Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic G1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Panasonic G1 Reply with quote

Hi,

within the last 2 weeks I tested this cam with a lot of different lenses (Leica R, Pentax, some M42 stuff (incl. Takumare), Olympus, Canon FD). Many of them did a really god job.

As you know this cam is compared with others smaller and a lightweight. So at the end I feel that the Olympus OM lenses (also very small and compact) harmonize very well with the G1/GH1 and maybe the GF1. You have a very good weight distribution, better than with other lenses. The quality of these lenses are without doubt too and the lenses and the adapter are easy to mount.

At the moment I do not own any Leica M lens, so maybe that this is also a very good alternative. But - only up to 135mm and more expensive then the OM lenses.

Below some samples with Om lenses >= 50 mm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! impressive samples with the G1 Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Impressive Rolf

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Rolf
Getting the good stuff out of those Zuikos for sure.
How do you like the handling of the Pany?
Is it almost too small? This is my initial impression but would love your opinion.
How would you compare the handling to a RF or another small body??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

how are you ? Did you receive in the meantime the shipment ?

With respect to your question. Primary I bought this cam because I will use my old FD stuff. You know that these are great lenses but not for the digital world. With my Canon bodies I can use these lenses mainly for macro only.

Maybe that I own not the best Canon FD to m4/3 adapter (handling is not so well) so I looked for other adapters. I tried a lot of them and at the end I feel that the OM lenses are the best compromise.

I´m a guy with 1,90 m so my hands are not the smallest. I don´t like to shot every day with the Pana G1 because for my hands the case is to small and the operating components are as well.

Another question is whether you like the digital viewer or not. The first time I used a cam with such a viewer was some years ago with the Leica Digilux 2.

These 2 viewers are not comparable due to their resolution - thats true - but personally I prefer a large analog viewer. There is no flicker and no electrical boost if the light will be worse.

There are few other smaller bodies on the market like actual Olympus E-450 etc. I don´t know these so I couldn´t say to much.

My verdict : Nice cam with good /very good capabilities and results (especially for a lot of different MF lenses) - but only - and here I have the same impression as you - for those who have smaller hands. Also a good replacement for P&S cams or for people shooting only at vacation or so. For me not my "first" cam. I like my 1DsmKIII and the 5DMkII with battery grip. For my hands and my feeling these cams are the better option altough they are much heavier.

Have a nice Sunday evening !

Edit : I have forgotten one thing. The haptic (it looks and feels like rubber) is not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf!

I had a lot of interest in these cameras initially to use with M-mount lenses.
It seems that many feel as you do that the body is just very small.
Also it seems that the performance with non m4/3 wide angle lenses is quite poor.
Adapting a 35mm to shoot as a portrait lens may be OK. As one goes wider the lack of software correction with non native lenses becomes appearant.
That said, It sure would make a nice little Portrait/Macro camera for walk about.
Also It seems the kit lens gets some pretty nice response from photographers (14mm-45mm).
Have you tried that little Pany zoom as well?

I still may try one as I don't always like to carry the expensive RF's around.

Thanks again for your report. And no the post has not delivered yet. I'm excited and will let you know the moment that arrives.
Cheers
~A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

your point with the wide lens is the problem. Due to crop factor 2 you have in effect no chance to have a MF wide lens or super wide lens.

I bought the cam with the kit lens (14-45). The advantage is the IS in it and as written before you have a very good option instead of a P&S cam, but for example not dramatically better as my Canon G10. There are only nuances.

Another option is to buy instead of the kit lens the new 14-140, but this lens is heavy and expensive (in German approx. 800 Euro). So you change your expensive RF´s against an expensive Mini DSLR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any smaller camera, it depends on your hand size. My hand are not really big, so I have no trouble handling the G1.

I have a G1 with 14-45mm & 45-200mm. I bought it partially as a small travel set up and mostly to take advantage of MF lenses including FD lenses.
I was VERY surprised by the performance, and very pleased as a result. I have a lot of MF lenses, and I enjoy using the G1 with these. The constant liveview makes it easy to focus these MF lenses.

The 2x crop factor does limit the usefulness of wide angle lenses, so it's best to get the 14-45mm kit lens for starters. I also have a Sigma 10-20mm for a Pentax, which ends up with a field of view like a 20-40mm lens on FF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added here some images with Olympus OM 2.8/24 mm. Had not so much time so only some shots at my garden into the botany.

All shots with Panasonic G1 and some crop. The last one with more crop and noise reduction to make it a little more smoother.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice photos here you have with the G1. How does it perform under low light condition?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Attila - good idea to make it sticky. Everyone can add his images here.

@my_photography - not used until now. I have a personal "problem" with the electonic VF because in low light, he boosts the (rest) light and then you will have a lot of noise in it. There is a "problem" with tungsten light (like fluorescent light) too. The EVF flickers. I know that this is due to technical/physical limitations - but anyway I don´t like it too much.

Here another image with Leica R 4/180 (shown already at another thread but to have it here as another lens example)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands are fairly large (I'm 195 cm tall), but I don't find the size of the G1 to be a major problem. It's partially a matter of taste. When I had a Sony A700 with a grip I took the grip off to make it smaller for a certain occasion, and I never got around to put it back on...

The flickering on the electronic viewfinder of the G1 is definitely irritating in low light. On the other hand, the viewfinder is big. I wouldn't want to trade it for a small optical viewfinder.

/Erik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blunderstein wrote:
My hands are fairly large (I'm 195 cm tall), but I don't find the size of the G1 to be a major problem. It's partially a matter of taste. When I had a Sony A700 with a grip I took the grip off to make it smaller for a certain occasion, and I never got around to put it back on...

The flickering on the electronic viewfinder of the G1 is definitely irritating in low light. On the other hand, the viewfinder is big. I wouldn't want to trade it for a small optical viewfinder.

/Erik

You have right ! In most cases it is a matter of taste. You like it or not . The technical features and the image results of this little cam are really great. No doubt !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as I said, I was truely surprised by how well the G1 performs....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here another possible combination ! Not absolute common but it works - and not too bad.

Panasonic G1 with Leitz Elmar f:3.5/5cm M39 and adapter M39/M42 and Novoflex M42 to m4/3 adapter (phew!)
(The lens is 55 years old)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added today a sample with Olympus OM Zuiko Macro 3.5/50

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot some times red flower with this lens, I saw best red on DSLR from this lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a Vivitar Ser.1 f:2.8/35-85 with Canon FD mount

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panasonic G1 and Canon FD 4/70-210mm

Last two images with ISO 1000

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful samples!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another variation

Panasonic G1 with EOS to m4/3 adapter and M42 to EOS adapter and S-M-C-Tak 4.5/20 mm with M42 mount

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great samples with a lot of different lenses! I just managed to get a FD adapter for m4/3 and am trying some FD lenses out. Will get some shots out soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add this one. Shot with Canon FD f:4/80-200L

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and this one. Pana G1 and Hexanon f:1.8/85mm

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Pana G1 with Hexanon f:2/35mm