Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any experience with Rollei to EOS adapters?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Any experience with Rollei to EOS adapters? Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I'm new here on the forum but have been lurking for some time now. Actually you guys got me hooked on all these neat MF lenses and now I have a pile of them - nothing really nice, save maybe a Takumar or two and recently a silver (converted to M42) Jupiter 9 with a purplish coating.

On to my question. I recently aquired a Rollei Planar 50/1.8 HFT made in Singapore and purchased for it an adapter. As I just received the adapter today and took a quick shot or two, the lens seems very sharp but is unable to focus to infinity. The question is, has anyone had this issue? The mfr doesn't mention it cannot focus to infinity and the other adapters I have from the work fine. Is it possible for a lens to be adjusted (internally) to focus to infinity? Can anyone suggest an adapter that will focus to infinity for sure?

Thanks for your comments and assitance.
Darren

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, common problem with QBM-EOS adapters. Most cheap ones can't focus to infinity. Most expensive ones can't either.

You have two options. One would be adjusting the lens (NOT recommended unless you're comfortable disassembling and reassembling lenses). Another would be using a QBM-EOS conversion kit (as opposed to an adapter) like one sold at http://forum.mflenses.com/for-your-convenient-qbm-to-eos-conversion-kitend-t31608.html.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Any need to shave the 5D mirror with those replacement mounts ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting the infinity on your lens is not difficult. Our member LucisPictor posted a guide on this forum but i forget the exact link. The conversion kit is useful if you would like to install an AF chip on your lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hi,

Any need to shave the 5D mirror with those replacement mounts ?

Cheers

The mirror shaving problem is caused by the lens but not the kit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the adapter by Adriano Lolli:

Click here to see on Ebay

He does not make them industrially, he makes just small quantities.
The one I bought could reach infinity. But if you are doubtful you can ask to him (since I notice he does not mention infinity in the ad).
His adapter locks the lens very firmly (opposed to the industrial adapter I bought previously where the lock mechanism was not tight).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaching infinity focus is one thing, but having mirror clearance (on a 5D) is another. Someone posted directions for the 50/1.8 here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933139/0#8851572
That is quite a destructive modification of the lens though, because I think it will be nearly impossible to remove the rear element retaining ring now (in case the lens would need servicing). Then again it's a lens you can get for 65 euros on ebay...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning and thank you for the replys. I received an email back from the supplier of the adapter that claims it will allow infinity focus but...

I have taken apart a few lenses with success so I may try this one as well if the other options don't pan out.

Thank you again and have a great weekend.
Darrenn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Rollei QBM on Canon Reply with quote

As the registration of Rollei 35mm SLR is 44.6mm, while the Canon EOS is 44mm, to focus to infinity using the EOS-Rollei adapter, the thickness of the adapter should not be thicker than 0.6mm. This is provided that nothing is done on the lens. I bought an adapter sometime ago and it was not able to reach infinity, it was sanded down and was able to reach infinity later. The trouble for this is, the focus has to be checked from time to time so that it would be too thin and affect the mechanical integrity. However when sending it down, care should be taken to ensure proper flatness of the surface that the lens is to be mounted, good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the opening of the EOS cameras is wider than that of Rollei cameras, it is possible to produce an adapter that is thin enough where the lens stays and is thicker after, to ensure a dureable mount.
If you look at EOS-Rollei adapters, they are like this. Very thin where the lens is, thicker at the edge.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, was able to take the lens apart (very) easily after receiving your responses and with the help of live view and a couple of loosened screws all is well. It was really quite easy with this lens requiring no more than a jewelers screwdriver and some time.

A couple more quick pics and this lens appears to be quite sharp in the center wide open with a fair amount of CA that seem to be easily fixed in PP.

Thank again.
Darren