Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bockscar: Salt Lake City to Nagasaki
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Bockscar: Salt Lake City to Nagasaki Reply with quote

I posted 2 abstracts in other thread, captured during Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH.

Bockscar was B-29 plane which carried and dropped the Atomic bomb (Little Boy) at Nagasaki at the end of WW-II. Dayton museum has Bockscar plane and one of the original bomb manufactured/developed with Little Boy. This is exactly same bomb,

Little Boy, Captured with Oly 50mm f1.4

Bock's car B-29

Captured with Oly 50mm f1.4

From Salt Lake City to Nagasaki

With Zenitar 16mm f2.8

Captured with Oly 50mm f1.4

Captured with Leica 35mm f2.8

Some other captures from the same visit to Air force museum, Dayton, OH.

You can browse full resolution captures by clicking the pics

Icarus, captured with Oly 50mm f1.4

Trainer plane for the WWII Japanese plane called a "Cherry Blossom"; It was a rocket powered kamikaze plane.
Captured with Zenitar 16mm f2.8

P-61C BLACK WIDOW, captured with Oly 50mm f1.4

OA-10 CATALINA,

Captured with Leica 35mm f2.8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bockscar: Salt Lake City to Nagasaki Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

From Salt Lake City to Nagasaki

this is horrendously

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bockscar: Salt Lake City to Nagasaki Reply with quote

onelazyday wrote:

this is horrendously

Yes.. but historical....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice set, Ballu.
That atomic bomb scares the hell out of me even just by looking at it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bockscar: Salt Lake City to Nagasaki Reply with quote

onelazyday wrote:
this is horrendously

I second that, but nice captures anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures - and a not so nice story. I'd heard of Enola Gay but not of this one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Very nice set, Ballu.
That atomic bomb scares the hell out of me even just by looking at....[/URL]

Thanks Orio... Yes, standing near the plane and bomb really scared me and difficult to stop thinking about the pilots who were part of mission...

@ Carlsson: Thanks.. I considered the plane as one of the few machine which changed our thinking towards war, inter-countries relations, vision towards humanity....

@sichko: Thanks.... Enola Gay (which dropped bomb on Hiroshima) is in DC (Smithsoniums). DC museum is more focussed on tourists, so more about Space and a show case of country pride...
Dayton museum is real place for aviation fans, can think this as what Louvre for art, with out any tourists... tripod is allowed, photography is fun.. not another zoo...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOTALLY interesting. Thank you for showing these. As Orio says, this is history. Not "good" history, but still a learning experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea they were there, so thanks. The Catalina is the one that I lovev - it was a great seaplane that helped end the U-boat threat and played a significant role in the Pacific theatre.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this is horrendously

Absolutely! Looks like a suitable logo for the "Bovine University" in an older Simpsons episode. But what is it, really? Obscene country kitsch with a mass murder background, or the gallows humour or the soldiers?

Well, interesting captures anyway!

Greetings
Benedikt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
Quote:
this is horrendously

Absolutely! Looks like a suitable logo for the "Bovine University" in an older Simpsons episode. But what is it, really? Obscene country kitsch with a mass murder background, or the gallows humour or the soldiers?

Well, interesting captures anyway!

Greetings
Benedikt

Hi Benedikt, the name "Bockscar" is a play on words which might not be obvious to everyone. The usual pilot of this plane was named Bock, so it should correctly be written as "Bock's Car", but that sounds just like Boxcar (a kind of railway truck) so they joined the words together as an amusing pun. I don't think he flew it on the Nagasaki raid.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see Smile

But I meant the graphics and the typo more than the word itself. I mistook it for the name of a place at the first look.

I referred to this 50s-farm-comic-style graphics with the winged train carriage and the Nagasaki "boom"-scenario.

Greetings
Benedikt