Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar Serial Numbers?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Industar Serial Numbers? Reply with quote

I know with Helios 44 and 44-2, a 0 in front means its for a factory leader, 00 is for politics and 000 is for prototypes. I've been looking at the Industar-26m, and I was wondering if there were any particular serial numbers worth keeping an eye out for?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two digit is year, look close for ww2 much as possible, find Red Army Smile as I do.

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-red-army-t34229.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
First two digit is year, look close for ww2 much as possible, find Red Army Smile as I do.

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-red-army-t34229.html

thanks for the tip Attila Smile
I found a couple of Red Army versions, at this point i'm just trying to figure out which one i should get. the serial numbers on them are:
1) No 04XXXX
2) No 45XXXX
3) No 20XXXX
4) No 24XXXX

They all seem to have clear glass from the pictures in the auctions. I also happened across this odd serial number, but it's way out of my price range.

No 654

http://cgi.ebay.com/INDUSTAR-26m-m39-Leica-mount-lens-serial-654-EX-/370463786680?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56415cc6b8

another question for the collective MFLenses: most of these have red or green over the screws on the lens mount. Is this something that they normally did for these lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen such a strange serials , so I can't help. I saw and bought with normal serial numbers where first two digits looks years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number system really only works for KMZ make lenses post 1955. The industar 26m was not made by KMZ.

Don't worry about serial numbers! They don't matter.

Sometimes I regret ever making that original post...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
The serial number system really only works for KMZ make lenses post 1955. The industar 26m was not made by KMZ.

Don't worry about serial numbers! They don't matter.

Sometimes I regret ever making that original post...

Good to know the serial numbers don't matter for this one!

and why would you regret making that post? it's been very helpful. or at the very least, interesting. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeros at the start of KMZ lenses means only that it was an early run and not a special lens reserved for anyone.

It's an internet myth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Zeros at the start of KMZ lenses means only that it was an early run and not a special lens reserved for anyone.

It's an internet myth.

oh. well, you learn something new every day! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I've got another question. Is there a difference between the versions with the knob-thing attached to the focus ring and the ones that don't have it? or does it really not make a difference? thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions are good, it's how we all learn.

I'm not sure what knob thing you're talking about though?

The thing with the Russian lenses is they can often be made with left-over parts so you will come across oddities. I have the 26m so if you post a pic I can tell you if it's like mine. As mentioned it's not KMZ made.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little knob to the left. i've seen it on a bunch of rangefinder lenses, but i noticed that some copies have it, some dont. just wondering if it serves a purpose, or if that means it's older or something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think newer editions not have it. On older ones idea did come from collapsible lenses. I like it better , than without that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think newer editions not have it. On older ones idea did come from collapsible lenses. I like it better , than without that.

I like the way it looks, i was just making sure it didn't make a difference. Smile

Last edited by gearsNcogs on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this might be a foolish question, and this sort of goes beyond just the I-26m. how do i know if the M39 lens can be mounted on a Canon EOS body? i've been searching for it, and i've been able to find out (someone please correct me if i'm wrong) that rangefinder lenses will not work on SLRs because they have a much shorter (i believe Leica's LTM is 28.8mm) register, but there are some SLR lenses that happen to have a M39x1 mount, and those CAN be used on DSLR bodies.

How do i know which is which? and how should i go about searching out these lenses?

Last edited by gearsNcogs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a rangefinder lens, it can be mounted but will not reach infinity. More like a few feet. If it's an SLR lens it will be ok.

The I26 will of course be a rangefinder lens so only good for macro. There are 2 versions of the I61 and J9 so you have to be careful which one you get. Or of course buy an LTM rangefinder! Wink

If you see a lens you like, post a question here and someone will tell you what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On EOS you cannot mount RF lenses.
There are SLR lenses made on m39 - for Zenit S SLR(45.2mm register distance).

There is an mir 1, industar 50, helios 44-2 ,helios 40 , jupiter 9 and also tair 11 if i remember correctly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
If it's a rangefinder lens, it can be mounted but will not reach infinity. More like a few feet. If it's an SLR lens it will be ok.

The I26 will of course be a rangefinder lens so only good for macro. There are 2 versions of the I61 and J9 so you have to be careful which one you get. Or of course buy an LTM rangefinder! Wink

If you see a lens you like, post a question here and someone will tell you what it is.

Thanks for all the advice. I might end up getting that lens afterall and just messing around with it as a macro.

I've been looking into an FED 2, at this point its more of a "if i open pandora's box, i'm not going to be able to close it" sort of deal. my LBA will be ridiculous! Razz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. I might end up getting that lens afterall and just messing around with it as a macro.

I've been looking into an FED 2, at this point its more of a "if i open pandora's box, i'm not going to be able to close it" sort of deal. my LBA will be ridiculous! Razz

std wrote:
There is an mir 1, industar 50, helios 44-2, helios 40, jupiter 9 and also tair 11 if i remember correctly

awesome. i'll keep an eye out for those. hopefully they'll be a bit cheaper than their M42 counterparts Wink