Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultra slim Canon FD-EF adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Ultra slim Canon FD-EF adapter Reply with quote

An adaptor shop in Hong Kong made a 1mm thin FD to EF adapter. Some tele lens greater than or equal to 300mm will have infinity focus after focus adjustment. Not sure if they still have stock now.

http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php?tid=136738&highlight=

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but for $400 US or HK dollars?

Also, would it really be wise to use such slim adapter for heavy lenses like 300/2.8?

-Si.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 bucks ?

Send the lens to me and the conversion is 2x cheaper and infinity is .. 100 per cent.. Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch thats a heck of a lot of money, can buy a dslr for that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Looks good, but for $400 US or HK dollars?

Also, would it really be wise to use such slim adapter for heavy lenses like 300/2.8?

-Si.

The price is $300 HKD. About us$40.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Better ones Reply with quote

And here is the original: Ed Mikas FD-EF adapters:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/5423687645/

For me they looks much better - and the get infinity for some of the longer lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is no room on there for an af-confirm chip on that design, something really handy when using modern extenders/teleconverters since the camera will read an error if there is no lens electrical contact being emulated unless the t/c contacts are taped over. Also there is a world of difference in terms of achievable focus distance between 1mm and 0.75mm flange thickness and by going brass with no coating I can hold a very high tolerance on this flange. 0.5mm or less flange thickness will leave a score mark on the plastic holding the camera electrical contacts on an EF body but not EF-S mount body. I figured a cheap copy would come out from China, at some point but boy these guys copy fast. -Ed Mika

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Ed!

I'd be very interested in the maximum focusing distance with for instance my FD 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical. If it's good for full body shots then I might be interested.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Welcome, Ed!

I'd be very interested in the maximum focusing distance with for instance my FD 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical. If it's good for full body shots then I might be interested.

I've not had the opportunity to try an FD 85 1.2 however from limited shorter FD focal length testing none of these lenses would reach infinity with any adapter, even a 100% internal one with no flange (I have a prototype of that too). A good test is to carefully hold the lenses right up to an EF-S camera body flange (or even more carefully on an EF body) with focus set as far as it can go and take a shot, whatever you can focus on is as far as it will ever go. My adapter is a must have for 600 and 800mm shooters, but will only give about 100meters for a 400 f/4.5, 40 feet for a 200 f/2.8 and 7 feet for a 100-300 f/4 and 3 feet for a 50 f/1.4. For shorter FD legacy lenses I'm looking forward to a better EVIL/mirrorless body coming out possibly from Canon along the lines of a NEX-5, the flange focal distance is 18mm so a glassless adapter can put the lens at 42mm design distance to the sensor, with the EF system being 44mm, 2mm behind FD design is the best you can do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: I finally put my adapters up for sale on eBay Reply with quote

Here is the link if anyone is interested in purchasing an EdMika adapter,
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180629947834&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_611wt_1141

In my opinion this is something that makes a lot of sense for anyone who owns any versions of Canons FD 600mm 4.5 and 800mm 5.6 lenses as they will focus to infinity on an EF body. I developed it over the last year and a half and have had really nice shooting results.

Details on my flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/sets/72157623884845990/ and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/sets/72157624929098837/

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that it is a great idea -- moreover, if you don't want to change your lens --

i.e.- the lens is rare or the lens can be used on different camera system (i.e. NEX)

but there is only one little complaint - the infinity

I mean 100 per cent infinity can give the lens a real shine -- all aberrations - especially comma are under 'better' control

Otherwise, the 44.75 mm flange back length should not have an impact on lens performance too much but if you have accurate infinity focus....well, the lens performs absolutely amazingly.

tf