Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Cassaron and Schneider Kreuznach tele xenar 135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Cassaron and Schneider Kreuznach tele xenar 135 Reply with quote

Well... I got these 2 old lenses and an old Chinon flash for 10 € + delivery costs (7€).

They are not mint, externally full of dust, but optics are clear, no fungus, no haze. Focus rings work well. But aperture rings are hard to operate and don't open fully. It seems that the A/M pins are disturbing the good functioning.

1- Schneider Kreuznach Edixa-Tele-Xenar 3.5/135
My first Schneider !
With what tool may I service the front ?

2- Steinheil München Edixa-Auto-Cassaron 2.8/50

What does Edixa mean ?
What do you think about these lenses ? Any experiments ?

Last edited by Olivier on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edixa was made by Wirgin Kamera works,not the best made,they didnt make any lens,they brought them from other len makers,Steinheil cassaron was soso,stop down pretty good,Schneider lens top of the line

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edixa was the SLR brand of Adox. West German, but no better than the Praktica in design and production quality - at times indeed worse.

The lenses are somewhat basic, ok for their (slow speed) but by no means the top performer of their type. And they doubtlessly need a cleaning. It will be hard to disassemble the Tele-Xenar with a front ring which is that severely bent - you might have to dremel it apart, which means that you'd have to find another copy with bad or missing glass but good barrel, to put it into.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Edixa was the SLR brand of Adox...

Not quite:

http://www.kl-riess.dk/gewir.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Rikenon lens that was damaged as bad as that on the filter thread and I stuck the whole lens in a lathe and turned the damaged part off back to a decent thread so I could screw the name ring out and clean the lens.

Then I used a scrap lens with a larger filter thread size, turned a section off that on the lathe, and fixed it on the front of the Rikenon lens I wanted to salvage with epoxy resin.

Sadly, after all that effort, the lens was crap anyway! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Sevo wrote:
Edixa was the SLR brand of Adox...

Not quite:

http://www.kl-riess.dk/gewir.html

Many thanks - a fascinating story.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The filter ring on the Xenar could be fixed with a chopstick: put the lens on a wooden support and, using an hammer VERY GENTLY, hit with the chopstick the inner side of the filter ring ... It will take some time to get fixed, but it can be done.

Otherwise, you can use something like this dent remover ...

For what concerns the IQ of the lenses, i have never used one of them, but my two Steinheil Edixa-Quinar 135/2.8 and 135/3.5 are incredibly sharp even wide open and, if i remember well, there has been a forum user who published some great pics taken with a Tele-Xenar 135/3.5 here ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
The filter ring on the Xenar could be fixed with a chopstick: put the lens on a wooden support and, using an hammer VERY GENTLY, hit with the chopstick the inner side of the filter ring ... It will take some time to get fixed, but it can be done.

Thank you, Dino. Smile

In french, could you translate chopstick ?

The Schneider Kreuznach is sharp.
Weather is not good but I made few quick test shots...

I think that Alessandro took some very good shots with the Tele-Xenar.
Is the Edixa one the same optical design ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Thank you, Dino. Smile

Ouaip, chopstick = baguette chinoise (de préférence, celles en bambou plutôt que celles en plastique) ...

Olivier wrote:

I think so, if i remember well, but i'm not a Schneider lenses guru ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, same lens, Edixa is just the name of a camera, like if Zeiss did write "Rolleiflex" on the lenses they made for the Rollei system.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There's one little complication with respect to automatic lenses made specifically for the Edixa cameras. While they're normal M42 screw mount, the location of the auto-aperture pin is sometimes different from the "standard" placement. On my one Edixa-specific lens, a Steinheil 135mm, the pin is further "inboard" than it is on, say, a CZJ or Takumar lens.

In practice, this seems not to be a terribly big issue with respect to M42 film cameras, because the bar that depresses the pin is typically large enough to accommodate the slightly non-standard pin placement. And, of course, use on a DSLR is not an issue either, as long as the lens has an A/M switch. But if you're using a flanged adapter to depress the auto pin of a lens that lacks an A/M switch, you may find (as I did) that the flange just misses the pin.

A little thing, as I said, and likely not an issue in this case, since your Cassaron seems to have an A/M switch. But it's something to be aware of, in the event that you come across other automatic "Edixa" lenses.

Enjoy the lenses! (Looking forward to samples.)

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinheil and Schneider are big names in German lens manufacturing!!
Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Thank you, Dino. Smile

Ouaip, chopstick = baguette chinoise (de préférence, celles en bambou plutôt que celles en plastique) ...

Olivier wrote:

I think so, if i remember well, but i'm not a Schneider lenses guru ...

I'm not a schneider guru, but I know that in the schneider history there were two versions of the 135/3,5 lens. The first, with 4/4 scheme and the second with 5/4 one. I shall look for the bibliography (in paper and/or the net) top complete the info.
The first of all I shall said that your scneider is a lens made from october 1967 and november 1968.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...I find one official advertice of edixa cams and lenses, made in 1968. They were showing the new (at the time) Edixa prismaflex mat D (as was known in Argentina). And the schneider lenses for it were atwo curtagons :4/28 and 2,8/35, a xenar 2,8/50, a xenon 1,9/50 and a tele xenar 3,5/135.

The 3,5/135 had a 5/4 (3-3) (2-1) scheme, and it's your lens. I don't know the schame of the Alessandro one.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le monde est petit Wink Je crois bien que j'ai oublié d'enchérir, et il semble me souvenir que ça vient de Marseille ? J'aurais comparé le Cassaron au Xenar.
Un lien de Peter Ganzel pour la réparation :
http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/diy_straightening_lens_filter_rings
(sorry)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rino for the Information,
and Dino for chopstick translation. Wink

Univer, you're absolutely right. The pins have more centered locations and the flange reach only half part of them.

Phenix, ce n'était pas une enchère et ça ne vient pas de Marseille.
Merci beaucoup pour le lien.
Very good link ! Smile
What do you mean when you say Cassaron = Xenar ? Is it as good as Xenar ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Embarassed

I opened the Tele-Xenar to try to fix the stuck diaph ring.
I didn't see clearly what's wrong. I'm wondering how to supress the A/M system and make the diaph fully manual, moving straightly with the ring.

The helicoid went out.
It's easy to put it back in place... but what is the right position ???

Thank you for kind help. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Well, Embarassed

I opened the Tele-Xenar to try to fix the stuck diaph ring.
I didn't see clearly what's wrong. I'm wondering how to supress the A/M system and make the diaph fully manual, moving straightly with the ring.

The helicoid went out.
It's easy to put it back in place... but what is the right position ???

Thank you for kind help. Very Happy

Is this any use ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arkku/612516644/in/set-72157600018767343/

I just stumbled across it and remembered this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Thank you Rino for the Information,
and Dino for chopstick translation. Wink

Univer, you're absolutely right. The pins have more centered locations and the flange reach only half part of them.

Phenix, ce n'était pas une enchère et ça ne vient pas de Marseille.
Merci beaucoup pour le lien.
Very good link ! Smile
What do you mean when you say Cassaron = Xenar ? Is it as good as Xenar ?

(Zeus ! J'étais sûr de les avoir sélectionné sur la vilbay et dans cet état en plus)
Precisely, I don't know as I haven't the Steinheil Cassaron ; But the Xenar is one of my favorite : Colors and bokeh are fantastic whatever the aperture is ;
I'm still in love with f1.2 lenses, but I'm wondering if my f2.8 lenses are not my favorite, now Wink
(an illustration - G1)