Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help Identifying this lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Help Identifying this lens Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got this lens and I'm wondering if someone could tell me the exact model?

Some how the word Carl Zeiss is not on the lens marking...Just the word Jena...

Would say that the condition of the lens is quite bad...oil all over the aperture blade, the aperture switch does not work...and sometimes the blades get stuck.

Nonetheless, the lens is still damn tack sharp!

Many Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gildow on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identifying this lens Reply with quote

could it be "aus Jena"?

Last edited by kansalliskala on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's indeed the export version of the Zebra Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F3.5 Sonnar, so it's marked "aus JENA".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help Identifying this lens Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

could it be "aus Jena"?

it was sold to me as "135 f3.5 Carl Zeiss - Jena Sonnar Zebra M42 Red infinity"

I'm just wondering if I'm being ripped off....supposed to be modified to focus infinity...I've got no idea what does the "RED" means at all...

So what I am trying to find out here if I'm being ripped of...for sure the condition is not "Excellent" as quoted by the seller... but I hope at least it is the lens that the seller claims to be even if it is a aus jena....

It sure does not look like what I've found on google

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Zeiss Jena Sonnar, but obviously in messed up condition!
Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help. I've contacted tHe seller on the condition of the lens and he is willing to send me another one...just got to pray that I dun get another lemon.

Anyway, the lens did produce damn good image as it is...I must say that t is worth every cent.

Quick question though... What's the difference between aus Jena and the one marked Carl zeiss jena?

Am i right to assume Optically are they the same and the only difference is cosmetics?

If not, which is better?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason for CZJ to change the name on several markets is the war with CZO about the rights on the name Zeiss, often lost by CZJ. No difference in the lenses itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
The only reason for CZJ to change the name on several markets is the war with CZO about the rights on the name Zeiss, often lost by CZJ. No difference in the lenses itself.

O for Oberkochen?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.. I see and understand much more now (with the help of google as well).

Anyway, the seller has sent me another piece of lens...supposed to be replace what I have got...but some how...I think he sent me a F4 instead of a F3.5...

I took a couple of images with the same wide open with the F3.5 and F4...some how, the F4 seems to be much lesser contrast compared the the F3.5...

Is this normal?

The image on the left is using a F4, and the image on the right is using a F3.5...

Both image is opened in LR using standard ACR, no changes or what so ever...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

To start with. But by the early fifties, the designs began to diverge considerably, and Zeiss Oberkochen (Opton, Carl Zeiss) was at the forefront of optical research, while CZJ was moving at a very much slower pace. Later, production quality began to go down the drain as well,