Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infected Jupiter-37A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Infected Jupiter-37A Reply with quote

Hi guys! Been a bit since I have stopped by.

Well, I was waiting for this J37A lens to stop with the purchase frenzy all beginners seem to go through and start having fun!

The seller claimed it had fungi infection but since I was going to get for less than 30 bucks and given the love this lens seems to deserve among the vintage class I decided to take the risk.

Now I would like your opinion on if the infection is severly afecting image quality. The following are a couple of tests I did and later edited with Photoshop's default adjustments color-wise, contrast-wise and levels-wise so we could compare the original result with the edited one.

Physical evidence (white spots are fungi I believe):

According to the pics the seller had, they are located in the rear element. I have tried disassembling it but I was not able to get to it.

First comparison:

Second comparison:

Physical evidence was taken with the Yashica and the comparison shots were taken with the J37A (obviously), wide-open (ƒ/3.5) and I had to improvise for I haven't bought the adapter yet.

I also take the chance to ask anyone who has specific instruction for the disassembling of this lens since on how to reach the rear element (the massive chunk of cemented glass?) to apply some cold cream to see if the damn fungus would go away..

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best site that I've been able to find.
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/lens%20and%20optics.html
I've read that the Jupiter 11 is similar in construction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Infected Jupiter-37A Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

Now I would like your opinion on if the infection is severly afecting image quality.

It looks like it definitely impacts color and contrast. A good sample should give you results closer to the photoshopped ones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non multi-coated 37A isn't THAT contrasty anyway. It's certainly not as contrasy as the Carl Zeiss Jena version, for example. See:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=31562

But...it does look like it's struggling with the fungus. Try shooting a picture of the rear element with your DSLR with flash on. Leave the front cap on keep the background dark. Then we can see the real fungus infection Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Infected Jupiter-37A Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

According to the pics the seller had, they are located in the rear element. I have tried disassembling it but I was not able to get to it.

I also take the chance to ask anyone who has specific instruction for the disassembling of this lens since on how to reach the rear element (the massive chunk of cemented glass?) to apply some cold cream to see if the damn fungus would go away..

The rear element is easily removed. There's just one ring - it's obvious which one it is.

However perhaps you mean the rear element of the front group. The front optical block simply unscrews. Hold the very front of the lens - the short part in front of the aperture ring - and unscrew. This will provide access to the back surface of the rear element of the front optical block.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The non multi-coated 37A isn't THAT contrasty anyway.

Yeah those pics surely show that, less contrast for sure.

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Try shooting a picture of the rear element with your DSLR with flash on.

Fungus is not seen from the rear only from the front of the lens, maybe the seller was referring to the rear-front element. Anyway, a couple more:

sichko wrote:

However perhaps you mean the rear element of the front group. The front optical block simply unscrews. Hold the very front of the lens - the short part in front of the aperture ring - and unscrew. This will provide access to the back surface of the rear element of the front optical block.

I haven't been able to do so.. I have tried to force it a bit but it feels solid and won´t budge, I seen it disassembled in the seller's picks, including the infected element (a large chunk of glass), but I am afraid of breaking it really.