Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing paint loss on lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Fixing paint loss on lenses Reply with quote

Is there a good of method of restoring the paint wear on our beloved lenses?
What type of paint? How would you apply the paint?

Please share your experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That very much depends on the lens. Black painted brass can be painted with enamel paints (Revell model makers paints being the most suitable tiny quantities). Beyond that, YMMV - most industrial coating processes used in the past thirty years cannot really be patched up or re-done in small scale, so the best you can go for is to paint it to look as much like the original as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is by use of felt pens that are specifically made for this purpose and are sold by some photo accessories stores.
However from what I read the result is never as perfect as an original.
The good side is that the paint does not take the photo, the glass does Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The best way is by use of felt pens that are specifically made for this purpose and are sold by some photo accessories stores.

I doubt I can find this in a local store.
Anybody seen one in online stores? I am not sure how to search for it...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them once, but I can not remember the store.
If you can't find them online, try at a hardware store. They usually have those that write on metal. Those should be the same or similar than the photographic ones. Try first on a cheap lens and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint Sticks -- Micro-Tools has some. Also art supply stores, and auto stores have touch-up lacquers, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micro-Tools, that's where I saw them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Paint Sticks -- Micro-Tools has some. Also art supply stores, and auto stores have touch-up lacquers, etc.

Thank you!

I know this store. This is where I used to buy Eclipse cleaning fluid from.
However, I had no need to clean the 5DII during the 2 years I have it.
5D I was a kind of dust attractor Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US Birchwood Casey Touch Up Pens are available online.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=Birchwood+Casey+Touch+Up+Pen+&x=17&y=19

ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=Birchwood+Casey+Touch+Up+Pen+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint sticks are for replacing the painted, recessed numbers such as
aperture & focusing scales, etc. They're called "Lacquer Stik" and they
work well once you get the hang of using them. They come in various
colors. They're also good for replacing worn out embossed lettering on
cameras such as on name plates, etc.

In my experience replacing worn paint on smooth areas like lens barrels
usually ends up looking worse than it was before unless you stick to only
touching up very small areas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For small touch ups of cameras and lenses I've used various indelible ink sharpies and indelible ink markers detailing the scratches or brassing...one coat at a time,let dry,repeat as necessary.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=sharpie+black+marker&_sacat=See-All-Categories

In extreme case for deeper scratches or name engraving(ie Los Angeles Times) I've used survey paint markers...one coat at a time,let dry for 24 hours,repeat as necessary til the engraving or scratch is filled.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Survey/Field_Writing%2CMarking/Permanent_Black_Marker/20-380-00007

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch-up black pen is great, but if somebody came up with a pen that can make glass cleaning marks go away that would be priceless. It's a shame to see how the value of a lens drops by a third as soon as there is a slightest mark on the glass.