Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnagar (Komine?) 135/2.8 ex-Praktina
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Sonnagar (Komine?) 135/2.8 ex-Praktina Reply with quote

I picked this up from a friend who is disposing of some ex-garage sale finds (see my Praktina listing on ebay for another of these).

When I got it the diaphragm leaves were dislocated (typical problem), stop-screw on the helical was broken (it would screw off) and it was a Praktina-mount. Opening it up it looked like someone had attempted to fix the diaphragm problem by removing 1/2 the leaves. There were 16 originally, and now it had just 8. I speculate that one or more of the original 16 leaves had broken lugs. Reinstalling 1/2 would give a symmetrical aperture again, but I would rather install all that still work as the total thickness of the diaphragm does not have to be adjusted. A "teardrop" aperture is no problem. If the diaphragm thickness is not adjusted with a shim, its more easy to dislocate them again, like in this case. Anyway, I fixed that, removed the Praktina mount, and put in my own "Frankenstein" M42 adapter, put in a new stop-screw, and adjusted the helical for new infinity focus.

"Sonnagar" is a distributors name. I have seen this same lens with different finishes also sold as a Bittco Vemar, Aetna Coligon, Accura Supertel, Telesar, and other brands. I suspect the maker may have been Nittoh Kogaku (Komine), because one of these others had "N.K.K" marked as well, and it certainly wasn't Nippon Kogaku !

Aetna Coligon and Accura Supertel

Also Coligon

Telesar

So whats good about this thing ? Its an early large-aperture 135, probably dating from the late 1950's-early 1960's, during the "Zebra" era of course, and probably for several years as they aren't really rare. Even with the Zebra design, these are quite distinctive and rather massive lenses for what they are, matching the size of even early automatic 135/2.8's. Minimum focus is a long 6ft/2m, whic was usual. Construction is solid, thick aluminum and brass in the old style.

Performance is very, very good. This thing is really sharp at f/2.8, which is not true for for most 135/2.8's. Bokeh is excellent as far as I can see. No flare problem or fringing. This is just a great lens.

Some samples taken with extension rings for close focus.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all lenses excellent in your hands! Nice looking lens and beautiful samples.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pics so much.

And the lens too. It reminds me the style of the sankor zebra 135/3,5 lens.

Congratulations Luis. One more beauty in your hands.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp images and lovely color on the chili pepper. How do you get the gulls to pose for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've came really close to buying this lens in a couple different brands.
It always comes up when I'm broke.
I'm pretty sure they were Sankor made.You notice it has the E code at the end.Spiratone also used the E code for there version of this lens.
Nice lens , I hadn't seen this version before.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sun version of the 135 in 3.5. Not a Zebra tho., but same maker.
http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-135-3-5-t31292.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: have similar lenses of different names Reply with quote

I have a sonnagar 135/3.5 in exakta mount in excellent condition. I haven't used it, but was tempted to get a 4/3 adapter and give it a try.
(shameless flog) I've been considering parting with it. . .
Also, I have two indentical lenses with different names: Votar(exakta) and a Bittco Super Vemar(m42) both 16-blade 135/3.5, but, one has a blue lens coating and the other is yellow.
Both are clear, the Votar has oily blades and the Bittco has a dark speck in the glass.
In high contrast shots the Bittco suffers from CA, but was stopped down.
The Bittco comes in an exotic leather case, and looks expensive for its day!

I also have a tiny Taika Duo-Focus 140/4.5 16-blade that is pretty scratched up, lacks a mount, looks about the size of a c-mount lens AND mention this because I read somewhere that Bittco lenses, as well as Aetna, Coligon, Sonnagar, etc., were made by , a post-war Japanese start-up, conglomerate, distributor Taika, that were made in partnership with Taisei Kogaku Kogyo Co., Ltd. (TKK), which later became Tamron.
Capt. Jack has several Taika lenses and makes the Tamron connection, but Tamron doesn't mention Taika.
A seperate post here by luisalegria thinks Kyoei made Taika lenses. Anyway, . . .

(Second shameless promotion) The Vemar and Bittco lenses are about to go on the auction block.
I moved and lack space, so a lot of my stuff has to go. Namely, a Panagor 90/2.8 in Nikon mount.
But also, several Vivitars: (37xxx) 35/2.8 in md, 19/3.8, (22xxx) 70-150 w/2x, (28xxx) 200/3.5, macro focusing adapter in md, plus. (sorry, but they need a new home!)
ebay uid ptobum

Thanks for reading