Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage Tractor with Takumar 50 f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Vintage Tractor with Takumar 50 f1.4 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made pic of the day for one of our national newspapers

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/multimedia/camera-club/share-your-photos-on-the-theme-of-thanksgiving/article1748333/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for the picture of the day!

This image proves a point: the myth of Takumar's 1.4/50 super smooth bokeh compared to other 1.4/50mms is, justly, a myth.
The Takumar is a double gauss design just like the Olympus, the Minolta, the Planar, the Nikkor, etc.
the bokeh _will_ be supersmooth indeed when the conditions are favorable. And the same is true for the other mentioned lenses; in harsh conditions, the Tak will give harsh bokeh exactly like the other double gauss lenses.

So always take with caution definite statements about the bokeh of this or that lens, especially when 50mm fast lenses are concerned, because these are really all close relatives. They are more like twin brothers than just brothers. Some even mono-ovulary twins. Some just hethero-ovulary, but still close enough to look very much alike.

The light and background conditions are the decisive factor. There might be subtle differences between the rendition of this or that lens, but when the lenses are the same design (and all major 1.4/50mm are, they are virtually identical), the similarities will be dominating.

So, when the light and background dictate it's going to be a harsh bokeh for 2-Gauss type, it will be a harsh bokeh for every lens of that type.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats dude!
I missed Globe and mail this week. Maybe I'll find tomorrow a copy with your picture.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Dude, this is great! heart felt congratulations!
hmm..they cropped it too much though Wink

Orio wrote:
Congratulations for the picture of the day!

This image proves a point: the myth of Takumar's 1.4/50 super smooth bokeh compared to other 1.4/50mms is, justly, a myth.
The Takumar is a double gauss design just like the Olympus, the Minolta, the Planar, the Nikkor, etc.
the bokeh _will_ be supersmooth indeed when the conditions are favorable. And the same is true for the other mentioned lenses; in harsh conditions, the Tak will give harsh bokeh exactly like the other double gauss lenses......
The light and background conditions are the decisive factor. There might be subtle differences between the rendition of this or that lens, but when the lenses are the same design (and all major 1.4/50mm are, they are virtually identical), the similarities will be dominating.

So, when the light and background dictate it's going to be a harsh bokeh for 2-Gauss type, it will be a harsh bokeh for every lens of that type.

certainly true Orio!. Which make me curious: do you know which other, normal ( or other lens ) would be able to solve this difficult light situation of the background differently, smoother? From what I have seen so far I'd expect the Summilux 1.4/50 to do just a tad 'better'.

Better? Once again we arrive at a point where technical analysis may go against subjective, even common preferences: Isn't it quite obvious that it's exactly these sparkling highlights which made someone choose this photo as the pic of the day, that they are the main reason this photo is noticed and liked? Wink

Here the background bokeh is what we call 'harsh'. With this lighting, who would expect it to be different? Dude must have expected it to be as it is, and composed accordingly, and got a truly impressive result!

Insofar the Tak 1.4/50 sure has not 'super smooth' bokeh, but it certainly has 'relatively' very smooth bokeh, similar or IMO even smoother than most the other mentioned, very similar, very good lenses. Something I like very much about the Tak, the beautiful transition it draws from sharp to oof, can be well appreciated here and for my eyes is what I like best in this photo too

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+. Excellent shot and fantastic bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Dude, great tractor!

Andreas wrote:
Isn't it quite obvious that it's exactly these sparkling highlights which made someone choose this photo as the pic of the day

I am not sure, they crop a lot of the highlights Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I just liked the 3D look of the steering wheel!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!

I love the warm colours, it has a nice 3d look and I like the pumpkins in the background, they add depth after the initial subject has been absorbed.

And as for the bokeh, some will hate it but I think it looks gorgeous!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

certainly true Orio!. Which make me curious: do you know which other, normal ( or other lens ) would be able to solve this difficult light situation of the background differently, smoother? From what I have seen so far I'd expect the Summilux 1.4/50 to do just a tad 'better'.

No, in this situation, it's as harsh as the other double gauss lenses.

The old lenses like Veijo's Radionar are the best option in these cases.
Lenses where the aberrations are not super-corrected.
It's impossible to find a today's normal lens that does that good in bokeh.

Maybe the Volna-9 is the one that does "less bad", so to say.
The Volna is Tessar-based but it's not as corrected as the other modern day's Tessars.