Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Auto S2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Konica Auto S2 Reply with quote

This one was sitting all alone, with nobody bidding, on a recent evening. When it came I was amazed at the good shape everything seemed to be in... until I tried the film advance and shutter - neither moved or did anything at all! Evil or Very Mad I created bad ebay karma by thinking bad thoughts about the seller, I mean, "don't know if it works" to me would include simple stuff like does the film advance move?

Anyway, the following morning I found out the camera locks up in the Auto position of the aperture dial - if there is not electricity. So, a quick flip of the ring and I'm in business. Later I buy the right battery - though checking vs. a Gossen, I'm setting the camera at ASA 100 for ASA 400 film. (Does saying ASA date me?) It looks like it needs new foam, but there aren't any light leaks as I use it with the very high quality never ready case bottom. I promptly tried to correct my ebay karma by admitting to the seller I'd had bad thoughts, but now was extremely happy (probably happier than they, as the camera went for minimum bid)

So how's it compare with... say a C35 or an Electro GSN? Glad you asked Smile

Obviously larger than the C35, but nearly identical in size to the Yashica

My initial impression is that the two are very competitive when it comes to operation - they both have smooth ratcheting frame advances, though the Konica's throw is shorter... both have excellent view finders and focus patches, parallax correction, both feel good in hand. The S2, in addition to parallax, corrects for field size - the frame in the vf actually expands and contracts as you focus in and out. The GSN only moves the frame lines for parallax, not adjusting for field size.

However: the S2 has a manual mode and the GSN does not. The GSN is aperture priority (which I'm more used to) while the S2 has shutter priority. The S2 shows metered aperture in the view finder - GSN has no indicators in the vf. The S2 locks up in auto mode if either under or over exposure is going to happen, or the battery is dead or missing. GSN as far as I can recall doesn't lock up, but without battery you have 1/500 only.

The metering on both is good - though both have battery 'problems' to solve these days. Though the S2 cell is in the lens, thus it reads through whatever filter you throw on, while with the GSN you have to adjust ASA to account for filter factors.

The Yash has a shutter lock; the same effect is to be had with the Konica by putting the camera in auto and a lens cap on the lens. Oh, the Konica has a built in hood. In general, and especially with the hood extended, I can see the lens more in the Konica finder than with the Yashica. The GSN has a hot shoe, the S2 does not. (The GSN is excellent for flash shooting with a thyristor flash, perhaps the S2 might be as well) For what it's worth, the leather case for the Konica is miles, miles classier than the faux textured cheap feeling one for the Yashica.

So, sample pix? First roll, Ferrania 400. (Have a roll of Neopan 400 ready to develop today)

duo, dynamic, early morning by Nesster, on Flickr

the photographer as ventilation fan by Nesster, on Flickr

OK performance vs. the sun

56860018 by Nesster, on Flickr

shade by Nesster, on Flickr

(CVS scans, with some levels done) (Camera shots with a SMC Takumar 35mm f/3.5 on a K100D)

Then, there's a few vintage ads:

Konica Auto-S2 1965 by Nesster, on Flickr

Konica auto S-2 1966 by Nesster, on Flickr

1973 - Konica Auto-S2 rangefinder by Nesster, on Flickr

Last edited by Nesster on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got a good 'un, Jussi.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like these shots, are these store scans? Agree, ya got a shooter!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm really positively surprised with this camera. CVS scans.

56860011 PULL by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all great!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
all great!

+1 Shocking good!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Konica guys are pissing me off! Oh, I guess I'm a Konica guy, too. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
You Konica guys are pissing me off! Oh, I guess I'm a Konica guy, too. Wink

My weakest Hexanon i.e. 28mm f3.5 gave VG results on Fuji superia 200 asa:-

Supermarket dev and scan to CD no touch up in Photoshop just reduced to 800pix:-

Crop no touching up in Photoshop:-

Photoshop fiddle to convert crop to a digital squeaky clean look:-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's such a beauty, but only now that I have one in my hand I see just how beautiful it really is Wink

even love it's case Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go, isn't it a nice camera... does not get nearly the fame it deserves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Andreas! I look forward your shoots!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
There ya go, isn't it a nice camera... does not get nearly the fame it deserves.

