Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Macro Reply with quote

Dayum! The word is out on the Vivitar "Bokina" I guess. Was anybody here bidding on this one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7481707

That's a cool looking extension tube it has. Reminds me of my Nikon PN-1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens with extension tube I did try only once I did like all of my other macro lenses better. I couldn't get right focus easily with extension tube I did give it up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: It was me! Reply with quote

I know, I spent more on this lens than I wanted, but I did not want to let it get away.

In the last week, I've received my Voigtlander Nokton 25/0.95 and now have won the Vivitar S1 90mm f/2.5 macro.

Looks like I'll have tons of fun while learning the personalities of these lenses.

I have a new GH2 and am excited to play!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Please share your pictures here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: It was me! Reply with quote

cantman wrote:
I know, I spent more on this lens than I wanted, but I did not want to let it get away.

In the last week, I've received my Voigtlander Nokton 25/0.95 and now have won the Vivitar S1 90mm f/2.5 macro.

Looks like I'll have tons of fun while learning the personalities of these lenses.

I have a new GH2 and am excited to play!

Well congratulations on your new purchase, in any case. It's a top quality macro lens, so even though you paid quite a bit for it, I do think you'll get your money's worth out of it.

If you do some searches here on the Vivitar S1 90/2.5 or the Bokina, you'll find some absolutely stunning photos taken with that lens.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too embarrased to say what I paid for this:

shipping wasn't cheap either--came from new zealand. and no tube Sad

it is at least "as new"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It's always nice to have great ambassadors helping the newbie!

uhoh7....Please tell us what kind of dime you dropped for the Tokina 90/2.5 macro AT-X!? It'll make me feel better! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fairly typical eBay price from what I've seen, maybe a little on the low side. Honestly I'm surprised it doesn't go for more. It's reputation is legendary and it still bests many current macros. Maybe the 1:1 adapter puts some folks off? I've heard a theory that the adapter approach allows for fewer optical compromises, but it's obviously less convenient.

Anyway, I can't wait for bugs to start coming back so I can put this lens back to use!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantman wrote:
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It's always nice to have great ambassadors helping the newbie!

uhoh7....Please tell us what kind of dime you dropped for the Tokina 90/2.5 macro AT-X!? It'll make me feel better! Shocked

OK OK, everybody knows I'm a sucker anyway......

285 + 20 shipping.......cringe.

at least the letters are bright...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You...uhoh7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Come on, that's not a bad price for this lens. Can't get everything for 25$. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:

Come on, that's not a bad price for this lens. Can't get everything for 25$. Smile

hehe, even when I get great deals, I pay alot:

I put 615 altogether in those two, but worth 1000 or more.

OK, more.

But I will not sell because I love them.

the one on the left: 3000 copies made.

so I guess that makes up for spending 50 too much on tokina. Or 75.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This price is due to its reputation. It's not a bad lens, but I'm not sure it's worth the expenditure over similar lenses.

My Komine & Tamron 90s together cost less than this one; are they half as good?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

For the Minolta mount version that's a bit much, but this lens is worth it. It's a great macro lens and works well for portraits too. It's bokeh is unsurpassed. I've read that the colour rendering should be a bit better than the Vivitar version too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

My Komine & Tamron 90s together cost less than this one; are they half as good?

Certainly not. When it comes to my Tamron 90 at least, I'd have to say that it's getting into the area of splitting fine hairs indeed. I would like to see somebody do a rigorous head-to-head comparison between the Tamron 90 and the Bokina 90.

My Tamron 90 clearly has better resolution and color correction than my Kiron/Vivitar 100/2.5. But I also have an old pre-AI Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 and its sharpness is on par with the Tamron.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens. Usually it's the M42 version that exceeds $200. I got my Minolta set for $100 about a year ago. I don't bother much with the 1:1 adapter as it's too close for my tastes and the DOF is too shallow. I prefer using the lens without adapter as with these shots from last week:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super shots

as far as sharpness, many lenses can match the tokina. Well maybe not many---it does have sick rez at distance--but a number of 90s can, I'm sure.

for oof rendering....that's another matter.

a few examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/odderikgarcia/sets/72157605564009337/

Maybe the tamron can do that too: post up some links!

