Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help me choose
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Please help me choose Reply with quote

I need to choose one of the two following photos for my Lake Como series.
I can not keep both because they are too similar, but I can not decide which one to choose.
Please choose one, left or right:

_

(both taken with Distagon 1.4/35)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Better light on center part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.
The second one. The 2 central buildings/houses are better exposed.
Just tell me it wasn't hand held.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I agree.
The second one. The 2 central buildings/houses are better exposed.
Just tell me it wasn't hand held.

It was handheld. He has a witness...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the hill left side, in right photo the highlights look like unnatural flare; I wasn't there, maybe that is how it looks.
Can more dark detail be recovered from left photo original?
But the water. On right I see S-curving from foreground to extreme background, not in left side photo, that wave lower right helps lead the eye.

Must keep only one?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sorin: yes, handheld, f/1.4, ISO 1600, 1/250 shutter time the left one, 1/200 shutter time the right one.

@visualopsins: doesn't it suck when you need to necessarily choose one? Mad Yeah, I need to make a choice, it would look redundant in the series to keep both.
I'm not sure to understand the flare part Question

Aside from the small shutter speed difference, there is another difference between the images:
in the right image, I slightly stretched the highlights to the right of the histogram
(which created the "better central light" impression that Attila and Sorin noticed).
The left image is "as nature created", or maybe better said, "as camera recorded".

Thanks for the comments, they are very interesting, and it's very instructive to read which things others would choose your image upon!
_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep your choices coming!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep both. To choose one for use is another matter. I have learned my tastes and selection abilities change with time, improve hopefully Laughing, my selections change too, maybe I discover a missed winner or perfect photo for current project, sometimes by accident, among archive, or someone I don't know yet sees something I didn't. I also like sometimes to see all photos made during a time, imagination takes me there again with my memories of the time and, I get to review all the mistakes I made Laughing, get reminders for improvements, go nostalgic, whatever, it is fun sometimes in stead of tv to watch archive slide shows.

Embarassed, I meant comas not flares. The lights here have coma look similar to stars edge of star field photo. 100% I can't see if coma or maybe camera shake effects.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Embarassed, I meant comas not flares. The lights here have coma look similar to stars edge of star field photo. 100% I can't see if coma or maybe camera shake effects.

Ah, ok, I understand what you mean. I'm not at optician expert, but I would say that it's mostly astigmatism. With perhaps a little hint of coma when it's very near the edges.
I'd say astigmatism because it shows the typical astigmatic symmetrical opposed lines which are very sharp. Coma instead looks like a single spread and fuzzy tail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the second one better, the snowcapped peaks are brighter as are
the lights.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the right

patrickh

Light looks more natural

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right one... that third of shutter is very important to me. Also less sky is my reason.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light on the second image is better, but in the same time composition in the first gives and equal part to each element, the famous 1/3 rule : ) if you can deal without it's fine.

I'd also like to see the shots in b&w version, maybe the decision would be easier and a new eye maybe. ah theories ^.^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1st one... a bit more. It has more a sense greatness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the proportions of #2 + the lighting tricks make it sell more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right because, for me, of a better eye traveling in the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left. There is too much water in the foreground of the one on the right. Water ceases to be interresting if there are no waves or fog or a boat to increase interest.
You might could go with the right one if you cropped about half the forewater out to add impact to the land features ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
The left. There is too much water in the foreground of the one on the right.

I think you have a point here.