Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica-R to Pentax bayonet
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Leica-R to Pentax bayonet Reply with quote

Hi,

does anyone has experiences with such a bayonet.

Until end of last year Leitax offers this solution exclusively, but in the meantime there are few other sellers from HK/China on the market for a fraction of the costs.

Thanks for your assistance.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought cheap Chinese made one , it is perfect on G1 with Pentax adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that we talk about the same thing Attila.

I mean this one - for example

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I should finally buy myself a Leica Summicron-R 50/2 to test this solution out myself. I always wanted to have a Leica lens; maybe this is the perfect opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Interesting. I should finally buy myself a Leica Summicron-R 50/2 to test this solution out myself. I always wanted to have a Leica lens; maybe this is the perfect opportunity.

Peter, if you you want to try before to buy, you can just buy an adapter and try one of my Leica lenses Wink ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Peter, if you you want to try before to buy, you can just buy an adapter and try one of my Leica lenses Wink ...

Thanks for the offer, Pascal! But you do know that this solution requires the original mount to be replaced with a new one with K bayonet??? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
pich900 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Thanks for the offer, Pascal! But you do know that this solution requires the original mount to be replaced with a new one with K bayonet??? Shocked

Yes I know, where is the prb?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Not sure that we talk about the same thing Attila.

I mean this one - for example

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Wink

I confirm I did talk about this one.

I bought it because I had Pentax helicoid + bellow and I did wish to use Leica 100 f4 bellow head lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, thanks for the comments.

I ordered a bayonet yesterday evening. Delivery time approx. 10 days to Germany. Will remove at one of my Leica lenses (maybe the 2/50) the F-mount and replace it with the Pentax bayonet. The rest of the conversion is already done at the moment.

Will post here in this thread some samples. Stay tuned ! Smile

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using these "cheap" Pentax Chinese mounts. No problem at all with any of my lenses. Even the APO-Macro-Elmarit 2.8/100 with 10 screws is possible to convert. Machining quality is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment.

I use for the Leica to Nikon conversion Chinese bayonets too. Normally it is not the question of material etc - the question is what is with tolerances ?

But I must say that in the past I have had focus problems with the original Lxxxxx bayonets too. Sometimes front focus, sometimes back focus when the focus indicator lamp is on.

With Live view it is at all no problem, but I do not use LV very often.

I´m a little bit unsure due to the price ranges for the Pentax bayonets. At the Nikon side the prices are more or less all the same from Chinese sellers but with Pentax there is a price range from more than 100 % as said in my first post.

Ok, I will see when the first sample will arrive.

Thanks again.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
But I must say that in the past I have had focus problems with the original Lxxxxx bayonets too. Sometimes front focus, sometimes back focus when the focus indicator lamp is on.

What Leitax mounts are these? Naturally, a Pentax K bayonet does nothing with the focusing distances. If the camera thinks that the picture is sharp it will indicate so. A focusing error is caused by the body, not the Leitax adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Rolf wrote:

What Leitax mounts are these? Naturally, a Pentax K bayonet does nothing with the focusing distances. If the camera thinks that the picture is sharp it will indicate so. A focusing error is caused by the body, not the Leitax adapter.

Thanks Peter for your input. I will think about this. But one question. At the moment I think it is the same problem with AF lenses. Focus seems to be ok but the image is unsharp. Normally a problem of the lens or both parts -lens and body. A problem where Canon user can tell a lot.

i have had a strong back focus with a Chinese adapter, changing the bayonet to a Leitax I had a front focus. The differences in the register distance between Leica and Nikon/Pentax will be handle by the bayonet/adapter.

If there is something wrong you will have problems with infinity and - thats my thinking at the moment - unsharp images even the focus lamp in the cam is on. But it could be that I am wrong with my view of point.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Peter is right. I can't see how plain mechanical (i.e. unchipped) adapters / mounts can be blamed for focus confirmation inaccuracies, it's all about the good or bad performance of the focus confirmation system inside the camera body.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
If there is something wrong you will have problems with infinity and - thats my thinking at the moment - unsharp images even the focus lamp in the cam is on. But it could be that I am wrong with my view of point

AF adapter and bodies can calibrate the AF to make the focus led more precise
if the adapter is too fat you cannot reach infinite but it have nothing to do with precision of the AF led (except at infinite)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf (and others of course),

First: it does not matter if there is a flanged adapter or not. Infinity focusing issues are only an issue at infinity, not at closer focusing distances. The AF subsystem still uses a part of the image to determine if a picture is sharp or not (phase detect AF).

If there's a discrepancy between the phase detect AF and what you see in the viewfinder then there's an interesting thing to think about. With chipped adapters I have the idea that the camera thinks that there's a certain AF lens on the camera (even if it's a manual lens). Now there could occur an interesting phenomenon. It's known that AF systems issue minimal focusing adjustments based on the characteristics of certain lenses. Have you ever thought about the fact that the wide open focus plane is not the focus plane anymore when a lens is stopped down? This is called focus shift (see here for an explanation: http://diglloyd.com/articles/Focus/FocusShift.html). The lens may be focused right when it's wide open, but stopped down the focus plane is somewhere else). What if the camera thinks there's an EF 50/1.2 lens on the camera which requires AF adjustment after being stopped down? This makes focusing certainly a very complex procedure.

Another problem is when there's a difference between the flange - AF sensor and flange - ground glass screen distances. But let's just assume the camera is calibrated well.

(IMHO Live View focusing is the best for us MF shooters, because focusing can be done when the lens is stopped down. And in this case what you see is what you get...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue can be, that different lenses have different longitudinal aberrations at different wavelengths and phase shift sensors can react to them in different ways. It's the same issue like, front/back focus AF problems with some type of artificial lights.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few weeks ago I made the following test.

D700 & Leica 2/50 (wide open) & Leitax bayonet & tripod, focus manuell with cam focus indicator lamp, no chip = front focus approx 15-20 cm.

Changed the bayonet from Leitax to cheap Chinese, same test, nothing changed = back focus approx. 50 cm

Therefore I tought that the reason for this must be with manufacturing tolerances of the bayonet.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that your D700 is defective. What subject distances are we talking about? A backfocus op 50cm is a lot if your subject is at 1m Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I'd say that your D700 is defective. What subject distances are we talking about? A backfocus op 50cm is a lot if your subject is at 1m Wink

distance was perhaps 3 meters, maybe 5 meters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Few weeks ago I made the following test.

D700 & Leica 2/50 (wide open) & Leitax bayonet & tripod, focus manuell with cam focus indicator lamp, no chip = front focus approx 15-20 cm.

Changed the bayonet from Leitax to cheap Chinese, same test, nothing changed = back focus approx. 50 cm

Therefore I tought that the reason for this must be with manufacturing tolerances of the bayonet.

Wink

I tend to agree with Spotmatic's observation, since it is hard to understand
Rolf's distance discrepancies among mount replacements. I did my own
test with 0.5, 1, 1,5 and 3m distance, and my Summicron-R 50/2 with
a Leitax made mount is almost bung on, ie, lens' distance marker is
where I aimed +/- few centimeters. I normally does not relayed on Focus-
confirmation dot (nikon's case), but this time I used it too. I don't know what
went wrong exactly. I have two other Leica-R lens with cheap chinese mount
replacements, I did not notice front or back focus problem.