Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Servicing CZJ Pancolar 80/f1.8 + Diagram
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Servicing CZJ Pancolar 80/f1.8 + Diagram Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm being offered this CZJ Pancolar 80/f1.8 M42 lens but the seller noted that it has fungus on the back element, near the edge spread over an area of about 6mm. Since I don't have physical access to the lens so I can't really see how severe the issue is.

I've looked on the net and found this diagram which stated to be the one for CZJ Pancolar 80/f1.8, can anyone confirm that's the case?

In the event that the diagram is right, would it be easy to clean the fungus? Anyone has tried it before?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have serviced several 80mm Pancolars. It's one of the easiest lenses to service, as the front and back groups both can be removed in one piece. This makes your problem easily solved.

You should start with unscrewing the back mount part (three large screws). Please look how the diaphragm linkage works; you need to see how to place the mount back (it's easy though).

The back lens group can then be unscrewed in one piece (anti-clockwise). You can correct your problem from here (you will need a spanner wrench though if you don't want to damage anything).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I have serviced several 80mm Pancolars. It's one of the easiest lenses to service, as the front and back groups both can be removed in one piece. This makes your problem easily solved.

You should start with unscrewing the back mount part (three large screws). Please look how the diaphragm linkage works; you need to see how to place the mount back (it's easy though).

The back lens group can then be unscrewed in one piece (anti-clockwise). You can correct your problem from here (you will need a spanner wrench though if you don't want to damage anything).

Many thanks for your quick reply, Peter. Is $250 a reasonable price for this lens with that type of fungus issue? The glasses look free of scratch and cleaning marks. No oil on blades.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Many thanks for your quick reply, Peter. Is $250 a reasonable price for this lens with that type of fungus issue? The glasses look free of scratch and cleaning marks. No oil on blades.

No thanks! Smile

It's unfortunate that the fungus is near the back element(s). Fortunately there are no glued elements in the back part. Now I hope that the fungus the seller is describing is of the "dry" variety which, in my experience, is very easy to clean and does not eat into the coating. If that's the case then $250 is a VERY good price for a lens which is still fairly rare (but well regarded).

But if I were you I should try to get a picture of the back element first (if possible).