Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petition to Nikon - Custom Firmware Abilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Petition to Nikon - Custom Firmware Abilities Reply with quote

I am trying to start a mass petition to the Nikon corporation in order to get them to facilitate the ability of us (as a community) to use custom firmware on their DSLR's. This would open up a possible HUGE slew of possibilities - bitrate control, func/key improvements, lens presents on all cameras (and better focal length options), possible framerate control on cameras with larger buffers, etc etc. As of now it seems Nikon has everything quite locked down.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/OpenNikon/

Also if anyone has any comments or additions please feel free to contact me and post it here! I know often times things like these can seem futile but I can assure you that signing cannot hurt (especially if you own a Nikon). If anyone also has any questions pertaining to maximizing quality in D-movie, I can also be of assistance there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote for it.

Are you familiar with this? http://www.openraw.org/

Most camera manufacturers keep about 10% of the RAW source code closed, which is why 3rd party RAW converters have better workflow and user interface but when it comes to critically analyzing results, 3rd party software can't match results (especially if it's colour noise, shadow/highlight recovery etc.). Even lens aberrations removal and geometric distortion control is better with 1st party RAW converters than DxO Lightroom etc. simply because the manufacturer knows exactly how and what to compensate with each body and lens combination.

I think opening up the source for both RAW as well as firmware would allow those who deliver better software to take out more of these cameras than is now possible with 1st party software.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will never accept.
Firstly it would be like if they admitted "ok hack our camera because what we did is not good enough"
Secondly, it's too strategic control for the marketing for them to give up control on the camera features.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
They will never accept.
Firstly it would be like if they admitted "ok hack our camera because what we did is not good enough"
Secondly, it's too strategic control for the marketing for them to give up control on the camera features.

+10 - would be the same for all brands. I'd love it too (for Canon...) but it's impossible. In addition, aftersales is already complicated to manage without adding this complexity and you cannot ask the manufacturer to support alternative firmwares...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
Orio wrote:
They will never accept.

+10 - would be the same for all brands. I'd love it too (for Canon...) but it's impossible. In addition, aftersales is already complicated to manage without adding this complexity and you cannot ask the manufacturer to support alternative firmwares...

+1 ... Enabling custom firmware means giving more or less direct control of the hardware to third-party people not specially aware of the embedded hardware limitations ... Without a test bench, would you like to test on your camera$ the firmware i (or someone other) developed ? I won't (unless the manufacturer extends the warranty to cover damages issued by bad firmware) ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extending the warranty is the sole mean of this petition I guess. Because now that the SDK is released, I guess that hacked firmwares do exist...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.

I would like to see some extra features like non-cpu lenses support on my D60, but I'll keep on dreaming.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SDK does not allow custom firmware development. As for Canon and other brands, there already are custom firmwares out for these cameras. Panasonic too. I dont want TOTAL control over Nikon firmware, but at this point Ill take anything I can get. I'd really like more control over the hardware in my D3s.

edit: Open Raw, wow, thats really cool! I never thought of that. However, I feel like if Nikon/Canon released the last 10 percent of this code (in their eyes) it could allow other camera brands to copy them. However, Im sure the community benefit would greatly outweigh this.

The real question is......how do we as a community convince Nikon we really NEED this? I am thinking a limited custom firmware would be the most beneficial to both parties, as it would allow Nikon to still keep its "secrets" under wraps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I think you're flogging a dead horse. I'll sign you're petition cause it can't hurt.

However Nikon just has too many vested interests in maintaining a locked down firmware. At the top of the list is artificial market segmentation, and at the end of the day it won't be a photographer making the decision at Nikon it will be a suit and a bean counter.

Just how will unlocking the firmware to any degree bring Nikon more profit?

I'm not necessarily being rhetorical here either, if you can come up with an economically viable answer to this question then you might have a chance at changing things, otherwise .....