Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camera profiles maker tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Camera profiles maker tools Reply with quote

I ordered that ColorChecker Passport bundle of software and hardware tools to create camera profiles.
I was tired to deal with ever changing light conditions and Canon's and Leica's unadequate profiles for some colours (especially reds).
Now I will prepare my own custom camera profiles for the 5D Mark II and Leica M9, to be used in Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw (and hopefull in other applications, too).
It should arrive in a couple of days, I will let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon has a (basic) utility for that - Picture Style editor. Works nice enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours of the 5D (I and II) are good enough most of the times, but could use some more redder reds. But that is not a real problem.
The main reason I ordered this tool is the M9. When I work on the photos a bit, I take out of it really gorgeous colours. But I wish not to have to work on the colours every time, hence the wish of a better profile to start with. The one that is distributed with Lightroom is not sufficient (read=sucks). They say there was a great M8 profile for Capture One, because that was the bundled application for the M8. Now Leica has chosen Lightroom for the bundle of M9 and Capture One Pro has not made a M9 profile.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe a particular can make better profiles than adobe
If you want nice reds and nice colors, buy a good wide gamut lcd and a eye-one to calibrate it
it was a revelation for me Shocked
check http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm to find a good lcd and buy it refurbished half price from ebay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, buying a Eizo monitor is my dream, but at the moment I don't have the business prospect to make such an investment. Let's hope crisis goes away soon. For the meantime, being able to easily make a custom camera profile for every project I work on, is already a great step ahead. The software can make a profile automatically. So for instance at my next mode shooting session in november, I will make a photo of the model with the checker at the beginning of the session, that will calibrate my photos for the whole session perfectly.
Not bad if you ask me!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera profiles maker tools Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I was tired to deal with ever changing light conditions and Canon's and Leica's unadequate profiles for some colours (especially reds).

I have always said that being partially color-blind helps in many situations... Laughing

About monitors:
I have an EIZO SX2461W. Really good gamut (96% Adobe RGB), but it has an S-PVA panel.
Look from a certain angle, and the shadows open up 1 stop or more. If you buy a monitor, make sure it has an IPS panel.
Of course, I bought it almost 3 years ago. 24-inch IPS was unthinkable then (something like 3500 Euros or more).

As poilu says, think of it as a medical expense. Your vision is the most valuable asset you have, isn't it ?
After using the EIZO exclusively for a few months, the other monitors would make me dizzy
after 20 minutes or so. Took me some time to realize the cause.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an EIZO last April at a camera fair.
I could see pictures on it, at an angle from where I would have seen nothing on my monitor.
And, the image rendition does not change whatever angle you look from.

Really a terrific monitor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEC make some good monitors too that are close to the eizo league of colour quality etc. A little bit cheaper too I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Eizo exclusively for ten years already... It's like Leica or Zeiss lenses... When you try it, you can't go back...

My old 17" L568 with MVA panel still delivers great colors, even latest TN with LED are much worse.