Mint copies going under 200----not often any more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-TOKINA-AT-X-90mm-f2-5-MACRO-LENS-w-1-1-EXTENDER-/290536805052?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43a557d2bc

but this will be an interesting test:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260745334179&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

@cooltouch: the 55 nikon f/3.5 has to be the best nikon value of any lens on today's market. Can be had for 45USD. In fact for shear sharpness, it may be the best value of any lens. It is beyond sharp. I know there are good 5 and 10 dollar lenses, but none can match the 55 I don't think---well I await correction anyway.

I was given one, but have not used it yet, instead using a good copy of the 2.8 55 I bought for 80USD.

phenomenonally sharp.

supposedly they are equal close to mid distance, but the 2.8 is a bit better at infinity. As you know, the 2.8 suffered from bad oil in the first 80,000 or so. Bjorn what's his name gave up on testing it for this reason.

I can say it kills his beloved 28 f/2 AI in resolution.

Last edited by uhoh7 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7: Are those Flicker pictures yours? Excellent. As for many other lenses matching sharpness, really? Although I agree there comes a point where they are sharp enough without splitting hairs. Mine is the Vivitar Series 1 version. I've said before in this forum that it continues to surprise me that this lens, in either of its marketing forms, doesn't get more mention. Bring up the focal length (and this one is really 87mm from what I've read) and people will start talking about all the usual names; Jupiter, Helios, Takumar, etc. But I suppose the seling prices indicate that there are plenty of others that recognize this lens' quality.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
uhoh7: Are those Flicker pictures yours? Excellent. As for many other lenses matching sharpness, really? Although I agree there comes a point where they are sharp enough without splitting hairs. Mine is the Vivitar Series 1 version. I've said before in this forum that it continues to surprise me that this lens, in either of its marketing forms, doesn't get more mention. Bring up the focal length (and this one is really 87mm from what I've read) and people will start talking about all the usual names; Jupiter, Helios, Takumar, etc. But I suppose the seling prices indicate that there are plenty of others that recognize this lens' quality.

I wish they were mine--I hope to put mine to work this spring and summer in the backcountry.

another "test" set (not mine)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davesabog/sets/72157622017732134/with/3520431437/

THE bokina homepage:

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokina-90mm-f25-at-x-macro-bokina.html

He really gets into the differences between the tank-like vivitar and the flareless tokina.

and of course the fantastic thread here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-at-x-2-5-90mm-the-bokina-ii-t30894.html

you know much more than I about the lens....cmon show us more shots

in that last thread hinnerker has an infinity crop that is fairly remarkable. Page 2 I think

the strange french review mixes things up

then you get to the test against the APO lanthar......

if a reader isn't converted at that point.....well you can see why I got excited and overpaid, hehe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are a couple of remarkable shots, Woodrim.

I don't usually promote my blog here, but you might want to take a look at the article I wrote on three macro lenses and a zoom with a decent macro setting a while back. I've posted the link here at the forum before, but in case you missed it, you might want to have a look. The article centers on the Vivitar (Kiron) 105mm f/2.5, the Tamron 90mm f/2.5, the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, and the Tamron SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4. Be sure to click on the images twice to see them full size.

http://michaelmcbroom.com/blogistan/?p=56

Also, I've posted these images here before, but I'll go ahead and do it again, since uhoh7 is asking.

This is one of the best photos I've managed to take in terms of image resolution with my Tamron 90:

Full frame:

100% crop:

And another -- the insect is about 2cm long, from head to toes:

And a 100% crop of the above:

The Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 full frame:

Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 100% crop:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check it out:

316USD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260745334179&si=Qiyw9Z%252BTcOQNzMHmoqkFTjFkjfY%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $465 for mint copy, comes with tube and case for nikon mount. I never regret that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooboy! Shocked