Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto and Super Takumars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Auto and Super Takumars Reply with quote

How does the semi-automatic "Auto Takumar" work? I assume one "cocked" the lens which closed down when you took the photo and then stayed that way until you cocked it again.

The reason I ask is that I recently got an Auto Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens (on a Pentax S3) but it works exactly like a Super Takumar. I read somewhere or other that the latest Auto-Takumars were actually Supers with the Auto name on them as they hadn't released the Super range.

I assume that when using a Super Tak on a Auto-Tak era body and using long exposures one would have to use the lens on manual? When checking out my H2 I found that the aperture closed down as one would expect but then opened straight back up again. Not a problem I would guess with a fast shutter speed but a bit of a disaster at 1 second!

Many thanks, Kris.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, during the end of the Auto-Takumar era there were Super-Takumars with the Auto-Takumar name. I have a few of them too, including an uncommon version with dots between the f/stops on the diaphragm ring. How does this one compare to yours (serial number and external shape)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****The reason I ask is that I recently got an Auto Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens (on a Pentax S3) but it works exactly like a Super Takumar. I read somewhere or other that the latest Auto-Takumars were actually Supers with the Auto name on them as they hadn't released the Super range. ***

The auto Tak 55mm f1.8 is the same as the super Tak......if set on auto it stops down to your selected f stop then opens wide again, switch to manual and it stay down at selected f stop.

Spotmatic..After seeing your pic, mine is slightly different in having yellow instead of orange mm distance (engraved) and is 497570. Also DOF scale doesn't have F1.8 marked

Last edited by Excalibur on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number is 515427.

The aperture ring is without the dots and with straight lines for the DoF indications.

It is definitely a Super Tak-style Auto-Tak, however. The glass is nice and clear and the blades clean but the body is very worn and a bit tatty.

I'll post some pics when I get the chance.

Best wishes, Kris.