Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax 167MT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Contax 167MT Reply with quote

I recently purchased a couple of lenses along with a Contax 167MT. I bought the package deal for the lenses and I have no use for the camera body. I would like to know what the value is of the 167MT as I would like to sell it, but want to list it at a reasonable price.

I can post some pictures of it, but it seems to be in really good shape. It powers up, the LCD screen comes on with f/stop and shutter readout info and it seems to function properly. When I click to take a picture it activates the lens as well as the film, well it would if there was film in the camera.

This is a much more advanced camera than when I was shooting a lot of film with a Pentax ME back in the late 70s early 80s.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated in putting a reasonable value on this camera. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax 167MT Reply with quote

Mark Von Lanken wrote:
I recently purchased a couple of lenses along with a Contax 167MT. I bought the package deal for the lenses and I have no use for the camera body. I would like to know what the value is of the 167MT as I would like to sell it, but want to list it at a reasonable price.

If working in all the functions (you need to test it thoroughly before selling), you can get 100-120 Euros for it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

Thanks for your input. So I guess I will be buying a roll of film so I can take some pictures and test it out. Do these cameras have any particular features or functions that cause problems or become faulty that I should be looking for?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Von Lanken wrote:
Hi Orio,

Thanks for your input. So I guess I will be buying a roll of film so I can take some pictures and test it out. Do these cameras have any particular features or functions that cause problems or become faulty that I should be looking for?

167MT is an all electronic camera, so you need to test all electronics: the four shooting modes (program, AV, TV, manual), the accuracy of the times, the flash, the B pose, the stopped down preview button, the self timer.
Most of these you can test without a film in.
You should use an MM lens to test the camera properly.
What you need a film for, is to test the accuracy of the fast times (for the slow times you can do it "by eye"), the absence of light leaks, the trasnport of the film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Contax 167MT Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
you can get 100-120 Euros for it

I got mine for $80 and I love it!
However, immediately after releasing the shutter I am searching for the LCD to see the result Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The footprint of the 167MT + Planar 1,4/50 is just excellent.
You can hide it in your palm, just like Bresson did.
I have yet to put film on it, but I will try it for sure (for the first time after 2002).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the good advice. Instead of me trying to learn the camera, spending a few hours in the process of testing and then possibly overlook something do to my lack of experience with it, I will take it to a good camera repair shop that specializes in vintage cameras.

I will then report their findings, good or bad, when I sell it. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical dealer price in the UK for the 167MT is around £100-£125. Obvious things to test are aperture and speed functions in all modes.

You do not need an MM lens to test MultiMode (Program, Tv) functions on the 167, an ordinary AE lens can be used for this, with only a slight fudge. MM lenses differ from AE in having a small lug which engages with a corresponding lug on the body, and twisting the lens on moves the body lug, which tells the body that an MM lens is engaged and that MM functions can be enabled. You can attach an AE lens then just wedge this lug in place using a small splinter or even a piece of Blu-tack. This done, you will find that the camera will now present Tv and Program options to you, and you can then confirm shutter priority modes and so on. Many people do exactly this fudge for regular photo use, although I don't do it myself, as I rarely use the P or Tv modes anyway.

There is a small window on the back with a diagonal white line showing. This shows film advance, and shows when the film is rewinding, by spinning during film transport. Worth checking, because my first film through my 167 failed, with every exposure made on frame 1, because I hadn't loaded it properly and the first few sprockets ripped. Entirely my fault, not the camera's. Had I checked this window, I'd have spotted the film load error.

Check the obvious things, like the LCD contents match what's seen in the viewfinder. The electronics in my 167 failed ; the camera metered and exposed correctly, but the displays had vanished. My service depot was able to repair it easily.

If you decide to keep it -- I think it's a superb body once you get used to the slider control in place of rotary -- it's worth getting the P5 battery pack. One design feature of the 167 is that the native AAA battery chamber is not isolated from the camera's innards, and a battery leak can be catastrophic. (Guess who's talking from personal experience.) The AA battery chamber in the P5 is isolated from the camera, and at most a battery leak will make a mess of the P5, not the camera electronics.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Contax 167MT Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Orio wrote:
you can get 100-120 Euros for it

I got mine for $80 and I love it!

Well, I got mine for 60 Euros, and it was mint (except for the terrible cigar smoke stink it still carried). But that was a very lucky event. Normally the camera is priced as I said earlier.

Quote:
However, immediately after releasing the shutter I am searching for the LCD to see the result Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Occasionally, I do that too. I hate it. Mad
But I find consolation in the fact that at least I don't walk around with my gaze up and hypnotyzed expression as I watch the LCD of a compact camera which I carry high half a meter in front of me...
oh wait, I have liveview now... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, immediately after releasing the shutter I am searching for the LCD to see the result

last Sunday I made a film with the 167MT, what a large bright viewfinder vs the 5DII
I never look at the back all day, but I also don't check often my lcd on the dslr and it is not clever
when I switch to portrait, I almost all time move the wheel to manual and find it only after some shots
that's something I want they change on the 5DII, more firm wheel and button than doesn't switch so easily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

that's something I want they change on the 5DII, more firm wheel and button than doesn't switch so easily

I recommend the use of a battery grip. It does not eliminate the risk that you mention, but it largely reduces it, because with the grip you can rotate the camera to portrait orientation and still hold it firmly with the same hand that you use for firing the shutter - you don't have to use the left hand at all, if not for a little support. Without the grip the left hand needs to hold the camera where the wheel is located and that is where the incident happen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
poilu wrote:

I recommend the use of a battery grip. It does not eliminate the risk that you mention, but it largely reduces it, because with the grip you can rotate the camera to portrait orientation and still hold it firmly with the same hand that you use for firing the shutter - you don't have to use the left hand at all, if not for a little support. Without the grip the left hand needs to hold the camera where the wheel is located and that is where the incident happen.

I was almost forced to buy the grip (early days of 5DII: If you buy a grip, I will also sell you a battery!).
It never crossed my mind how much I would like it...
It is a great improvement for vertical orientation shots.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I recommend the use of a battery grip

I used battery grip on my 50E and 400D but not anymore because dslr with it doesn't fit in my bag

I just find a review for the 60D and they have add a button you have to push to turn the wheel, seems I was not the only one who complain Very Happy