Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leicas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Leicas Reply with quote

I'm looking at adding some Leica lenses to the collection and will need to do conversions of the mounts with the Leitax adapters. Lenses I'd be on the look out for are one lens wider then 28mm, a 50mm and something around 90mm. What lenses fitting those focal lengths are worth getting and what kind of pricing would be in the fair price range. I'd be looking at lenses not in mint condition but good working order.
Thanks for your replies in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Leicas Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
I'm looking at adding some Leica lenses to the collection and will need to do conversions of the mounts with the Leitax adapters. Lenses I'd be on the look out for are one lens wider then 28mm, a 50mm and something around 90mm. What lenses fitting those focal lengths are worth getting and what kind of pricing would be in the fair price range. I'd be looking at lenses not in mint condition but good working order.
Thanks for your replies in advance.

You have to add approx. 100 € per lens for the original Leitax adapter.

If you are on budget not less money. In this range are "only" 3 or 4 lenses which will meet your (maybe financial) requirements.

Elmarit 2.8/35 which is (very) soft at the corners (< 200€)
Cron 2/50 which is a very fine lens (200-300 €)
Elmarit 2.8/90 which is fine too (200-300 €)

perhaps

Elmarit 2.8/135 wich is a very fine lens (<200 €)

or

Elmarit macro 2.8/60 as an alternative to the 2/50 (200-400 €)

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Leicas Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

You mean the first version?
Because I have the 3 cams version and it's anything but soft.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are opinions on the Elmarit 24mm f2.8? The budget isn't overly tight but as per usual I'd be looking at bang for buck. Thanks for both your opinions. It's giving me a decent indication on what I should be looking at.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
What are opinions on the Elmarit 24mm f2.8? The budget isn't overly tight but as per usual I'd be looking at bang for buck. Thanks for both your opinions. It's giving me a decent indication on what I should be looking at.

Most people seem to dislike the R 24/2.8.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
What are opinions on the Elmarit 24mm f2.8?

http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-elmarit-24-vs-tamron-t4955.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tamron 17-50 already lives here so it looks like the Elmarit 24 is off the wish list. Thanks for pointing me there poillu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leicas Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Rolf wrote:

You mean the first version?
Because I have the 3 cams version and it's anything but soft.

First calculation was from 1964-1974, then from 1973-1986 second calculation. During the second calculation 1. version from 1973-1979 up to serial # 29xxx. then 2. version until end of production.

My lens has serial # 2855xxxx, built 1977, so 2nd calcaulation - 1. version.
Don´t know if they changed the optical formular within the 2nd calculation.

Anyway my version is too soft and needs min. f:8 for acceptable results.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Summicron 2/35 was "soft" in the corners. But "soft" actually is the wrong word. It was curvature of field that was intensified by the digital sensor that made it appear soft.

My Elmarit 2.8/35 was not soft and the new version I could shoot with was not soft at all.

That's my experience.

The best buy as the "first" Leica would be a new version Summicron 2/50, perhaps the Canada version, because they are cheaper and by no means worse than the German one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions on the Summilix 50 f1.4 please, I notice the BIN price is shall we say expensive? What would be considered a fair price?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Opinions on the Summilix 50 f1.4 please, I notice the BIN price is shall we say expensive? What would be considered a fair price?

I was going to put mine on the marketplace because I never use it. Write me a PM if you are interested.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:

Which Summilux R 50/1.4? There are several.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be going for an older Summilux, budget considerations need to be made. Also we get hit with import duties for items over $1000 aud so short of buying locally the cost blows out a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Leicas Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

(...)If you are on budget not less money. In this range are "only" 3 or 4 lenses which will meet your (maybe financial) requirements.

Cron 2/50 which is a very fine lens (200-300 €)
Elmarit 2.8/90 which is fine too (200-300 €)

perhaps

Elmarit 2.8/135 wich is a very fine lens (<200 €)

or

Elmarit macro 2.8/60 as an alternative to the 2/50 (200-400 €)

I agree on this one. It's exactly how I built up my Leica collection.

I started with the Elmarit 35 (1st version), and even though it is not the sharpest lens wide open and it suffers from some wicked curvature, it renders portraits very nicely. It give a nice vintage touch to your pictures.

The Elmarit 90 is a nice one, but I don't use it very often: mostly I have a 50mm on my crop body and if that is too wide, I usually switch to a 135.

