Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Give Contax Distagon T* 35/2.8 a try
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Give Contax Distagon T* 35/2.8 a try Reply with quote

I decided to try a Contax Distagon T* 35/2.8 (MM), despite of it's average performer judgement from many reviews on the net. The lens is coming my way.

So far I couldn't find any review about the lens on this forum. Would somebody share their experiences?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not at all an average performer. It is better in corner performance and colour rendition than the Flek 2.4/35 that so many rave about - and given the absurd raise in price of the Flektogon 2.4/35, it is now also cheaper in many cases.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good lens also available as Rollei Color-Skoparex 2.8/35 .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great performer, and as mentioned already, has MUCH better corner performance than the Flek, although without the close focus ability. Photos taken with this lens tend to have a nice 3D element too, much like that of the DIstagon 28/2.8. I just find I don't particuarly like the focal length on full frame and tend to use the 28mm version instead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, great lens! One of my favs.
I like it`s sharpness, contrast and 3D look.

Here are some samples:

http://forum.mflenses.com/impressons-from-frysland-netherlands-t29281.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/back-to-austria-t30909.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/locomotive-museum-and-steam-train-t29466.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/zeissy-spring-pictures-t27555.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/sunandsnow-t24648.html

Timo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Distagon 35 simply because it was at an irresistibly stupid price. Cosmetically, it's seen a bit of use, but no abuse ; optically and mechanically, it's perfect. I was surprised to find after a few weeks that it had displaced the D28 as my favourite wide. The D35 has a very pleasing perspective, which I now prefer to the 50 or 28. It's every inch in every way a Zeiss.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken two days ago in Berlin with this lens:

Bode Museum by pictorlucis, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a distortion of >1% so it's very good for architecture photos ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kopimorning

I think I will take your advise soon and get one of these, I have the D35/1.4 already, but I might as well "beef up" my Contax collection,
and I always hear good things of this lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morfeus wrote:
Taken two days ago in Berlin with this lens:

Bode Museum by pictorlucis, on Flickr

Hi, Morfeus.

Welcome. I see we had a very similar idea for our Flickr nicks. Wink
Enjoy your stay here!

Carsten

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carsten,

yes, I had an old flickr account with too much non photography related stuff. When searching for a nick for the second account all nicks that I liked where taken, so I did some research Smile . Thanks for the welcome, by the way.

To stay on topic, another shot with the Distagon 35mm. PP is LR style old pola, other than that very little PP.

Alte Nationalgalerie, Berlin by pictorlucis, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it could also be Luce Pictor (Painter with the light) Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your generosity in sharing experiences and honest opinions about this lens. I'd like to thank to the beautiful pics as well.

Meanwhile, I can't wait for the leitax mount replacement in 8-10 days to come Sad

Here's the lens, pristine condition

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you got the original hood too! It's worth about $50 at least, I think. I have to use Sigma 50/2.8 hood in mine, that is almost blasphemy .. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Oh, you got the original hood too! It's worth about $50 at least, I think. I have to use Sigma 50/2.8 hood in mine, that is almost blasphemy .. Smile

me also, never see a Dis35 with a hood in my entire life before Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, I replace my Flektogon 35 2.4 (which is new)
I find the image very weak at the edges, and for my job is fatal.
In a vertical frame, the face is out of focus.

Apart from this lens, what Distagon is better?
Thanks & greetings Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franco, I have a Distagon 2.8/35 for sale. It is the one that I used for the blind test comparison with the Flek 35 here, and it proved to be better in edge performance and colour rendition. Since you already reserved my Sonnar 180, you might want to consider adding the Distagon within the same package.

You ask which Distagon is better... hard question as it related to what you expect from it. For low light photography and short DOF effects, the 2/28 and 1.4/35 are surely some of the best wide lenses you can find anywhere. But for your application, where you need best quality all over the frame, the 2.8/28 and 2.8/35 are better choices, as they offer better planarity, whereas the fast Distagons have a quite visible curvature of field (which is part of their "3D" charm indeed, but you don't want it when you need perfect centre-edges equality).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Franco, I have a Distagon 2.8/35 for sale. It is the one that I used for the blind test comparison with the Flek 35 here, and it proved to be better in edge performance and colour rendition. Since you already reserved my Sonnar 180, you might want to consider adding the Distagon within the same package.

You ask which Distagon is better... hard question as it related to what you expect from it. For low light photography and short DOF effects, the 2/28 and 1.4/35 are surely some of the best wide lenses you can find anywhere. But for your application, where you need best quality all over the frame, the 2.8/28 and 2.8/35 are better choices, as they offer better planarity, whereas the fast Distagons have a quite visible curvature of field (which is part of their "3D" charm indeed, but you don't want it when you need perfect centre-edges equality).

Where you can see that comparison?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35/2.8
it's a sharp len!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krell wrote:
35/2.8
it's a sharp len!

welcome krell
have a nice stay with us