Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1st time spooling 120 onto 620, not good
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: 1st time spooling 120 onto 620, not good Reply with quote

Just fogged/exposed a roll of Fomapan 400 thinking one of my Brownie
Hawkeyes would do the job. Unfortunately when spooling it back to the
620 spool, the film transport is not too sophisticated and loosely wound
the film . So, popping the cover off and pulling out the film with the lights
on instantly grew antlers in my hair. Wink Guess going into my changing
closet and tearing the film off the 120 spool and then tightly winding it on a
620, reminiscent of joints I used to roll way back, never mind, will
be a better way. Any other suggestions?

At least it wasn't an $8 roll of Rollei Retro 80s, right Andy? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suggestions here, but you have now reminded me that 620 cameras are not for me. I have a Kodak 620 folder on the bay now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried to do that trick.
I think the Retro 80s is made in 620 or is it 127? They make some weird old size I remember.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, it's in both 120 and 127.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I do it:
in a changing bag (a real dark room is probably better yet), unroll the film + paper from a 120 roll - some say to roll it onto another roll (or use a camera to do so - actually using a camera to do this seems like a good idea, I'll try that next time! I just unroll and collect the thing into a loose roll without a spool.

then put the just released end of the paper into the 620 spool, and start wrapping tightly... feel for where the film starts to get it on the RIGHT side of the paper (if you miss, your re-roll still works, only you'll probably cut off the last frame) and keep winding tightly. when you get to the other end of the film, gently loosen the tape that holds it on the paper - and let the re-rolling take care of re-attaching it at the correct spot.

That's it. Getting the wind tight is key.

I've had the loose take up spooling issue with the 1913 Brownie - once you know your camera will do this, unload in the dark, like you say.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jussi, I'll try that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This by the way is a great illustrated guide (I hadn't seen it before):
http://www.brownie-camera.com/respool/respool.shtml

The only bit I do differently is when I get to the tape end on the 620 side, I just detach the tape and let it attach itself to the paper - simpler and sure to avoid any kink.