Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

fiddleheads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: fiddleheads Reply with quote

Around here, in the spring people gather fiddleheads to eat, i.e. ostrich fern sprouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern

I was a few days late getting out to pick 'em Embarassed but they still photograph nicely.

CZJ zebra Flektogon 35/2.8, Exakta mount, at f/8. This lens is fantastic for closeups of plants and flowers, the close focusing distance makes it less practical for bugs Wink

1) You could probably still eat that one on the left.

2) click for full size, the detail on those tiny leaves is worth it.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learnt something new...I never ever would have thought you could eat certain ferns.You are right about the details...lovely.You have to love the Flek it takes detailed flower images.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddleheads are delicious and very nourishing

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Fiddleheads are delicious and very nourishing

patrickh

To me, they taste like spring Laughing

We gathered fiddleheads every year growing up and I never really appreciated them.

I bought some a couple of years ago, and it turns out they're great when gently steamed instead of boiling the hell out of 'em like my folks do Rolling Eyes

Too bad I missed out this year but next spring I'll visit this spot with the kids. They'll hate it like I used to Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, have to try that out, but they are so pretty, too nice to eat Wink

Great shot!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hmm, have to try that out, but they are so pretty, too nice to eat Wink

Great shot!

If anyone is interested here's a Youtube vid to show how to identify the proper species of fern and what the edible young shoots look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2yEdUkx8UQ

EDIT - if I had to describe the taste it's kind of like asparagus.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say brush off the hairs before cooking.

Tip: introduce wild foods gradually -- first, because the body is not used to digesting such extremely nutritious food, second, because wild food has so much nutrition, much less of it is needed -- eating only small amount at first.

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
EDIT - if I had to describe the taste it's kind of like asparagus.

+1

a little more licorice-like sweetness; slightly more aromatic

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. Those used to be food for dinos. Good to know they can be food for humans too Smile