Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Triotar 135/4 to the rescue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Triotar 135/4 to the rescue Reply with quote

My Canon 24-70 2.8L wasn't giving results that I liked, so I slapped the Triotar 135 onto the 5D MkII, together with a short extension tube, and hey presto! the result was about as good as I could hope for.

I can't recommend it for studio flash, though, as it isn't a preset which makes it hard to get the right focus and aperture. I was focusing, hand-held wide open, then keeping position while I tried to guess how far to swivel the aperture ring. It's easier with lenses that click between stops, where I count the number of clicks to the desired aperture. Presets are even better for this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more proof that canon L series got beaten by Old Zeiss, my friend told me the same case, 70-200 L vs sonnar 135/3,5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may depend on which version of the 70-200 he has. The f2.8 non-IS is a very hard lens to beat but is is also a hell of a lot bigger and heavier than the Sonnar 135. I haven't tried the f4 zoom but the IS version is reputed to have sacrificed some image quality to get the stabilisation.

I've just shot this as an example, one is an uncoated zebra Sonnar, the other is the 70-200. As canon does not do auto-vignette correction on unidentified lenses I've processed for that and I've also given a touch more saturation to the Sonnar. After that, I find it hard to choose between them, really (the focus is on slightly different bits):

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allessandro reported same old lenses was better for this kind of photos.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well I expect a modern $1,000 prime lens would be just as good. But that's the point, isn't it? You don't need the expensive modern version (and the 70-200 is now close to $2,000).

The Sonnar is quite handy for this set-up because it has a stop-down lever, so you can focus and switch instantly to the selected aperture. It also focuses closer than the 70-200, so the macro tube can give a larger image.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my friend did start to buy old CZJ lenses, 35mm, 135mm , 200mm all MC latest version soon after some Canon fun told to him 135mm L lens is must have . My friend did sold freshly purchased CZJ lenses to finance one 135mm lens from Canon. After short while he sold 135mm L and start to buy again CZJ lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My friend did sold freshly purchased CZJ lenses to finance one 135mm lens from Canon. After short while he sold 135mm L and start to buy again CZJ lenses Laughing

Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Macro tests Reply with quote

I did some more tests today - lovely winter weather outside - and I'm starting to really enjoy this gem of a lens. A 1:1 closeup, untouched high JPG at ISO 100 and f/5.6:

There's some orange/magenta CA in the extreme highlights but I don't mind at all given this tough old fecker's age! Laughing

More Triotar shots here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49262662@N05/sets/72157625636695179/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples Valli, thank you!