useful ! Seems to me absolutely better than the !6 mm of the Sony !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Great results , Attila ! Very useful ! Seems to me absolutely better than the !6 mm of the Sony !

Better , but Sony has still have place in our bag as we did explain before, with 16mm SONY NEX is a cool compact all occasion camera. 16mm AF always with me.

Hi-res images are here

Look at bottom rows images taken with Olympus E-1, ok now I am better shooter than before, but difference is really huge!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Just brilliant!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need this lens in my life... Nice shots.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Attila,
Anybody compare it to RMC Tokina 17/3,5?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tokina-made Vivitar 17mm f/3.5. Is that close enough? Only problem is, mine is in Canon FD mount, so all I can show is slides. Just looked through them, and I have one good one shot with Velvia, so almost no grain.

This is approximately a 40% crop of the original slide, reduced in size for display here:

And here's a link to the same image but with no reduction (way too big for display here):
http://michaelmcbroom.com/images/gfc/hutchingsbldg_17b_fscrop.jpg

The full size image will give you a better idea of the lens's sharpness. As for PP, I did do a modest amount of unsharp masking and touched up a few dust motes, but that was it.

I suspect that if the Vivitar/Tokina was compared with the Tamron in a head-to-head test that the Tamron would outperform the V/T by a small, but measurable amount. But it's just a suspicion. It would be very interesting to see a test of the various 3rd party 17mm and 18mm lenses. Heck, since Attila was shooting with a NEX, may as well include a few OEMs like the Canon 17mm f/4, the Nikkor 18mm f/3.5, and Minolta 17mm f/4. 'T'would be nice, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tokina 17/3,5 in nikon mount, I sold it. I found my zenitar 16/2,8 EF mount is sharper in EOS cam. I just wonder how is Tamron performance agains tokina or zenitar. If it siginificant better, maybe I should find one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tokina RMC 17/3.5 and the Tamron 17/3.5 at the same time, the Tamron seeme behind, with less colors and flare control, sharpness was somwhat similar. Than I sold the Tokina when I got the Takumar Very Happy