Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for a camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Looking for a camera Reply with quote

Hi! I'm trying to find a new film camera to carry around every where I go. I own Holga 135bc. It looks nice, it's easy carry around, but it's lacking exposure control and it suck in low light. I want someting old and stylish and manual focus of course:) I tried different recourses from the internet, but it's hard to find specs for different old cameras. Then I remembered this forum and thought that true experts of this manner are here Smile

..and here's what I'm looking for:
The camera shouldn't be fully automatic, shutter/aperature priority or full manual would be nice. Bulb would be nice. PC sync port or hot shoe for flash. Tripod socket. For 135 mm film. No SLR. The smaller the better. Better low light performance than f8, 1/100 s.

..and of cource it should be as cheap as possible. I know the price cuts off lots of opinions, but it shouldn't cost more than 35 euros (or 50 US dollars or 30 pounds).

I would appreciate any opinion or suggestion!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price does cut off many of the stylish options.

But there will still be plenty of good cameras in that category.

Most of the Japanese rangefinders from the 1950's-1970's would match your requirements. There are hundreds of models. Most are perfectly fine, if in working condition.

How about a Ricoh 500G or GX ? These are usually reliable. Mine is still working after 30 years, and I bought it used. Just need to change the light seals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How small does it have to be? If you can put up with a rangefinder that has a protruding lens, I'd recommend the ever-popular Canon QL-17 GIII. f/1.7 lens, manual and auto exposure. Manual film advance. Nice, easy to use rangefinder focusing. Hot shoe and PC connector also I think. They can often be found for less than $50US.

Another possibility, bu with fewer exposure options is the Olympus XA. Very compact, aperture-priority exposure control. Flash is done with the dedicated A11 unit. But they seldom sell for $50. They're pretty collectible.

But as Luis says, there are many Japanese rangefinders that will do a good job. Just yesterday, I bought a Yashica Electro 35 for $22US. The Yashica Electro 35 has a great reputation for taking very sharp images. Yashica also made a Lynx that is a good camera, but I don't know how much luck you'll have at finding one for $50US or less. It's a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as small as possible for 35mm film, approx 35 € used, aperture priority...this might be a Minox 35 ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an Oly or a Konica? Here's some threads with pics
http://forum.mflenses.com/olympus-35-sp-arrived-today-t33292.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-auto-s2-t31600.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica T3, Canon QL-17 , Konica Auto S2 all fit into your budget, Yashica T3 is fully automatic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based in my experience:
If you can find one, the yashica electro 35 MC is very good: usually very cheap, tiny, very sharp lens, automatic aperture priority, but only scale focus (not an issue with the 40 mm lens) and no bulb.

Javier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would bet on olympus xa (exactly as written) - maybe you get it for slightly higher price, but it´s small (VERY small), has sharp lens and good metering