Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soft Focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Soft Focus Reply with quote

I've been reading this article by our friend and I'm interested in making something like it.

I'm nor sure what "Fixing the front cell focus at 1m" means. Is this some setting on the lens or does this mean lens surgery?

Are there any old folder lenses out there which are particularly good for this project?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there are other real soft focus lenses also, use the search engine here and you'll find some entries!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the search for soft focus brings up 4717 entries, most of which are irrelevant except for one that leads here. Laughing

I'm looking more for a cheap project rather than to spend a fortune on a lens which has limited uses. And also what is meant by "Fixing the front cell focus at 1m".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a recollection of the article you are asking about... You know folding cameras, how you focus most of them: turn the front element (front cell).... the instruction is to focus the lens to approx 1m and then to compensate for this by adjusting the bellows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I have a recollection of the article you are asking about... You know folding cameras, how you focus most of them: turn the front element (front cell).... the instruction is to focus the lens to approx 1m and then to compensate for this by adjusting the bellows.

Ok, that's simple, I can understand that. Much obliged!

No I didn't know how to focus folders. My photographic knowledge is less than 3 years old since I began this hobby (read: addiction) in May 2007.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Stockings ;) Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I'm looking more for a cheap project rather than to spend a fortune on a lens which has limited uses.

Buy some tights (stocking? I don't know exact names of women lingeries Wink ) without much colour and put it on your normal lens - effect will be much softer than from normal lens, and this technique was known years ago Smile

It's cheap and it's working Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've heard of that technique. I'm really looking at making something permanent though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a meniscus lens, built into an empty enlarger lens barrel plus a helicoid, so now I have a nice f4.5/120mm adjustable softness soft focus lens. Works pretty well.

I like the "real stuff", no soft focus filters or vaseline or scratched front elements etc. to be honest. Nothing gives the glow a real soft focus lens has IMHO.

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the VPK lens out but run out of time so I'll try when I get more of a chance to figure out how to get something semi permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softar filters are the next best thing to a dedicated soft focus lens. They are pricey and do not work on all lenses though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reviving an old topic Reply with quote

Some ways to get a soft-focus lens:

* Get a lens that is filled with fungus. Darn, I already threw some away.
* I already sold (for parts) my Vivitar 24/2 with rear element separation and the iris stuck wide open. It was pretty damn soft.
* Put a magnifier lens or a meniscus from a trashed box camera onto a bellows.
* There is the old smear-sweat-onto-the rear-element trick. Sweat= nose grease. Never wipe it off, and it becomes permanent.
* Use sandpaper on the objective. If you have no lens you wish to sacrifice, get a wrecked Polaroid Swinger or equivalent from a thrift shop, extract the lens, mount it in a body cap (to put onto bellows) and sandpaper it.
* Almost anything around f/1.0 will be soft.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read an article in an old Pop Photo - I mean, from like 1941 or something - about how to use a telephoto attachment to make yourself a soft focus lens. The process has 3 ingredients: 1. your main lens wide open, 2. an aperture with teardrop shape cut outs plus a center hole made out of craft paper between your main lens and 3. the telephoto aux lens.

This makes a lot of sense to me - remembering how an auxiliary lens works to 'improve' bokeh due to its throwing off all those sharpness calculations... and the paper aperture letting through random edge aberrations... and your main lens wide open at its softest.

I have a Yashica GSN aux lens set, and plan to try this out soon with whatever SLR lens I have with the right thread size. Oh, and I have to find the aux lens set, couldn't lay my hands on it last night Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick gargle reveals many possibilities, and reminds me of the cheap fast Sima 100/2 soft-focus lens. Some of the other gargled links point to pages describing LF lenses built for soft focus, how it's done. I should gargle more often.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since starting this thread I've dabbled on and off with this technique. I hate it so far for portraits as it just looks like mis-focusing. Flowers in spring/summer time look good as does some architecture.

I have the VPK lens on a helicoid which is pretty good, as well as a Canon EF 135 Sof Focus lens. I actually prefer the VPK lens for its character; even if it is hard to focus.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What again is a "VPK" lens??

Got a GRAF 4.5/75mm soft focus cine lens, ca 1930 I would guess.

SF always needs strong contrast and/or some edges in the object(s) to make that "glow" appear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VPK= Vest Pocket Kodak.

It's a really old, small folder.