Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Travels in Zimbabwe with a Nikon, 1987
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Travels in Zimbabwe with a Nikon, 1987 Reply with quote

In an honor of the passing of Kodachrome, I've scanned some slides of my first trip to Zim. Bear with me, I'm just learning how to scan! All frames taken with Nikon F2 and Kodachrome 64.

Ship's captain, Lake Kariba, Nikkor-S 35mm f2.8

Waterfall near Skeleton Pass, Chimanimani, on Zim-Mozambique border, Nikkor 20mm f4

The Drakensburg, South Africa, Nikkor-S 35mm f2.8

Ruins of the Great Zimbabwe, Nikkor 20mm f4

Boy at Beitbridge crossing, Nikkor 85mm f1.8

Victoria Falls, Nikkor 20mm f4

House boat Sun God on Lake Kariba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell us there is more you can publish? Because already these were a pictorial journey of special kind, not to forget the pleasing tones. How beautiful they look, I wish HDR and over-saturated images never existed.

Vilhelm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done! Reminds me of my travels to Zimbabwe some 15y ago when we were negotiating
and finally constructing their new airport in Harare. Too bad what happened to that wonderful country...

(c) wikipedia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are absolutely amazing images!
Thanks a lot for showing them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful in every sense, gorgeous color and shimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to all comments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very well done! Reminds me of my travels to Zimbabwe some 15y ago when we were negotiating
and finally constructing their new airport in Harare. Too bad what happened to that wonderful country...

I just have done some research. It's really terrible.
Let's hope things will change again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, let me remind you that this section is not the place for political comments. There is the Dive Bar for that. Thank you for your understanding.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Those are absolutely amazing images!
Thanks a lot for showing them.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the rainbow.. and the colours and scenes are so evocative of a country with great natural beauty, marred by considerable political ugliness...

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodachrome is a pain to scan (I know, I have loads and have tried!), and these examples are pretty good to my eyes. Some fabulous images there, thank you for sharing them.

K.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to reiterate my invitation to refrain from political comments, I see.

Everyone has their opinion on the politics of Zimbabwe. And opinions differ. If we keep on commenting here (which is breaking the rule), people with a different opinion are left with the choice of either break the rule too and reply, or not break the rule and accept that only one opinion is voiced. And this is not fair.

If you are eager to talk about politics of Zimbabwe, please open a thread in the Dive Bar.

If another political comment is posted in this thread, I will lock it, without further warning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Guys, let me remind you that this section is not the place for political comments. There is the Dive Bar for that. Thank you for your understanding.

Sorry, Orio, you're right. I didn't mean to make a political comment just an utterance of regret. However, I should not have done that here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the nice comments -- I didn't mean to start a ruckus. I've got a couple thousand slides from trips to Zim, South Africa and Malawi -- a lot to look through, and I hate to say my filing system wasn't the best!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Thank you all for the nice comments -- I didn't mean to start a ruckus. I've got a couple thousand slides from trips to Zim, South Africa and Malawi -- a lot to look through, and I hate to say my filing system wasn't the best!

It would be fantastic to see more of your excellent shots!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
gaeger wrote:

+10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
gaeger wrote:

+10

+11, superb series!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Here are few more, including some from South Africa on the same trip.

Children on Ant Manning's farm in Zimbabwe. Nikkor 200mm f4.

Zebra in Hwange National Park. Nikkor 200mm f4.

Dead trees in Lake Kariba. Nikkor 20mm.

Waterfall in Chimanimani. Nikkor-S 35mm.

Royal Natal National Park, South Africa. We met these fellow hikers on a mountain path; they had stopped for lunch. Nikkor-S 35mm.

Hiking in the Drakensberg, South Africa. Nikkor 20mm.

Sheep shearing time at the Sephtons' farm, Eastern Cape, South Africa.

And finally, my wife, Lindsay, on the beach in Llandudno, South Africa.

OK, that's plenty (probably more than that)!

Last edited by gaeger on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even plenty of great images cannot be too many! Smile

Amazing pictures again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one has amazing light.

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful scenery with beautiful film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots of a beautiful place. I particularly like the shot through the waterfall with the rainbow in the bottom (thought I would make the falling water vertical), it's a view that challenges the mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Even plenty of great images cannot be too many! Smile

Amazing pictures again!

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like Ship's captain, Victoria falls and the lovely picture at Lake Kariba Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some amazing shots, gaeger. It makes me get all moody again about the passing of Kodachrome, knowing that my Kodachrome archive is now bounded and will never increase in size.

I especially like the darker images, dunno why. Maybe it's my mood. Thanks also for including info on the lenses you used. I appreciate this sort of data.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbe serie and fantastic colors, i never used this film. Pic 2 is a dream ! nice share Very Happy