Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kyushu (Nagasaki) by D700 + AF-S 35/1.4G
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Kyushu (Nagasaki) by D700 + AF-S 35/1.4G Reply with quote

We also went to Kyushu island (southern large island of japan), and visited
Nagasaki, where I went as a high school trip 50 year ago.

We stayed at Hakata (northern part of Kyushu island), also a big city .. this is a private railway station to DAZAIFU (old and yet very famous shrine)

on the street to DAZAIFU (about 20 min. train ride)

there are many souvenier and sweet cake shops

inside of the famous shrine

the shrine is very old, has chinese style garden

at any shrine we have always water to clean yourself (I mean your mind not body of course), there are many chinese tourists (only three women at the right side are japanese in this pic)

hang wood panel after writing your wish, this shrine was famous for "god of learning" so the most of wishes are to be able to enter the university you want to go, etc...

we normally pick a draw (future of your fate printed on a paper), if it is a good one you tie it to the place like this (to get a luck)

one day we went to Kagoshima by riding new shinkansen (new design inside, only four seats per row for reserved seat ticket holders)

in front of Nagasaki station, these days places all look much the same in japan, to go to Nagasaki we use "local" express train (no shinkansen)

but local bus it is a bit tricky to ride: you pick a slip at A (where you ride), then you press a button to tell you want to get off (C) at the next stop, then check to see how much at (B) which is distant dependent

went to Glover mansion, and a view of sea around the city (who is Glover, check wikipedia > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Blake_Glover

another view from the same place ... those ship building are Mitsubishi Ship Building Co.

winter camelia @f1.4 (close range)

Nagasaki was midst of a festival

Nagasaki station

Ariake sea, cultivating "nori" seaweed

Last edited by koji on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are beautiful,thank you for sharing.My son is interested in Japan,he is even trying to learn the language via the internet.... he will love these photos. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm on a tour. Most interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another beautiful series! Yes it feels like traveling. Thanks much!!
I was almost going to miss these great series (as I usually don't check much the Autofocus section).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for visiting my series in Japan guys.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji-san, thanks for sharing, visited there a few times when I was
stationed in Sasebo.

Were you making fun of me with this shot? Laughing

taken with a 'slightly' older camera, 1937

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this tour! Great shots taken with a very fine lens!!

BTW, are there still problems with radiation? Or is everything fine again? (If I may ask.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

BTW, are there still problems with radiation? Or is everything fine again? (If I may ask.)

I think I can answer this question, although I have never been to Nagasaki.
Some isotopes that are produced with nuclear explosions last for thousands of years before their power is halved. They fill the ground deeply and are nearly impossible to be completely removed. Objects like houses and stones are also filled but those are easy to remove. But it's impossible to remove deep layers of soil.
Also after the radiation goes inside the ground, it reaches the level of the water layers, and from there it can contaminate the waters for many centuries.
Finally, radioactive isotopes are continuously recycled through the cycle of the food chain.
I am sure that the Japanese government has done everything that is possible to reclaim the land, but I don't think that that land will be back to normal radiation levels before many many centuries Sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I think I can answer this question, although I have never been to Nagasaki.
Some isotopes that are produced with nuclear explosions last for thousands of years before their power is halved. They fill the ground deeply and are nearly impossible to be completely removed. Objects like houses and stones are also filled but those are easy to remove. But it's impossible to remove deep layers of soil.
Also after the radiation goes inside the ground, it reaches the level of the water layers, and from there it can contaminate the waters for many centuries.
Finally, radioactive isotopes are continuously recycled through the cycle of the food chain.
I am sure that the Japanese government has done everything that is possible to reclaim the land, but I don't think that that land will be back to normal radiation levels before many many centuries Sad

That's what I thought and why I asked. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful series Koji! Arigato domo!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abut residual radiation: I do not know much about the actual problem in
Nagasaki or Hiroshima, so no comment from me. Orio explains the general
problem of the radiation, the same thing to many places with industrial
waste which contaminate the soil. This is rather much larger problem today.

Hi Bill, I have no intention to tease you. I knew you were in Sasebo, but
that place was well known and the first time in my life to visit. I wanted to
show Bokeh from this lens AF-S 35/1.4G, despite f1.4 fast lens is bokeh is
generally speaking smooth, from f2 and up it is very good.

Doitashimasite, Klaus. Very Happy (the word means "you are welcome")

Extra service.

In Nagasaki, at spectacle bridge

We rode this train, Nagasaki is not a big city and railway is not dual line (ie. mono line) in the most of way from Hakata

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

If you carry out a search for "Nagasaki+radiation" you will find many sites which suggest that residual radiation from the bomb is far below background. Many of them provide no sources for their information. However this one...

http://www.rerf.or.jp/general/qa_e/qa12.html

... looks interesting.