Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic G1 - Anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Panasonic G1 - Anyone? Reply with quote

Anyone use this camera for MF lenses? I am serious considering to buy one. I have an Olympus E-510 and I am wondering if I would loose out on not have IS on the body. What's the EVF like to operate under strong lighting and low light conditions. I suspect that the high ISO performance of the Panny camera would beat the E-510.

I have a broad spectrum of MF experiences. Started with Olympus OM-2, then digital E-300, then moved on to E-510. Then for a good while I was shooting with a FF Canon 5D. Also have a Nikon D2H (9 fps) body. The 5D is now gone. Crying or Very sad

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic G1 - Anyone? Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Anyone use this camera for MF lenses? I am serious considering to buy one. I have an Olympus E-510 and I am wondering if I would loose out on not have IS on the body. What's the EVF like to operate under strong lighting and low light conditions. I suspect that the high ISO performance of the Panny camera would beat the E-510.

I have a broad spectrum of MF experiences. Started with Olympus OM-2, then digital E-300, then moved on to E-510. Then for a good while I was shooting with a FF Canon 5D. Also have a Nikon D2H (9 fps) body. The 5D is now gone. Crying or Very sad

Thanks.

I used to have a Panasonic G1 but I got rid of it quickly.

I own an E-510 and I am happy with it.

IS is a big plus for MF lenses, you need it everytime you need to shoot with 1/60s or less, not to mention telephotos that you may need to shoot with 1/200s to get a sharp photo.

As for ISO performance, prepare to be surprised. The G1 is good up to ISO640 but 800 and upwards is pretty mediocre. Especially ISO1600 is really, really... bad.
Oh and don't think that RAW will save you. There is so much noise that you will prefer to shoot JPEG so the camera may apply Noise Reduction.

The E-510 for me is a very decent camera for Hi-ISO shooting, much better than E-520. You can get very good results just by lowering the sharpness to -2 and even disable the Noise filter.

The only good thing about the G1 was that the EVF was very good and large, it surely can't compete a large optical viewfinder but for an EVF, it was excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic G1 - Anyone? Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

Thanks.

Way better MF lens handling than any of your camera. Pretty noisy , like all 4/3 , but focusing really a joy vs any SLR. You can focusing virtually at any aperture yes even F22 Shocked no dark screen like on SLR if you have split screen in. It has built in 10x live view magnifier if you are unsure in focus, but I using more an more rare simple focusing is at least same accurate what I could get from Olympus E-1+ Katz-Eye split screen. In last half a year all of my digital images was taken with this camera. I think you will love it. Simple micro 4/3 - 4/3 ring available from Ebay vendor Roxsen and Jinfinance with this adapter you can use all of your 4/3 adapters. Micro 4/3 -EOS adapter also available if you have Rollei etc adapter for Canon. Black LCD is very, very good also.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/panasonic-g1-t20948.html

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it easy to get a AF adapter so that I can hold on to my Olympus 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Is it easy to get a AF adapter so that I can hold on to my Olympus 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens? Thanks.

Yes, available but expensive if need to use electronic, over 100 USD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Help me decide please Reply with quote

I finally sourced one for less than €200 body only. Very tempted to go for it now as I have a nice set of FD/FL lenses to go with the camera:

Canon FL 58mm f1.2
Canon FD 50mm f1.8
Vivitar 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro
Canon FD 28mm f2.8
Sigma FD 135mm f2.8 Pantel

But what is holding me back is that I am worried I might regret losing the IS function from my E-510 which I plan to sell with the superb 14-45mm original kit lens

Or may be I should wait a little longer and save up to buy the G10 instead?
Confused

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had IS so I can't say anything than I am fine without IS, if I need help due low light I am using a mono pod or tripod.

I had Nikon D50, Olympus E-300, E-1 and for one afternoon an E-500 this camera is better than any of above list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila.

This is what I can do with IS - all handheld Smile:

E-510 with Tamron 500mm f8 CAT, ISO 400, 1/160s

E-510 with Tokina 400mm f5.6, ISO 400, 1/40s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monopod what I said, if no IS. Cheaper than a new camera Laughing