The Elmarit 135 is very good. Very nice signature and really sharp. It doesn't bite like Zeisses do, but lots of detail.

Summicron 50, I have the 1st and second version. First version does not impress me much yet, low contrast and misses liveliness. Second version is much much better.

The Summilux 50 is also quite ok. I have the first version, which may not be the best ever, but it does have a nice signature. Pictures made with it are easy to pick out. If you are looking for tack sharpness I think you must go for the later versions, but I like this one. It gives a 3D effect when you nail the focus.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Elmarit 2.8/19. Expensive but very, very good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay clear of the 21mm Super-Angulon-R. It simply can't even measure close to any modern wide. Lots of vignetting even stopped down to f/8. Troubled by CA and corners don't improve stopped down.

The Elmarit-R 28mm (f/2.Cool is a recommended lens, I like it much more than the Super-Angulon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

From my collection i have a few standout lenses.

I simply can't believe how much i use the 35-70/f4 ROM. It is the only zoom lens i own, but it is fantastic, that is if you don't mind the f4 limitation. Out of all my lenses this is on the camera much more than the others. They are at fantastic prices now, you can get a virtually brand new one landed in Aus for under $1,000.

I have a 28/2.8 which hardly gets used and a 16/2.8 which augments the 35-70 very well, and gets alot of use, it is a fisheye so on my crop sensor there is a fair amount of distortion, but i kind of like the distortion.

My elmarit 135/2.8 and Telyt 180/3.4 are also favourites.

I have just bought two more lenses from a local Aussie today, a 180/2.8 e67 and a 100/2.8 APO Very Happy

He has a cron 50/2 for sale, his lenses look immaculate, that is why i bit the bullet and got the APO...

You can also consider using adapters instead of changing to the leitax bayonet..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Steve, on the way is Summilux courtesy of Orio. That zoom does sound interesing. At the moment my existing 180s and 135s are getting little use so I'm not likely to hunt for those focal lengths. The Telyt 560 is another story, having seen samples posted here. Somehow I don't think PK -Leica R mount adapters exist, hence the Leitax path. There are some substantially cheaper knock offs on Ebay I've heard good reports on.
What's happened to this year's Italian bike concourse, are they holding it anywhere and if so have dates been decided.
Carsten, that 19mm Elmarit is something I'll have to keep a look out for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot you use Pentax Embarassed

Congrats on the lux 50, it is a focal length i don't have as a leica prime.

No news on the Festival of Italian Motorcycles yet, i'm still hopeful that it will happen again this year.

There are a couple of the 35-70/4's on eBay at the moment for sub $800 Aussie.

I forgot to mention if you can get one of the 60/2.8 Macro's you will love it, they are a fantastic lens, and for some reason you tend to see a few come up in less than perfect condition, so there could be some bargains to be had..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 35-70 f/4 worth all the effort? There seem to be a lot of more modern and faster alternatives. I was chatting with Vilhelm about this and i defer to his expertise as a working pro photographer; it was both our impression that there are a number of Leica R lenses that truly merit the extra expense and can be reckoned among the best Leica has ever turned out (28 Elmarit v.2, 90 APO, 100 makro APO, 180 Elmarit APO, 280 APO and maybe even the 85 Summilux and latest 19 Elmarit). The rest, it seems to me, are a mixed bag of fair to above-average optics.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: leica 35-70mm Reply with quote

i had the leica 35-70mm f/4 on my pentax k-x and it is one of the best lenses i ever used. very sharp from f/4 on and it has this 3d effect in my opinion. but i'm selling mine now, because it is not fast enough for the things i need it, but it is said that it's one of the best zooms lenses ever made after the leica 28-90 f/2.8-4.5, but this isn't affordable.
greeds asa14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent the weekend shooting my D700 with a 28 Elmarit R v.2 converted to Nikon mount. Traded in some of my little-used glass for a non-ROM version I came across in mint condition.

A revelation.

The Nikkor 24-70 @ 28mm is impressive, besting the 28/2 by a good margin. The Leica is astounding wide open well into the last millimeter at the corners where slight softness is apparent, disappearing by f/4. While it's close focus of 0.3 m is somewhat longer than, say the Nikkor 28/2.8, the Leica performs equally well on subjects near and at infinity.

The Nikkor 28 may be off to eBay....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics with the adapted Summilux 50. Only issue after the conversion is I can only focus to about 3 metres so will have to find out how to adjust the lens to infinity. The plus side is close focussing for plant pics.