Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slightly thicker PK to EF adapters?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Slightly thicker PK to EF adapters? Reply with quote

I was just thinking out loud, but do Pentax K to EF adapters exist which are slightly thicker than normal? As I almost never take photos at or around infinity, such an adapter would be perfect for me (no mirror clearance issues).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cheap PK to EOS adaptor cannot lock the lens firmly. Not sure if someone can made a thick adaptor but I think no company will make such adaptor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least I have asked. Maybe I will look for a super slim PK extension tube. Who knows, it might exist.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Well, at least I have asked. Maybe I will look for a super slim PK extension tube. Who knows, it might exist.

I think the best way to use PK lens on EOS camera is mount conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

And that's something I will not do. NEVER! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

And that's something I will not do. NEVER! Smile

or buy a pentax camera. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Might be easier to find a EF extension tube, there seem to be a lot on Ebay.

I didn't look very hard but this one has a 9mm extension tube:

Click here to see on Ebay

9mm still sounds like a lot.

It looks like there's an EF adapter on each side that screw onto the various sizes of threaded tube. It might be possible to just superglue the 2 EF pieces together for a relatively thin shim. One thing's for sure, the price is right for experimenting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Might be easier to find a EF extension tube, there seem to be a lot on Ebay.

I didn't look very hard but this one has a 9mm extension tube:

Click here to see on Ebay

9mm still sounds like a lot.

It looks like there's an EF adapter on each side that screw onto the various sizes of threaded tube. It might be possible to just superglue the 2 EF pieces together for a relatively thin shim. One thing's for sure, the price is right for experimenting.

Not sure if the quality of such extension tube will be good enough to make a small extension tube but your idea is worth to try.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a thought --- why not get a PK film camera such as the MX or ME?
Both excellent cameras and pretty much cheap as chips. Of course there are other PK fit film cameras out there

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How thick an adapter would be optimal for you? A normal PK to EF adapter is just over a mm thick.

The next thinnest off-the-shelf option I can think of is a combination of a Pentax K to Nikon F macro adapter combined with a normal Nikon F to EF adapter. I can't tell exactly how thick the macro adapter is, my guess would be at least 8mm.

No extension tubes I know of for either Canon EF or Pentax K are less than 12mm thick. They all have a lens locking pin mechanism which requires a depth of several mm. The cheap Canon tube mentioned earlier in this thread isn't 9mm thick, that's the width of the smallest extension tube. You need a lens mount ring and a camera mount ring. For Canon those two together are 16mm thick. The 9mm ring can be added between those to create a 25mm extension ring.

You could buy a set of cheap chinese Canon EF and Pentax extension tubes and use a Pentax lens mount ring together with a Canon camera mount ring. As far as I know both sets have a 60mm 0.75 pitch thread. You will end up with a ring about 14mm thick, I guess.

The best solution may be to create your own adapter like I did for Canon FD to EF:

http://forum.mflenses.com/thin-adapter-for-fd-to-eos-possible-t17993,start,15.html

In your case, screwing/glueing the front part of a PK extension tube onto an EF ring should result in an adapter of anywhere between 3 and 8mm. You won't have the easy to use lens locking pin though..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought: Find a Nikon->EF adapter of two piece construction, take off
the central part of this adapter. Then you glue PK->EF adapter to half-sized
F->EF adapter, it will end up to 3~4mm thick PK->EF adapter though you
may not have lens lock mechanism to the canon body as dickb suggested.

This method has one merit, when you glue them together you can make
perfectly aligned PK->EF adapter, ie. your lens's distance marker will be
at the top unlike some PK->EF adapter cannot meet this. One more thing is
you may not have to take off lens' aperture lever, since this DIY adapter
is thick enough to avoid a complication. Cool Cool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PK to EOS that works ok but no idea of the maker or where I got it.

Sorry that really wasn't worth writing. Rolling Eyes