Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 ZF ZE ZK
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 ZF ZE ZK Reply with quote

Unbelievably, a thorough search did not reveal ZE/ZF/ZK specific topics?

I love this lens. Design and factory tolerances are like Rolls Royce, every aperture useable and the lens has a very versatile dual character: Though the Planar design is designed for medium to infinity detail, the delicate softness at near focusing wide open is perfect for portraits. Everything about this lens breathes QUALITY. Every aperture useable. Focusing experience must be close to switching gear on a Bentley - delicate and precision-driven.

These are all shot at high ISO (4000 to 6400) using a Nikon D3.

f/2 1/80s hand-held

f/2 1/100s hand-held

f/1.4 1/100s hand-held

f/1.4 1/100s hand-held

Last edited by Esox lucius on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 am; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh is sooooo smooth, surprise to see such a big difference with 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85 1.4 does not exist in ZS.
Quote:
Camera Mounts: F mount (ZF), EF mount (ZE), K mount (ZK)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an amazing lens ! nice samples .

well there's only some money to save left Cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
The bokeh is sooooo smooth, surprise to see such a big difference with 50/1.4.

Yess there is. Really close to sonnar look.

What about comparison to Nikkor 85/1.4 Ais?
There is half price difference and contrast should be similiar also when would be talk about plasticity of pictures. Suppose that lens aperture blades have same number.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and natural photos... I like this kind of unobtrusive OOF areas rendering.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it was originally intended or not, the persistence of under-corrected spherical aberration in Zeiss Planar designs under f2 makes me believe that Zeiss, while demonstrating superior MTF at infinity, was leaving the diffusive contrast, wide open at short distance, as a property of the artist.

The ZK and C/Y both do this. I too take it as a delightful opportunity.

K.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet to use my PK mount one a bit more frequently. Over the last few months I've been buying up on modern ZK mount Zeiss lenses after finding a US seller who is bery reasonably priced. Due to storage limitations at home I've had to sell a few old MF lenses to make space for them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
What about comparison to Nikkor 85/1.4 Ais? There is half price difference and contrast should be similiar also when would be talk about plasticity of pictures. Suppose that lens aperture blades have same number.

I would be very interested to compare the two, but I don't have the Nikkor 85/1.4 Ai-S.

I paid EUR 515 for a new in box ZF 85/1.4 at Yodobashi in Osaka, the yen was record low at the time and I had a contact who arranged an extra 15% discount for me. I consider that to be very lucky, the lens costs 1099 EUR in Finland.

left Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 ZF, right Nikkor 85/1.4 Ai-S

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
Whether it was originally intended or not, the persistence of under-corrected spherical aberration in Zeiss Planar designs under f2 makes me believe that Zeiss, while demonstrating superior MTF at infinity, was leaving the diffusive contrast, wide open at short distance, as a property of the artist.

The ZK and C/Y both do this. I too take it as a delightful opportunity.

Kelly, you summarized it much better than I could.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 1st shot, some great emotion in that one

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1st one shot !

classic style !!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say that i do not possess tech understanding to differentiate this lens in performance between various mounts and betwixt various versions (mm, non mm etc), but having recently recieved a plain ol' contax mount version with no other lettering than T*, i have to say it is the absolute finest lens i have ever used, which bears out what i have seen on this forum: that in any incarnation the pix i have seen, and now taken, are among the best to my eye. while previously i was enamored of my c/y planar 50/1.4 T*, i dont know if i will ever take the 85 off my 5d again!

btw, these are just lovely shots, esp 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
What about comparison to Nikkor 85/1.4 Ais?
There is half price difference and contrast should be similiar also when would be talk about plasticity of pictures. Suppose that lens aperture blades have same number.

The Nikkor is sharper, especially wide open and especially at close distances due to its floating CRC design. The Zeiss is sharper stopped down. Also, when stopped down, the Zeiss has stronger contrast than the Nikkor. Bokeh is different between the two lenses, but delightful in both of them. There's no wrong choice here, really.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 ZF ZE ZK Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Unbelievably, a thorough search did not reveal ZE/ZF/ZK specific topics?

That's perhaps because of the search function. I have shown several pictures and written several texts on the new Zeiss lenses here.

Here are just a few:

Zeiss Distagon 2/28 and 2/35 on
Canon EF/M

Zeiss Twins (2x Distagon)

Zeiss Distagon 2/35 ZE on Canon EOS 5D - Xmas Market

Zeiss Distagon T* 3.5/18 ZF - a short report

Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/25 ZF - some shots

And especially about the lens you mention here:

First shots with the Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/85 ZE

Some (more) shots with the new Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 ZE...

And finally:
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/85 ZE - a field report

But I also have this problem often that I do not find a particular post when searching although I know that it was there!

BTW, have a look here... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Carsten, thank you for the effort and compiling the links. Lot of good reading to go through!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

I would be very interested to compare the two, but I don't have the Nikkor 85/1.4 Ai-S.

I paid EUR 515 for a new in box ZF 85/1.4 at Yodobashi in Osaka, the yen was record low at the time and I had a contact who arranged an extra 15% discount for me. I consider that to be very lucky, the lens costs 1099 EUR in Finland.

Wow, fantastic deal. You was lucky. Who could resist...
aoleg wrote:

The Nikkor is sharper, especially wide open and especially at close distances due to its floating CRC design. The Zeiss is sharper stopped down. Also, when stopped down, the Zeiss has stronger contrast than the Nikkor. Bokeh is different between the two lenses, but delightful in both of them. There's no wrong choice here, really.

I guess that modern coatings makes apparent defference between them.
And that's true about choice which one. There is great quality about those "branded" fast 85's. Actually that focal lenght has all the time special place at FF.