yes Nesster, I just love it!
curious that mine does not have the built in lens hood, curious because otherwise the camera is minty and doubt that it broke off, or does it come off easily?
Attila wrote:
Congrats Andreas! I look forward your shoots!

hm..I hope very much I can show some Attila, but..
it is embarrassing, I have quite a few film cameras by now but only have shot one roll film so far, in these last few years. I can't carry all my camera on my long travels, my dSLR is with me then, and when in Austria I am quite busy. I plan to shoot a roll or two while soon, daily, going to and coming back from my work at a Christmas market in Vienna. For it's small size I may choose the Auto S3 ( mine is the Japanese model called C35 fd ) which I have since a while, and it was you and photos you had shown taken with your C35 that made me get this camera recently too, mine is called 'flashmatic', I think it is 'automatic' outside Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring one of them to your travels and shoot B&W film too or slides sometimes. Great fun and in selected cases still better than digital in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Bring one of them to your travels and shoot B&W film too or slides sometimes. Great fun and in selected cases still better than digital in my opinion.

yes, I am planning to.
not sure if it will be a Pentax ME Super, so I can use my Pentax / Takumar lenses, or the Konica Auto S3, more likely both

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Attila wrote:

yes, I am planning to.
not sure if it will be a Pentax ME Super, so I can use my Pentax / Takumar lenses, or the Konica Auto S3, more likely both

Konica produce better images than any SLR with any lens at least this was my experience. So little and light weight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
curious that mine does not have the built in lens hood, curious because otherwise the camera is minty and doubt that it broke off, or does it come off easily?

From the pic it looks like your has the hood - just pull it out. It may be stuck for some reason, but it sure looks present Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
kuuan wrote:

From the pic it looks like your has the hood - just pull it out. It may be stuck for some reason, but it sure looks present Wink

Jussi from your pics I can see that the black front of the lens barrel, with the hood, has a bigger diameter than the rest of the lens in silver. It is the opposite on my camera, and the black front also does not say 'Konica Japan' as on your's. I am afraid the hood really is missing..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kuuan.

It's should seems an obvious thing, but have you turned the black cylinder towards both sides? Sticky shade?

I guess that that cylinder can be the shade.

Did anybody try the 1,6 version?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rino,

no, I am sure the hood simply is not there.
if you look at the cameras from the top, at the lens barrels of Jussi's and my camera, at the front black part, you will notice that on Jussi's the diameter of the black, front part is bigger than the diameter of the 'lower' silver part of the barrel. On my camera the diameter of the front, black part of the lens barrel is smaller than the diameter of the silver part. The added lens hood makes the diameter of the front, black part on Jussi's camera bigger.
On mine it simply isn't there.. It came with a well fitting lens cap with a 'Konica' lettering in exactly the same style as on the camera itself, a lens cap that very much looks like it must be the original one. Therefore I believe, that in case the cap on Jussi's camera fits around the lens hood and not on the lens barrel itself, as on mine, my camera originally came without a built in hood.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this camera, Hexanon lens make this RF bettter.

Still looking Konica Auto S3 (black).. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzwave wrote:
I love this camera, Hexanon lens make this RF bettter.

Still looking Konica Auto S3 (black).. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the older version...the Konica S. It has the selenium meter rather than the Cds. Seeing these I must get out and shoot more with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice Big Dawg and in good condition.

Here's mine, that came to me as non-working and very tatty. I spent a lot of time fixing her up and I am very pleased with her now. Its one of the most prized cameras I own now. I might not of done all this work if it hadn't come with the mint condition Sun attachments though.

Work done:

1) Rewire from battery compartment - to cds light cell and the + side from battery to meter.

2) Rangefinder mirror had become detached so needed re-fixing then recalibrated.

3) Aperture blades stuck and had to be freed.

4) New lightseals

5) New black goat skin body covers.

6) Completely cleaning inside and out as I went.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , congrats for your restoration! Great product shoot ! I look forward your results in Galleries!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys will be responsible for making me spend more money... Smile