Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Pentax K-5 Reply with quote

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092020pentaxk5preview.asp

16.3MP and ISO 51200 Shocked

Pentax are back in the game Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16.3MPix on a APS-C sensor ? Yerk, awfully unsusable if you are used to stop down at more than f/5.6 Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
16.3MPix on a APS-C sensor ? Yerk, awfully unsusable if you are used to stop down at more than f/5.6 Very Happy

Lucky we're all nuts enough to shoot these old lenses wide open then Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the sensor in K5 is actually the new Aptina-sensor, and not the speculated Sony sensor - I quickly looked at the physical sensor sizes mentioned on DPR-pages (yes, the worst possible source, I know) and the new Nikon had different measurements compared to the new Pentax, indicating a possibility of differnet imaging devices.

About the ISO 50k - it is an extended ISO, meaning that for raw shooters it just loses highlights compared to the highest regular ISO, without any benefits. JPGers might find it useful though, especially if the curve used changes with the extended ISOs instead of using just rolling the bits in a quick and dirty way.

***EDIT***

Ah, the Aptina will only be available Q1 next year, so it's a Sony sensor after all (almost certainly).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really long for this camera! It seems that it outperforms my trusty K-7 in many aspects.

In the meantime I have seen some samples and it appears that the sensor is able to reach the noise levels of FF DSLR's. Interesting times are ahead indeed.

From the Dpreview.com forum (GordonBGood is a well-established member there with a lot of experience on the technical side of sensors):

Quote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:
Gordon how do you think the K5 will fair in noise and DR to say the 5D II? thanks;)

The K-5 will "blow the doors off" the Canon 5D Mark II as to low ISO Dynamic Range and will even surpass the Nikon D700 in this respect.

However, there is no replacement of a high electron count well capacity as to the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) in the brighter tones at higher ISO's, where although the K-5 may appear to surpass the performance of these 35 mm. full frame cameras, it will be done by means of Noise Reduction (NR). There is simply no replacement for being able to gather about twice the number of electrons per photosite for high ISO performance for the brighter tones. That said, the differences aren't all that great as twice the number of electrons only make a real difference in the brightest tones of about a half stop in extra usable high ISO without NR. In addition, the 5D M2 has yet a larger number of photosites, so there will be further benefits to its images when viewed at the same viewing/print size as those of the K-5.

Regards, GordonBGood