Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Viewfinder and LCD shutter speed variation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Viewfinder and LCD shutter speed variation Reply with quote

I finally got out and about with my camera this weekend and pretty much spent the whole time snapping away with different MF lenses in different conditions.

What I noticed was when in aperture priority mode, the viewfinder pics came out slightly darker than when using the LCD monitor.

I did some direct comparisons in aperture priority - one through the LCD and then the same shot through the viewfinder and every time the viewfinder looked under exposed. When I checked the info I noticed that those taken using the viewfinder had a faster shutter speed.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting I have missed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that this is normal for modern DSLR cameras. I have a Pentax K-5 and it does exactly what you are describing. The problem is that the camera does not know the f/stop used, so it has to rely on the metering cells in the viewfinder. However, modern ground glass screens are not very good for metering. In Live View (I presume this is what you were referring to with "LCD") the metering is done from the sensor information itself so that should be nearly perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was a quick response.

Looks like viewfinders really are for old men!